PDA

View Full Version : Native American book?

iklenic
13-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Hi everyone, can anyone suggest a book to give me some good back ground about Native American culture, Im in the UK (but with online you can buy anywhere!) and after discovering my guide is Native American I feel drawn to learning more, I am ashamed to say I know very little,
thank you x

Enya
13-03-2011, 04:34 PM
If you want to really know about the native american experience, you could do worse than read 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee' by Lee (I think) Brown.

N.A. culture differs from nation to nation... perhaps you could find out which one your guide belonged to.

Native spirit
13-03-2011, 05:39 PM
:smile: What Enya says about finding out which tribe, your guide belongs to would be a good starting point. for you all you have to do is ask him,

Namaste

glenos
13-03-2011, 05:44 PM
My chap is Lakota I think. I'd be interested too.

G

ces
13-03-2011, 05:54 PM
I have been told I have a native american reiki guide.

The book that Enya mentioned has information for a period of about 30 years during the time when there was great turmoil and clearing on the land. :-( There are many tribes mentioned in the book and some of the well known leaders are documented within.

There is also a book that was written and contains photographs and information from an observation point of view. Edward S Curtis was the photographer not sure if he wrote the accommpanying text.

iklenic
14-03-2011, 10:54 AM
oh I never thought of asking him? I have asked for YEARS!! for a sign, a name anything, and upon waking i heard a very loud and clear "white spear" in my ear, i had asked before bed if he could please give me a name, (had a dream where he came to me told me he was my guide and he was a native american)
I think i will ask, as i know very little i hope any answer i get i will be able to research and it wont be something from my imagination!
thanks everyone :) xx

Racer X
14-03-2011, 02:00 PM
"The Hopi Survival Kit" ......Chief Dan?? Can not remember the author.

Good book.....

"He Walked The Americas by L. Taylor Hansen" is a fun and enlightening book about ..........well, you will see~

Wolfe of Wildwood
25-04-2011, 11:24 PM
lol, iklenic, your guide sounds a lot like mine! he makes me figure everything out for myself too. The only thing he'll actually tell is that he's a wolf, which I can see and other trivial things like that. Everything else is a feeling and images that I have to learn to put into words myself.

Love777
03-06-2011, 10:49 AM
If you want light reading you can try Mary Summer Rain's books that deal with her being taught by No-Eyes, a Native American medicine woman (Chippewa, I believe). M. S. Rain has many books out, so you'd have to make sure you get the ones dealing with No-Eyes. I believe Spirit Song was her first book about No-Eyes. Anyway, I loved that series. The books focused more on No-eye's new-age, spiritual and mystical beliefs than the every day going-ons of her tribe.

Air Spirit
07-07-2011, 03:40 AM
The Sacred Pipe: Black Elk's Account of the Seven Rites of the Oglala Sioux (Civilization of the American Indian Series, Vol. 36) by Joseph Epes Brown

AND

Black Elk: The Sacred Ways of a Lakota

I have not read them yet, but I came across them while doing some book searching. There are reviews posted on Amazon, and ratings are very high.

Wolfe of Wildwood
27-07-2011, 02:55 PM
If you want light reading you can try Mary Summer Rain's books that deal with her being taught by No-Eyes, a Native American medicine woman (Chippewa, I believe). M. S. Rain has many books out, so you'd have to make sure you get the ones dealing with No-Eyes. I believe Spirit Song was her first book about No-Eyes. Anyway, I loved that series. The books focused more on No-eye's new-age, spiritual and mystical beliefs than the every day going-ons of her tribe.
I have one of her books, phoenix rising. it's interesting because I got it accidentally for a quarter at a used book sale, I thought it was a fantasy. It helped introduce me to spirituality, as it turns out.:D