PDA

View Full Version : Games & Hobbies

Honza
18-10-2006, 12:29 PM
There is one thing I really enjoy and that is pursuing a good hobby.
Over the years I have had numerous hobbies, many of which I am still interested in now.
I find pursuing a good hobby very theraputic, and not only that it is very rewarding. There is a word which sums it up and that is RECREATION, which is basically RE + CREATION. What I mean is that enjoying yourself and playing is creative.
Of all the hobbies I have had the one I'm enjoying most at the moment and over the last 10 years is, funnily enough, wargaming.
I've found THE most amazing wargame called Advanced Squad Leader; its a second world war tactical game which is very detailed, beautiful, and comprehensive.
I find playing this game very, very spiritual and deep. Its my meditation and touches upon vocation.
Findind the right partner to play this game with is a bit tricky,but I've been blessed over the years with very 'sound' opponents. They were/are not particularly spiritual but they are very good people.
I hope there are other people who have found 'hobbies' which they find facinating and rewarding. Being spiritual can only make good pastimes more of an experience.
Heres to RE-CREATION; games, hobbies et al. :D :D

Honza
25-10-2006, 03:54 AM
Does no one else have any hobbies or pastimes that they consider very spiritual?
Even going for walks in the countryside can be considered a hobby and can, by people like us be considered a spiritual pastime.
What I was getting at was activities which enhance our natural sensitivity and help us feel better, and take us further down the 'path'.
Having something to concentrate on can focus our mind and attention and we can 'lose' ourself for a few hours in enjoyment, in spiritual activity.
Can't be bad! :bunny:

BLAIR2BE
25-10-2006, 04:01 AM
hey honza,
well i dont get to them very much lately, but ive got some hobbies that are pure spiritual.
camping, canoeing, drawing, making music, listening to music.
there is nothing like being in nature, away from all the concrete, and modern communication (noise); man made constructs (who can think in all of this).
my drawing comes from somewhere outside of my brain, as i have never planned a drawing (not any that i liked enough to keep anyway). they just flow...
these activities do focus the mind on something spiritual and quite fun, creating, for me, a positive energy flow. so i do know what you are talking about.
anyway, this game, is it a board game, video game, etc? i think i may enjoy somthing like this (mabey).

Honza
25-10-2006, 04:14 AM
The game is a board game; it has board maps and cardboard counters and printed mapsheets.
Over the years I've collected scores of maps and mapsheets and literally thousands of counters to place and move on the maps.
People who play Advanced Squad Leader find it obsessive and compulsive.
Its that good.
Look it up on the internet; you may find it interesting.