PDA

View Full Version : The true humility of "I am God"

CuriousSnowflake
11-03-2011, 01:15 PM
More than a couple of people I've run into here have voiced the thought that stating "I am God" in the context of true Oneness is a statement of ego, of self-aggrandizement. When I say "true Oneness", what I mean is the idea that All Is One and all separation is just a perception. I contrast this with the idea of collectivism; that "God" is an amalgam, the sum total of all existences, and that we are part of the whole. I disagree with collectivism because the idea that there can be parts of "God" that are less than the whole of "God" is a limitation upon the Divine. I believe we seem separate, and that we believe we are separate because it is useful for us to do so, but that the separation does not really exist.

But back to my main point. The realization of true Oneness is a realization perfect non-separation, of perfect Unity with All That Is and Is Not, and thus Unity/Am-ness with the Divine. Such realizations have been documented by mystics and sages throughout history ("I and the Father are One" being the most famous example), but when stated are often interpreted by others as the height of egotism and even blasphemy (remember, "I AM" is why the Pharisees turned Jesus over to the Romans).

But a true statement of "I am God" is not and cannot be a statement of ego, for to truly say "I am One" means that you are also saying "I am One with everyone and everything". To truly say "I am God" also means "I am One with that bag lady, and that handicapped person, and that starving child, and that worm in the mud, and that tree being chopped down, and.....". It is humility, not ego, that allows this realization.

Thus, "I am God" is the ultimate humble statement, if said truthfully.

CS

Rah nam
11-03-2011, 01:21 PM
I am god also, yes.
In this context god has to be all that is.

3dnow
11-03-2011, 02:04 PM
But a true statement of "I am God" is not and cannot be a statement of ego, for to truly say "I am One" means that you are also saying "I am One with everyone and everything". To truly say "I am God" also means "I am One with that bag lady, and that handicapped person, and that starving child, and that worm in the mud, and that tree being chopped down, and.....". It is humility, not ego, that allows this realization.

Thus, "I am God" is the ultimate humble statement, if said truthfully.

CS
Hi CS, but you are also one with Einstein, Mozart etc in this case.

3dnow

Ciqala
11-03-2011, 11:38 PM
I also agree that "I am God", brings humility and oneness, helps connect with the universal energies of all life, and that source lives in everything and all people.

I'm sure there are those who don't understand the statement and confuse it, with ego based worship of ones self, or the idea of them as an individual being one egotistical creator of all life and brings forgetfulness of everything in life being one in the end. The problem that i've witnessed in some folks which at times creates the ego thinking, is teetering off the balance of, power, powerless. Being one connects us to source and all things, and lends us the one universal power which makes us whole and at times to feel powerful *which can sometimes lead to the ego minds of this statement*, yet ironically, another segment of being humble, is recognizing the vastness of the universe being one and this at times makes us feel small, weak, pitiful and powerless which brings us amazing recognition of humility therefore that if there is something more powerful than us, and we connect to it, we can be freed, yet on the other hand this also can create ego in the form of fear of the unknown, and control seeking issues.

nventr
12-03-2011, 03:45 AM
That which you speak of is what you are. It is not possible to speak of anything outside of you or your perceptions.

If you speak of ego, then that is your truth. There is no question that ego is in play. It is smart to disregard everything this person says.

If you speak of God, then that too is truth. However, there has to be some proof, some other way of detecting honesty. Too many times have these words been spoken to the detriment of man and mankind.

While it is not smart to believe every one who says, "I AM God," it is also not necessary to automatically crucify or kill those who do.

Internal Queries
12-03-2011, 04:00 AM
i grok "thou art God"

tragblack
12-03-2011, 04:09 AM
i grok "thou art God"

You know what is so strange? As I was reading down the posts, I was planning to use this quote, but as I came to the end, I saw that it had been done for me!

God groks.

Gem
12-03-2011, 04:17 AM
I don't believe in God, and have no notions of being one or seperate or anything of the sort, but I love you guys so if you are God... be nice.

Internal Queries
12-03-2011, 04:29 AM
You know what is so strange? As I was reading down the posts, I was planning to use this quote, but as I came to the end, I saw that it had been done for me!

God groks.

drink deep and share nest, my Water Brother.

pre-dawn
12-03-2011, 04:31 AM
Using "I" in any context is indicative of separation and duality. "I am God/One" is a contradiction in terms. It just makes no sense.

Internal Queries
12-03-2011, 04:33 AM
Using "I" in any context is indicative of separation and duality. "I am God/One" is a contradiction in terms. It just makes no sense.

recognize the "I Am" in all living things and it's not a contradiction.

Perspective
12-03-2011, 06:29 AM
Using "I" in any context is indicative of separation and duality. "I am God/One" is a contradiction in terms. It just makes no sense.Good point, Predawn.
We are walking contradictions...
Temporary, yet eternal. Light & dark... Love & ignorance...
Truth & illusion... Individual yet one with all.

When anyone compliments me, it's not just me they compliment... But all who make me me - from the founders of my country to the life sustaining bacteria living within me.

The idea that I am alone is likely a root of pain, yet it seems to be a necessary illusion... Just as the little assertive toddler needs to pretend she "can do it all by herself."
When i feel most spiritual, I don't feel alone, but more "all one."

CuriousSnowflake
12-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi CS, but you are also one with Einstein, Mozart etc in this case.

3dnow

Oh, of course, I was just trying to point out the more humble things that make up Oneness.

CS

CuriousSnowflake
12-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I also agree that "I am God", brings humility and oneness, helps connect with the universal energies of all life, and that source lives in everything and all people.

I'm sure there are those who don't understand the statement and confuse it, with ego based worship of ones self, or the idea of them as an individual being one egotistical creator of all life and brings forgetfulness of everything in life being one in the end. The problem that i've witnessed in some folks which at times creates the ego thinking, is teetering off the balance of, power, powerless. Being one connects us to source and all things, and lends us the one universal power which makes us whole and at times to feel powerful *which can sometimes lead to the ego minds of this statement*, yet ironically, another segment of being humble, is recognizing the vastness of the universe being one and this at times makes us feel small, weak, pitiful and powerless which brings us amazing recognition of humility therefore that if there is something more powerful than us, and we connect to it, we can be freed, yet on the other hand this also can create ego in the form of fear of the unknown, and control seeking issues.

Actually, neither ideas of power nor of powerlessness should be cultivated, because they are a dichotomy, and all dichotomies are rooted in ideas of separateness. The idea of being powerful only makes sense in the space of the idea of weakness, and vice versa. True Oneness renders all dichotomies meaningless, for it contains both, transcends both, and renders both irrelevant.

CS

CuriousSnowflake
12-03-2011, 01:14 PM
That which you speak of is what you are. It is not possible to speak of anything outside of you or your perceptions.

The key to growth, then, would be to expand your perceptions? That's basically what I was saying.

If you speak of God, then that too is truth. However, there has to be some proof, some other way of detecting honesty. Too many times have these words been spoken to the detriment of man and mankind.

While it is not smart to believe every one who says, "I AM God," it is also not necessary to automatically crucify or kill those who do.

I'd say there is a world of difference between proof and honesty. IMHO, proof is irrelevant; proof to one person is not proof to another. To many a Christian, the Bible is all the proof they need, yet I have always found it lacking. Proof is nothing more than the manifestation of one's preferences.

Honesty is far more important, but if anything is even more arbitrary. In truth, self-honesty is all that really matters. "To thine own self be true, and it shall follow, as the night the day, thou canst then be false to any man". Be true to your ideas, accept that others are different from you (and must be) and you will go a long way toward creating a peaceful life.

If I am correct, and all is Oneness, then in truth there are no "smart" and "not smart" choices and actions in the world. All that we do, are, and experience is perfection. Smart and not-smart are just another dichotomy, internal judgements and labels we create in our process of self-definition. That which you call "not smart" is nothing more than the things you do not prefer and the consequences you foresee from such manifestations.

CS

CuriousSnowflake
12-03-2011, 01:31 PM

It's not that it makes no sense, it's that we are trying to describe something that language is not equipped to describe. We could say "all is One" and I do use that phrase as well, but such a phrase lacks the personal impact of "I am God". Therefore I use both, depending on what tone I am trying to set.

Also, you imply that Oneness has no singular consciousness when you say "I am God" is a contradiction. We have (or appear to have) singular consciousness, Oneness contains all things and all possibilities, therefore Oneness contains singular consciousness. It is obviously not limited to it, but it is part and parcel with the entire idea of Oneness.

In a way, it can be described in Trinitarian terms. God the Father is pure Oneness, absolute singularity. God the Son is individual manifestation, the "I" concept. God the Holy Spirit is collectivism, the whole of the parts. None of these three is any less or any more the true nature of Oneness than the others, and in fact Oneness contains all three without contradiction.

That which we label "contradiction" is often a mirror indicating the limits of our understanding.

CS

numerouno
12-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Actually I am one (numerouno= number 1)

Everyone who wants to become one with god is a personification of ego. Although do understand what OP is saying. The truth is god is god and we a servants, oneness is when I obey his will in this is separated oneness with the supreme. However god is no god without us, our existence gives him this status. At the sametime he is the source of my existence.

CuriousSnowflake
12-03-2011, 01:46 PM
The idea that I am alone is likely a root of pain, yet it seems to be a necessary illusion... Just as the little assertive toddler needs to pretend she "can do it all by herself."

Well, here we get into a BIG ol' can of worms, because this delves into the question "if Oneness is true, why do we perceive separateness?" I don't want to go on endlessly about it (and I'm short on time) so I'll be succinct. Separation was created in order to create experience, because in pure Oneness, there is concept, but experience is impossible. This is because in order for there to be experience, there must be something to experience. Basically, there has to be separation into experience and experiencer, or at least the perception of and belief in such. It is the belief in separation that creates the aloneness. Aloneness is the result of forgetting that separation is only a perception.

That's the fast and dirty. If you want more detail on my ideas of this, let me know. :wink:

When i feel most spiritual, I don't feel alone, but more "all one."

Dis me likey! :smile: :smile:

CS

CuriousSnowflake
12-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Actually I am one (numerouno= number 1)

Everyone who wants to become one with god is a personification of ego. Although do understand what OP is saying. The truth is god is god and we a servants, oneness is when I obey his will in this is separated oneness with the supreme. However god is no god without us, our existence gives him this status. At the sametime he is the source of my existence.

Why does this God of yours have so many needs? He needs to be served, he needs us for his status as God, he needs us to obey. Why?

CS

Simon Karlos
01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
"I am God" is the ultimate humble statement, if said truthfully.CS

I really enjoyed your post, CS! Yes, the ultimate human expression is one that is lived fully, in alignment with the spiritual essence of those words. That's the statement. Deep, humble appreciation! :hug2: