PDA

View Full Version : Your local legend...???

nightowl
11-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Almost every town has its legend and ghost stories. What are some of the legends or stories from your town. :smile:

In my neck of the woods we have the legend of Moll Dyer.

Moll Dyer (died c. 1697?) is the name of a legendary 17th-century resident of Leonardtown, Maryland who was said to have been accused of witchcraft and chased out of her home by the local townsfolk on a winter night. Her body was found a few days later, partially frozen to a large stone. Stories say her spirit haunts the land, looking for the men who forced her from her home. The land near her cabin is said to be cursed, never again growing good crops, and an unusual number of lightning strikes have been recorded there.

It is said the rock they found her on bear her hand imprints. They have moved the stone to the county courthouse where it is on display for visitors to see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moll_Dyer

nightowl

mava
11-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Freaaaky.
This is such a great idea for a thread!!!!!!!

I don't really know of any myths from my town, but I can't wait to see what others post!

Internal Queries
11-03-2011, 02:56 PM
no ghostly legends in or around my tiny present hometown. plenty of history, though ... like the tragic black township of Rosewood was not far from where i live.

i made Key West my hometown for 15 years before moving to the boonies ... now THAT'S a legend filled town.

nightowl
11-03-2011, 08:00 PM
no ghostly legends in or around my tiny present hometown. plenty of history, though ... like the tragic black township of Rosewood was not far from where i live.

i made Key West my hometown for 15 years before moving to the boonies ... now THAT'S a legend filled town.

How about sharing some of the stories from Key West? Please...:D

Thanks Mava, I am hoping to here some neat stories too! :smile:

Internal Queries
11-03-2011, 08:11 PM
How about sharing some of the stories from Key West? Please...:D

Thanks Mava, I am hoping to here some neat stories too! :smile:

well, there's this true story about this man who was so in love with his girlfriend that when she died he stole her body from her grave and took her home. he then enshrined her body and lived with it for like 7 or 8 years. ew! talk about attachments.

of course, the Hemmingway House is apparently haunted by Hemmingway. and the little New Orleans style cemetary, the old fort and the lighthouse are also haunted. i, personally, never encountered Hemmingway or any of the other ghosts purported to be haunting Key West.

nightowl
11-03-2011, 08:24 PM
well, there's this true story about this man who was so in love with his girlfriend that when she died he stole her body from her grave and took her home. he then enshrined her body and lived with it for like 7 or 8 years. ew! talk about attachments.

of course, the Hemmingway House is apparently haunted by Hemmingway. and the little New Orleans style cemetary, the old fort and the lighthouse are also haunted. i, personally, never encountered Hemmingway or any of the other ghosts purported to be haunting Key West.

:icon_eek: eww is right! I'm all for love but....geese!

...New Orleans style cemetary, must have some above ground tombs and crypts? They are eerie and neat. In the bigger New Orleans cemetaries some of those crypts are really decked out. I remember seeing one with a chandelier inside and stained glass windows.

Internal Queries
11-03-2011, 08:57 PM
:icon_eek: eww is right! I'm all for love but....geese!

...New Orleans style cemetary, must have some above ground tombs and crypts? They are eerie and neat. In the bigger New Orleans cemetaries some of those crypts are really decked out. I remember seeing one with a chandelier inside and stained glass windows.

yep, Key West is just a big hunk of coral rock so there's no way to dig deep graves so the little cemetary is all vaults, crypts and tombs. it's pretty cool but far smaller than those cemetaries in New Orleans. i had one of my clearest "ghost" sightings in one of those old New Orleans cemetaries.

oh hey! DOH! how could i forget? i grew up in one of the most legend ridden areas of America! i grew up in N. Tarrytown where the Legend of Sleepy Hollow took place, which is not far from the mountain where Rip Van Winkle took his long nap. when i was kid i used to see "ghosts" in the Sleepy Hollow cemetary all the time. i used play inside and around the famous Old Dutch Church.

nightowl
11-03-2011, 09:07 PM
oh hey! DOH! how could i forget? i grew up in one of the most legend ridden areas of America! i grew up in N. Tarrytown where the Legend of Sleepy Hollow took place, which is not far from the mountain where Rip Van Winkle took his long nap. when i was kid i used to see "ghosts" in the Sleepy Hollow cemetary all the time. i used play inside and around the famous Old Dutch Church.

Yes! :D The Sleepy Hollow Legend is my favorite! I am planning on visiting it here real soon. I was thinking of going around Halloween, I think it would be even more awesome then. Have you seen Johnny Depp and Christopher Walken in Tim Burton's version of Sleepy Hollow, it is one of my all time favorite flicks. It is sooo well done!

Mathew James
11-03-2011, 09:17 PM
nj pine barrens - jersey devil - satan had sex with a virgin and a freak flew out, the thing is still flying around out there.

Internal Queries
11-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Yes! :D The Sleepy Hollow Legend is my favorite! I am planning on visiting it here real soon. I was thinking of going around Halloween, I think it would be even more awesome then. Have you seen Johnny Depp and Christopher Walken in Tim Burton's version of Sleepy Hollow, it is one of my all time favorite flicks. It is sooo well done!

yeah, i saw that movie. we have it on DVD. i like it (how can you not like Depp?) but it's nothing like Washington Irving's original story. N. Tarrytown has been renamed Sleepy Hollow, which is, IMO, really lame because Irving specifically mentions N. Tarrytown in his story. i guess town officials decided that changing the town's name would bring in more tourists.

nightowl
11-03-2011, 09:35 PM
nj pine barrens - jersey devil - satan had sex with a virgin and a freak flew out, the thing is still flying around out there.

I remember hearing about the Jersey devil? It does sounds freaky! Have you ever gone out looking for it? :D

nightowl
11-03-2011, 09:38 PM
yeah, i saw that movie. we have it on DVD. i like it (how can you not like Depp?) but it's nothing like Washington Irving's original story. N. Tarrytown has been renamed Sleepy Hollow, which is, IMO, really lame because Irving specifically mentions N. Tarrytown in his story. i guess town officials decided that changing the town's name would bring in more tourists.

I have read Washington Irving's Tales. There is a different element you engage when you read the story. I guess it just grabs your imagination...:smile:

Mathew James
11-03-2011, 10:20 PM
I remember hearing about the Jersey devil? It does sounds freaky! Have you ever gone out looking for it? :D

we would ride dirt bikes and camp out at night alot, but never went looking for it. it is not what they talk about in the movies. the only time it will take anyone and string them up is if they see it. me and several people have had close encounters with it, but we know not to look at it. had it walk around my head one time while sleeping. was on the ground sleeping with my helmet on and could see the shadow of it from some light that was coming off a fire that was going out, just laid there staring at the ground and listening to it walk around, then next thing it was gone.

nightowl
11-03-2011, 11:38 PM
That must have been quite an experience. How is it diffenrt from the movies?
So if you look at it, it will attack?

I think I saw something on it on that paranormal show done by the group from Penn. state...arrghh can't think of the shows name right now.

Mathew James
12-03-2011, 12:27 AM
How is it diffenrt from the movies?
So if you look at it, it will attack?

I think I saw something on it on that paranormal show done by the group from Penn. state...arrghh can't think of the shows name right now.

maybe not the movies, but documentires that investigate it. imo it is trying to communicate with people but freaks out when it sees people starring at it. thats when it sticks small branches through the people and hangs them upside down in the trees.

nightowl
12-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Here is another spot near my town.

Point Lookout State Park

Often called America’s most haunted lighthouse, Point Lookout has had many documented paranormal activity since the 1860’s. Ann Davis, the spirit of the lighthouse’s first keeper, has been seen standing in the stairway and disembodied voices and strange noises have been recorded on audiotape. Also, other figures lost during the Civil War have been seen wandering the basement and grounds searching for graves that were moved a century ago.

Point Lookout was also the largest Confederate Prison of war camp during the Civil War.

During the Civil War, the Point Lookout area housed the largest prison for Confederate soldiers of the war. A crude fence was built around a swampy area to house the prisoners, who were only given tents for shelter. As the population grew, the tents ran out, and soldiers were left out in the elements. They subsequently died horrible deaths en mass from disease and starvation. It is estimated that 4,000 men died in this relatively small area, only to be buried and exhumed 2-3 times before they were finally laid to rest in a common grave which is now marked with a monument bearing their names.

Due to the frequent shipwrecks in the area, the lighthouse was built, but that didn't stop the violent deaths offshore. Accidents continued, culminating in the explosion of a Union gunboat with several mutilated bodies washing up on the shore. The lighthouse itself has also had its share of tragedy, with several keepers dying on the premises while on duty.

Add to all this a hotel that was the diamond of the park in the 19th century that burned to the ground, another ship that was lost in a hurricane offshore, and multiple small vessel accidents, and you begin to see why this place has so much supernatural phenomena going on.
http://www.mysticalblaze.com/GhostsMaryland.htm

There have been many sightings of civil war soldiers running across the roads, hearing of muzzle loading guns firing and extreme cold spots in the dog days of summer. Lots of history and lots of ghost! :smile:

Ciqala
24-03-2011, 08:56 AM
The Cursed Ranch was a small acre ranch with a house on a hill no more than five minutes down the road from our dairy farm. In the midst of this redneck town called Black Creek, there were a lot of strange things that went on. The Cursed Farm was a part of the Black Creekers every day gossip, a major part of history as well. It was known as cursed because of the horrific and unexplained sequence of events, which happened there. The same thing happened to all the people that moved in there.

I heard first hand from my father, as he had always offered the new people who moved onto that land to plough and cultivate the fields and in return keep the silage for his cows. I also witnessed some strange things myself.

The first people who owned the land, were two rich brothers, Chuck and Dave, who owned diamond mines. There is a rumour there is still buried treasure somewhere on the land. The one brother Chuck moved into the house on the hill, with his wife - she was an eskimo woman. The other brother was off working at the mines. Their marriage fell apart, people witnessed her shooting off shot guns at him from their front porch. They say he was quite the drunk, a very happy laid back guy. He would go into the bars around Black Creek, insisting the woman had put a curse on him. He strongly believed it too. The whole neighbourhood could hear her screaming at him. One source told me, he had been quite the stoner, but he had spent a lot of time clearing that land with a tractor and a hoe. Chuck had a lot of big plans for the property, and he loved his work.
Then he died suddenly. It was left up in the air, whether or not it was suicide or murder. He was found in his garage gassed out, had an aneurism.
The other brother Dave, came back from the diamond mines. He bought the eskimo woman out of the estate, because he thought she had murdered his brother, and he moved into the house on the hill with his girlfriend.

Another man named Turkotz moved into the trailer which was below the actual homestead, he did not last long. After him Buffalo Bob moved into the trailer.
Then out of nowhere, Dave began to go insane. His girlfriend began cheating on him with Buffalo Bob who lived down in the trailer on the property.
He went ballistic. I still remember being a kid driving past the fence lines, and he had strung a huge sheet in the air, labeled with offensive language. He had all their furniture in their house, staged on the lawn near the main road.
He began obsessing about building greenhouses, and claimed he wanted to get into agritourism.

Around this time our farm employee Frank quit the job on our farm, and went to work for Dave. They dug out a huge pond on the ranch, and my dad went over to see a bunch of bones at the bottom, the pond was going to be to help the greenhouses. Dave only had a few more months, and his project would have been finished, of course he died before that. But he became paranoid that he was in debt and was poor - when in truth he owned a diamond mine. He would go around telling my father giant conspiracies of how he believed he was poor and bankrupt.
Dave’s weird behaviour was witnessed by my dad. Dave deliberately drove an excavator through his shop and said it was because he couldn’t open the door. There were booze bottles littered everywhere. He would talk to my dad in a Scottish accent he never had before. Then his voice would switch to another accent.
He owned big large white dogs, which would always run to the end of the road and greet me, as I would walk past. They were beautiful. My father witnessed him randomly shoot one while he had been talking to him. All of the white dogs disappeared.
Dave built a giant tower and left dead animal corpses to rot on top of it. Rumours got around thinking he was offering sacrifices or something. He ended up saying it was just because he wanted to attract the eagles so he could shoot them. Police and wildlife ministries got after him, but he never stopped.
He also decided to burn a pile of over 1000 tires. No one knew how he had got a hold of them all. He excavated them into a pile, and dumped gasoline all over them, lit them up. He ended up saying it was because it was cheaper than exposing all of them. But the fire raged out of control, caught the fields on fire, fire trucks and police were rushed to the scene (along with me, and the whole neighbourhood) huge billowing piles of black smoke with black soot falling everywhere.

Before he got the green houses finished, he hung himself. Frank, our ex farm employee who worked for him, hung himself the very next day.

Dave’s family came from Arizona to settle the estate, they finally completed the greenhouses and sold the property.

The next people who bought the cursed ranch were Heather and Al who seemed to be happily married at first. Heather was a native woman as well.
They allowed Buffalo Bob to stay on the property and work for them.
They broke up and went insane. Heather began cheating on Al with Buffalo Bob. Cycle happened all over again.
Bob worked on a fishing boat, one day he went fishing with his buddy, and the boat randomly sank, his buddy died, after that he went insane. He would always shoot at someone he claimed was stealing the potting soil. Did a lot of strange things.
When Al found out Heather was cheating on him, he moved off the property, but began stalking them, he became very violent. They had to get a restraining order. He would shoot at them.
So they decided to buy a guard dog. The dog was shipped in a car to their house, and once it got out, it turned into a real life cujo. You may still be able to find the newspaper reports on that. It took over 30 gun shots from the police, to kill the dog, and it attacked and caused injuries, and locked Heather and Al in the greenhouse. It greatly wounded a random thief stealing potting soil (so there was a guy stealing potting soil, but who steals potting soil?).
Then Buffalo Bob decided to ship a bunch of buffalos in and start a buffalo ranch. Which is where he got his name from. He used a tiny fence. They got out, went mad, and ravaged all of black creek, chased people down, dented cars, and a whole herd of farmers had to get together trying to shoot the buffalo down, but it's impossible to shoot a buffalo. So now we have buffalo in our wilderness. Somehow they managed to kill half the herd, the rest got away.

Anyways, to shorten the last bit, the ranch was cursed and everyone believed it. Lots of people lost people from that farm. Everyone that moved in after them, had the same cycle happen to them, cheating, and random deaths, insanity, and really odd events. One of the latest owners had a catholic priest in to do an exorcism on the ranch. “I would have had the Indians out there with their drums,” one of my neighbours told me. Funny stuff. But weird things still happened.
Things began to quiet down around 2 years ago, when these new people moved in, we keep expecting something weird to go down. Nothing has happened so far, so perhaps the exorcism worked. My dad is best buddies with the folks in that house now. The guy is a taxidermist, and his wife, they don't get along to well, he has his own plane, they fixed up the place real nice. But so far nothing horrible has happened. That place has had a lot of history, and for years i was terrified to set foot on that land. I still am. I don't like curses.

tmf
24-03-2011, 11:42 PM
The Seven Gates of Hell

For a nice little town in southern Pennsylvania, York seems to be unusually blessed with portals to the underworld. One local legend speaks of Seven Gates of Hell in a wood on the outskirts of a town that some signs call Hallam and others call Hellam (we’re not making this up). If you go through these seven gates, you will go straight to hell, they say, but they insist that nobody has ever made it past the fifth gate.

The gates begin in the woods off Trout Run Road, which was once the scene of a tragic asylum fire. But if, as the church tells us, the road to hell is wide and well-traveled, and Weird PA has some doubts about this York county portal. The first gate is hard enough to see, standing as it does half-hidden by the undergrowth at a bend in the road. As if to confuse the issue, there are two other gates right beside it. But it’s the middle one, a buckled iron pipe affair with a loose, rotten frame, that they call the First Gate. The other two are merely distractions. And the remaining six gates? Well, here’s the catch: Gates Two through Seven are invisible during the day. But by the half-light of night, you can find them by squeezing past the first gate and tramping through the undergrowth of the protected forest behind it. (Of course, in the dark, it’s hard to see even the no trespassing signs liberally posted on trees, so the gates will be an even more obscure goal.) To your left, you find a large circular clearing that at least one coven of Wiccans use for their meetings and ceremonies. The gates stand deeper in the woods.

During our research trek (a daytime excursion, it’s true), we found no gates past the first one, but plenty of felled trees that would look like gates by night—bent boughs that even a closed mind could see as barricades to another world. Despite our doubts, I must confess, we stopped after going past five of these broken-down trees and decided to go back to the car. After all, there’s no sense in being reckless.:icon_eek:

tmf
24-03-2011, 11:47 PM
The local murder that made international news in 1928 will be revisited in a new exhibit scheduled to open at the Nelson Rehmeyer house on Rehmeyers Hollow Rd. This was the site of the infamous murder of the "Witch of Rehmeyers Hollow" also known as the Hex murder. After years of whispers, mis-information and ghost stories, the home of Nelson Rehmeyer will be opened as an historical exhibit in the summer of 2007. The exhibit will tell the true and complete story of local legend and Pow Wow doctor Nelson Rehmeyer known as the Witch of Rehmeyer’s Hollow. His murder in 1928 was a media sensation much like that of O.J. Simpson or Anna Nicole Smith is in our time. The exhibit will show actual items owned by Rehmeyer on the night of his death. Visitors can take the tour and turn back the clock to the night when 3 men came for a book and left with blood on their hands thus sparking the trial of the century here in York County. The exhibit will be open to the public by scheduled tours and special appointments only. An admission fee will be charged.

nightowl
25-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Interesting Ciqala,
Did anyone check the history of the land? Where did the bones come from in the bottom of the pond, any clue?

tmf,

So was the Pow Wow witch killed for his pow wow book?? Must have been some powerful old world magic in it huh?

tmf
25-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Interesting Ciqala,
Did anyone check the history of the land? Where did the bones come from in the bottom of the pond, any clue?

tmf,

So was the Pow Wow witch killed for his pow wow book?? Must have been some powerful old world magic in it huh?
They killed him to break the curse.Dont know what the curse was

Ciqala
25-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Interesting Ciqala,

I checked into the history of the land, did a whole research yet the only thing i can conclude is the eskimo woman was really into her culture and knew how to harness curses. That's what everyone else thought to. They never checked into the bones, just as they didn't check into chuck's murder. It's a very small town.

The history of Black Creek, well it's pretty close to forbidden plateau, that is the mountain where the k'omoks coast salish natives would use as their sacred burial grounds. A river runs through Forbidden (has it's name for good reason) many people die of freak accidents around there, over 30 drownings a year, lots of suicides, deaths, accidents, the natives of the area believe it is because people are trespassing on sacred ground. People who respect the place don't have a problem. Bad things happen when people disturb burial sites and sacred grounds.

Black Creek is pretty far from that mountain, in fact our farm was underneath Mount Washington, but it is said natives lived around this area, and would come out here to die.
On our farm, there was a very sacred forest i referred to as "my woods" where i met the raven man - those woods were sacred grounds.
The longest history reports back, is a giant forest fire, which covered most of the island, when white men first came to the land and began logging and clearing off the forests. They came from around campbell river harbour. Black creek is between campbell and the comox valley. They made a long dirt road through black creek. Set trees on fire, thought they could control it, but it wiped out the first growth trees. On my property you can still see burnt trees that survived.

actually my old property, my parent's sold the farm last year. we are town folks now, live half an hour away from there :)

nightowl
25-03-2011, 01:54 AM
I checked into the history of the land, did a whole research yet the only thing i can conclude is the eskimo woman was really into her culture and knew how to harness curses. That's what everyone else thought to. They never checked into the bones, just as they didn't check into chuck's murder. It's a very small town.

The history of Black Creek, well it's pretty close to forbidden plateau, that is the mountain where the k'omoks coast salish natives would use as their sacred burial grounds. A river runs through Forbidden (has it's name for good reason) many people die of freak accidents around there, over 30 drownings a year, lots of suicides, deaths, accidents, the natives of the area believe it is because people are trespassing on sacred ground. People who respect the place don't have a problem. Bad things happen when people disturb burial sites and sacred grounds.

Black Creek is pretty far from that mountain, in fact our farm was underneath Mount Washington, but it is said natives lived around this area, and would come out here to die.
On our farm, there was a very sacred forest i referred to as "my woods" where i met the raven man - those woods were sacred grounds.
The longest history reports back, is a giant forest fire, which covered most of the island, when white men first came to the land and began logging and clearing off the forests. They came from around campbell river harbour. Black creek is between campbell and the comox valley. They made a long dirt road through black creek. Set trees on fire, thought they could control it, but it wiped out the first growth trees. On my property you can still see burnt trees that survived.

actually my old property, my parent's sold the farm last year. we are town folks now, live half an hour away from there :)

Wow sounds like the land has some deep scars...sad :icon_frown:

dfurn
03-04-2011, 07:59 PM
I live near a town in the UK where Mother Shipton lived. She was a witch who *supposedly* lived in a cave in Knaresborough, she told fortunes and created prophecies. There is also a waterfall which turns objects to stone, I guess its a high mineral count in the water, but its pretty impressive when you're a child.

I can't post URL's yet but google mother shipton and the petrifying well and you'll see what I mean :)

norseman
03-04-2011, 08:20 PM
http://www.mothershiptonscave.com/intro.php :D

mahakali
03-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I lived in Henry county maybe a half mile from these tracks. not to mention on the same road, Jonesborough road, there are native American burial grounds and the bodies of slaves that kept getting dug up when trying to widen this road :/ and yes my house was very haunted! theres also a ghost town from the 1700's right around there called shingle roof, oh man is it spooky!

posted from http://georgiamysteries.blogspot.com/2008/08/mcdonough-train-wreck-might-be.html (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fgeo rgiamysteries.blogspot.com%252F2008%252F08%252Fmcd onough-train-wreck-might-be.html)Camp Creek Train Wreck of 1900 Might Be Responsible for Haunted McDonough Square

What is oftentimes called Georgia's own Titanic story took place in Henry County, Georgia on June 23, 1900. Near the present-day city of McDonough, there is a small creek called Camp Creek. As in 1900, today there is a railroad track that runs across the creek. However, if you were to visit the site today, the creek flows quietly underneath the railroad crossing. On that fateful day in 1900, the creek was swollen due to three weeks of heavy nonstop rainfall. The railroads were important modes of transportation in 1900, as this was before the mass production of automobiles. The heavy rainfall would spell disaster for Old Number 7, the locomotive that would pull the train northbound from Macon on to the bridge over Camp Creek that fateful day.
I first learned of this event after taking the Haunted History Tour of McDonough tonight led by Caprice Walker and Dan Brooks of Bell, Book and Candle in downtown McDonough, Georgia. Living in the area, the tour was even more enjoyable for me due to my curiosity about the many old buildings and homes in the downtown area. On the tour, Dan and Caprice tell guests of the many historic buildings in downtown McDonough and the ghost stories that have made these buildings so mysterious. On the tour, the two take guests to the square downtown. While it is a very peaceful, serene looking park, there are a number of things that have happened in and on the square that make it the site of some eerie happenings. Perhaps the most intriguing of these is what is called the Camp Creek Train Wreck.
As Old Number 7 sat on the tracks at the McDonough depot waiting for the heavy rainfall and bad weather to pass, it was attached to a combination car, day coach, and Pullman sleeper. There were 48 passengers and crew aboard. The engineer, J.T. Sullivan, was given the orders to wait at McDonough for eastbound Number 27 from Columbus coming in from Luella. Number 27 never came, but the Red Ball Freight carrying two people did come through and was waived on. It later crossed the Camp Creek bridge, becoming the last train to do so before the fateful accident.

Around 9:45 p.m. that night, Sullivan received orders to continue northbound. The passengers were a bit nervous about making the trek in the awful weather, and when told of this by one of his crewman, the engineer is said to have remarked, "We'll either be having breakfast in Atlanta or Hell." As the train neared the bridge, the brick supports underneath the bridge had washed out from under the tracks. By the time the train got to the bridge, it was too late. They applied the brakes on the train, but it did not work. The engine leaped through the air as the tracks fell away underneath, and although it almost made it to the other side, the other cars crashed in to the chasm below. According to Brooks and Walker in their guide to historic and haunted downtown McDonough, "As soon as the train crashed, it was engulfed in flames. The train cars began to fill with water from the swollen creek. Survivors attempted to climb the wreckage, but were swept away in the raging torrent. The scene was one of horror."

Of the 48 people on board the train, only nine survived that night. Those people were taken to the Globe Hotel or the Dunn House downtown on the square to receive any needed medical treatment and to board for the time being. The Globe Hotel is now the home of Scarlett's Retreat in McDonough and is the two story home facing Jonesboro Street. Those bodies that were recovered from the wreckage were taken back to McDonough. They were laid out on the square for identification. Local undertakers, B.B. Carmichael and A.F. Bunn and Company handled much of the work on the bodies.
Brooks and Walker have a theory as to why the square in downtown McDonough is so haunted. They feel that it has a lot to do with the Camp Creek Train Wreck of 1900. In their guide they comment, "Maybe that is why so many places around the square are considered haunted-by the ghosts of the dead who were laid out in the public square. Or maybe it is the ghost of those poor victims where were never recovered from the wreck, seeking their homes and are lingering here not knowing they never made it on their trip.

nightowl
03-04-2011, 09:03 PM
dfurn and norseman

wow, thanks for the link. She was some kind of woman huh? Had the ear of Royalty??? The well story is cool as well. I think I would surely visit this park.

nightowl
03-04-2011, 09:10 PM
mahakali,
What a great story. There sure does seem to be enough cause to believe there would be a lot of activity there. I will have to share this story with my husband he loves train stuff.

dfurn
04-04-2011, 09:43 AM
dfurn and norseman

wow, thanks for the link. She was some kind of woman huh? Had the ear of Royalty??? The well story is cool as well. I think I would surely visit this park.

She was pretty special. She's even mentioned in the diary of Samuel Pepys, who wrote during the great fire of london. He said she had predicted it. Maybe she was secretly an arsonist :icon_eek:

Mira
09-04-2011, 06:45 AM
The local town here where I live the is a story about a man called Fred Fisher who was murdered by his best friend so that his friend could take his land, this happened a long time ago, before cars were invented at least! His friend had told the local authorities that Fred had returned to England and that he had given the land to his friend. Sometime after, Fred's ghost appeared to a landowner near what is now called Fisher's Ghost creek and pointed to the post where his murdered body was buried. The friend who had murdered him was shortly arrested and sent to jail or hung? I do not remember that part of the story. Anyhow the town has a festival in November each year to mark Fred Fisher's ghost. The ghost is still there around the creek where he was murdered, as I have seen him on several occaisions. This story is rather old.

Lady of the Mountain
21-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I live in a beach town. Back in the day before the british arrived and colonised the natives, the sand dunes, stretching for over fifty kms, were used as burial grounds.
As the town has built up, a lot of developers have tried to build residential housing and estates along the beach front, but strange things keep happening to the construction crews, and when they do manage to actually get one built, there is a huge rush of people trying to get into a house on the beach. And an even bigger rush for them to get out after, at the most, a month of living in these places.
A few years ago someone decided to track these people down and ask them why they fled houses they did almost anything to get in to. The answer from them all was the same, they're haunted. That same someone made a documentry about it, and all these people were telling the same story. They would wake up to noises in the house, go to investigate, and find old warriors standing in their hallways, kitchens, bathrooms. They would be watching tv and they would hear chanting, and the chanting would get louder and louder until it seemed like someone was standing right beside them screaming in their ears.
Those were the most common stories to come out of those places, there are many, many others. Not everyone had harmless experiences, a few had violent encounters.
The council has given up trying to build along the actual beachfront, and instead builds across the road from the beach.

nightowl
21-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for sharing this Lady of the Mountain. I have heard many stories about such things being stirred up when graves are disturbed.

They would be watching TV...

This made me chuckle, just the image of these warriors watching TV:D ...wonder what shows they liked??? :wink:

nightowl

Lady of the Mountain
21-06-2011, 11:05 PM
This made me chuckle, just the image of these warriors watching TV:D ...wonder what shows they liked??? :wink: nightowl

:D I should have read it before I posted it. I'm still laughing. :hug2:

nightowl
21-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Hey, I loved it, you know it made me think that they are still very human in their actions. :wink:

nightowl

Time
21-06-2011, 11:29 PM
http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TheSleepingGiant-Ojibwa.html

Any Ojibwe legend or story is from my area, but this one is the main one

nightowl
21-06-2011, 11:37 PM
http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TheSleepingGiant-Ojibwa.html

Any Ojibwe legend or story is from my area, but this one is the main one

Thanks Time for sharing this link. I enjoyed reading the legend. I think I remember seeing the sleeping giant when I visited Thunder Bay. Yes, I survived the mosquitoes as well! :wink:

nightowl

Asrais
21-06-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't know of any local legends where I am now, but back in Ireland, the most local one I know of was the Hellfire club.

Near the top of the Dublin mountains there is a little stone house. The local men would gather to play poker and drink poitín (lethal Irish alcoholic drink). One stormy night a stranger appeared at their door and asked to join there game. The men found that no matter how they cheated, this man always won the game.
After playing for many hours, one of the men dropped one of his cards, bent down to get it and saw under the table that the stranger had cloven hooves, like a goat. He became afraid and ran from the house, finally recognising that he had been playing poker with the Devil himself. The man was found later, struck dumb and wandering in the woods of the Dublin mountains, the others were never seen again.

That is the legend as we were told it, but I did a little research on it and found this http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/life-society/irish-language-legends/myths-and-legends-of-sout/myths-and-legends-in-engl/the-hell-fire-club/ Which is actually a much better story!

I have been to the Hellfire club - it has a very strange feel about it, quite freaky. It was also said that if you ran around it 3 times at midnight the Devil would appear.

Asrais
21-06-2011, 11:55 PM
double post

nightowl
22-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Asrais,
That's one creepy story...I love stuff like this, it really gets ones imagination going in wondering about such things. Did you get any pics when you visited there? Thanks for sharing it :smile:

nightowl

Asrais
22-06-2011, 12:25 AM
I didn't, but there are some pics on the link.

There are lots of local stories about Fairy folk too. Most of them along the lines of a farmer destroying a fairy ring and his family becoming cursed.

Then there's the one about the Delorian (the car from back to the future) factory in Belfast - Its said that the factory was built on a fairy forte. They had all sorts of trouble building it and when it was finally up and running, the cars didn't sell.

Similar thing somewhere in the west, I think it was Mayo, an American guy bought a piece of land and intended to build a house. The locals warned him that what he had bought wasn't just a hill, but a fairy forte. Ignoring the warnings, the man tried to hire local men to build his house, when they refused, he hired in a team from Dublin and work began.
Every evening when the site was locked up, the man would inspect the work that had been done. Every morning something would be wrong with the house, the foundations cracked, machinery broke down, men were injured. Eventually the managed to get the house built and the man prepared his family to move in. The night before they moved in, there was a massive fire, burning the house to the ground. As the man stood looking at the charred remains of his house, he saw a procession of tall, graceful people walking toward the house, then instead of walking up the hill, they walked into it! The man finally understood that the land he owned was actually a portal into the land of Tir na Nog (land of the young/ Fairie). Giving up on his house, he kept the hill in his possession, so that no one else could bother the Fairie. He then bought another piece of land and built his house on that - it was said that he was blessed with good luck from then on.

The moral of all the stories is don't mess with the fair folk!

nightowl
22-06-2011, 12:39 AM
The moral of all the stories is don't mess with the fair folk!

Yeah I hear ya...heheeeee

Well it is good to know why the Delorian was such a mess...heheeeee

I did go to the link, it is a creepy looking place...I can almost feel the energy through the photo...yuck!

I think I have heard of the Hell Fire Clubs before. Are they the same ones that were found in the underground vaults in Scotland?

nightowl

Asrais
22-06-2011, 12:47 AM
I think I have heard of the Hell Fire Clubs before. Are they the same ones that were found in the underground vaults in Scotland?

nightowl

Don't know, but I'm pretty sure they were all over the British Isles and Ireland, so probably.

I love this thread, by the way - it's possibly my favorite ever! :hug:

nightowl
22-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Don't know, but I'm pretty sure they were all over the British Isles and Ireland, so probably.

I love this thread, by the way - it's possibly my favorite ever! :hug:

Cool...

Thanks! It is fun isn't it! So whose the kitty in your avatar? What a beauty! Love cats...:smile:

nightowl

Asrais
22-06-2011, 12:59 AM
That's my cat Magpie - I have another all black called Raven.

nightowl
22-06-2011, 01:08 AM
That's my cat Magpie - I have another all black called Raven.

Magpie and Raven great names...I have two, both black and white, one male Elvis and one elusive female Cleo...I have always had cats and always will!

It would be nice to hear some ghost cat stores or legends, anyone???

nightowl

nightowl
22-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Here's a cat story I found...

Fairport harbor which is on Lake Erie has a historic lighthouse halfway between Cleveland and Ashtabula. This lighthouse once was used as a sentinel, guiding mariners in the 19th century to safety at the mouth of the Grand River. The wife of the lighthouse keeper was bedridden for most of her life due to a serious and lengthy illness. Her bedroom was on the second floor of the lighthouse and she had several cats to keep her company.

Years later when the lighthouse was being turned into a museum, the workers spoke of an eerie presence in the now darkened tower. The curator who lived at the lighthouse once it was a museum swore she saw the gray ghost of a cat on several occasions. Not a woman given to fancy, it was hard not to believe her, although there were skeptics. However, in the year 2000 when workers were installing air conditioning, they found the mummified remains of a gray cat.

http://www.listnow.com/helpingpaws/articles/article_370.html

pretty cool...

nightowl

Asrais
22-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Ooh, I have one!

Irusan, the Irish King of Cats - he's said to stand over 6ft tall and lives in the Hill of Tara, which is the most important and best known of all the Fairy Fortes.

The only tale I know of him is of a woman who lived in a village near the hill. She was married to a drunk, who regularly beat her and treated her terribly. She went to the local wise woman for advise on how to get away from her husband, without losing everything. The wise woman told her to go to the Hill and offer a gift to Irusan and ask for his help. So she went with milk and honey and asked for his help. She recieved no reply, so she left her gifts there and went home.
The next night, her husband was found dead, having been mauled by an animal - the local couldn't figure out what could have done such a thing as there are no dangerous wild animals in Ireland, but the wife knew what had happened.
She returned to the Hill, to thank Irusan with more milk and honey. As she was leaving the side of the Hill opened and out came a massive grey striped cat. He spoke to her, asked her to become his wife and live with him in Tir na Nóg. She was afraid and ran away.
After that, the woman hid in her home. People thought she was grieving and so they left her to it.
More people started dying, night after night more people were found mauled by this animal. So, the woman, knowing it wouldn't stop and that it was she who had angered the cat God, went back to the Hill of Tara and entered it. The murders stopped but the woman was never seen again.

If ever I adopt a grey cat, he will be called Irusan :)

nightowl
22-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Be careful what you wish for there is usually something unseen tied to that wish...:D

nightowl

Asrais
22-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Just read your link - cool stories. Don't think I fancy encountering a headless cat.

My cats see ghosts all the time - I'm also pretty sure we have a third, non physical cat living with us - we often have a cat brush past us, when the other two aren't around. Just last night my husband felt a cat at his feet, but our two were in with me the whole time.

jondav
28-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Not so much local ,as it covers the whole of wales.But a spectre called the"Gwrach y rhibyn" is said to haunt old places ,and waterfalls.the name means "hag of the mist" or "torrent" She usually manifests as a grotesque old crone complete with batlike wings,probably related to the irish banshee.Surpriseinly it has been witnessed fairly recently, in South Wales,by credible witnesses

nightowl
28-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Asrais,

I agree I don't think I would want to encounter a headless cat either, they can be difficult enough at time with a head! heheeee:D

jondav,

That is a cool story. It sounds very much like a written legend, is it tied to one that you know of?

nightowl

Swingdance
03-10-2011, 03:09 AM
One out here tells of a bandit known as El Tejano.

El Tejano (http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=279184.0;wap2)

There was a bandit who was killed by lawmen named Bill Brazelton and he is believed to have been El Tejano.

norseman
07-10-2011, 06:06 PM
I was going to write this up but found the folk song which tells the tale :D

http://youtu.be/B2wjeCjtHFM

panther2eye
07-10-2011, 08:31 PM
where we live there are seven churches that are neat. they say if you go in the 3rd church and try to take one of the bibles of the church, the church wont let you out or it will make the bible so heavy that you wont even be able to pick the bible up. also my dad had told me a story abot how if you go to the road where the churches are you can actually see a little girl in white. he went to the road becase he didnt beleive it and saw her he actually couldnt even start his car for 5 minutes. i wish i new why the churches and road is like this bt i dont

pretty interesting dont you think