PDA

View Full Version : Psalm 23

Lightspirit
08-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Psalm 23 one of the most famous pieces of writing in the bible.

Does it mean anything to you?

PSALM 23 (NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE)

1The LORD is my (A)shepherd,
I shall (B)not want.
2He makes me lie down in (C)green pastures;
He (D)leads me beside (E)quiet waters.
3He (F)restores my soul;
He (G)guides me in the (H)paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.
4Even though I (I)walk through the [a]valley of the shadow of death,
I (J)fear no [b]evil, for (K)You are with me;
Your (L)rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5You (M)prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have (N)anointed my head with oil;
My (O)cup overflows.
6Surely (P)goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will [c](Q)dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Most people If asked about this psalm would describe the Valley of the shadow of death in verse 4 as a metaphor for difficult times only. The valley of the shadow of death is a real geological place in Israel a road between Jericho and Jerusalem that can be risky to walk through. I thought that might be worth sharing if you dont already know.

http://www.ffhl.org/2006/jericho.asp

http://www.olivebranch.com/isreal/mtemp.htm

Gem
08-03-2011, 11:47 AM
The psalm is open to interpretation so I have no idea what it really means.

Lightspirit
08-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Anyway back on track when i discovered that the Valley of the Shadow of death is a real place it made reading psalm 23 so much different, because i always thought it was a metaphor.

Shim
08-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Yes even though the Hebrew nefesh does not mean soul but life breath or life. The image is of someone whose breath has stopped and is then revived, brought back to life. Death is real.

Shim
08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Are you challenging the staff? I would advice against it since it against the rules.

You're on the idiot ignore list buddy.

Lightspirit
08-03-2011, 12:10 PM
When I discovered The valley of the shadow of death was a real geographical place, it really brought new understanding to that psalm. I really like that psalm.

Shim
08-03-2011, 12:43 PM
ON THE TWENTY-THIRD PSALM

In "pastures green"? Not, always; sometimes He

Who knoweth best, in kindness leadeth me

In weary ways, where heavy shadows be.

And by "still waters"? No, not always so;

Oft times the heavy tempests round me blow,

And o'er my soul the waves and billows go.

But when the storm beats loudest, and I cry

Aloud for help, the Master standeth by,

And whispers to my soul, "Lo, it is I."

So, where He leads me, I can safely go,

And in the blest hereafter I shall know,

Why, in His wisdom, He hath led me so.

Author unknown

Lightspirit
08-03-2011, 01:34 PM
The psalm is open to interpretation so I have no idea what it really means. Its like that with that psalm I was just trying to shine a bit of light on it from a great sermon from a lady pastor that visited us once. I thought for those that might not have known about the valley of the shadow of death a real place I might share it. If you do a google search its interesting :)

Shim
08-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Let's pull up a geographical map and see if it's possible to walk around the the valley of the shadow of death :D It reminds me that if one is to begin reading a work allegorically one most continue all the way through as such, does the same apply with metaphor and simile? I can see how that would change everything in regards to the psalm being historical.

hippocratie
08-03-2011, 02:19 PM
The Negro spiritual 'Them Dry Bones' is also a song about the vally of the shadow of death

Royalite
08-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi lightworkerAu! I found myself reading the psalms a few days ago when I was down and out and I found much comfort from reading it. Now that I'm aware that "the valley of the shadow of death" is a real place it makes things much more tangible, though, the metaphor makes it more relatable to me and circumstances that I allow to bring me down.

HOWEVER, reading the psalm in the literal sense makes me appreciate David's walk and gives me restored hope in my own.

I shall (B)not want.
For me I know that God provides all my needs and that I have no reason to worry about anything in the physical world because my first and only love and Supreme is greater than all of this! This is a reminder to me. Seeing it from David's perspective, his poetry makes me feel as though her is reminding himself that thought he is a shepherd over sheep, there is a greater shepherd that takes care of him as well so that he does not have to suffer because of his desires.
3He (F)restores my soul;
For me, though I may have difficulty dealing with the world and its belief in the "flat" of things, I know that my Provider will give me rest. When my soul, my spirit, is in a pit and I see no light at the end of the tunnel, My Father revives me. When I think from David's perspective now he is in the position of his sheep. He explains that passage in line three when he says, "He restores my soul" and I now think of Jesus when he said, "Man does not live on bread and water alone but on every word that comes of the Father's mouth[the mouth of God]".
For His name's sake.
The above makes me think of doing the will of the Father (doing good work). Yet not for your own glory and power which is useless, But for the glory and honor of the Father.
For me I think of protection from dangers both seen and unseen. David seems to place himself again in the position of a sheep. What I enjoy about this and about David is his humility and his faith and confidence in the source of his protection. Seeing that it's a real place, and a dangerous one, I started getting the idea that Jesus may have recited this when he was whisked off in the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil.
My (O)cup overflows.
And I will [c](Q)dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

This speaks of David being chosen by Samuel after the Spirit left Saul. After he was anointed he felt God in his life and spirit and heart to the point of overflowing and he felt so abundantly sure of his walk because he knew beyond a doubt that the Lord was with him and I love this.
For David, he knew that he was chosen and because of the wonderful works that the Lord did for Him he knew that though there were people who mocked him or sought to persecute him or chastise him that the Lord would reaffirm him. He felt sure that he would have a good life because the Lord would be with him always.

Most people If asked about this psalm would describe the Valley of the shadow of death in verse 4 as a metaphor for difficult times only. The valley of the shadow of death is a real geological place in Israel a road between Jericho and Jerusalem that can be risky to walk through. I thought that might be worth sharing if you dont already know.

http://www.ffhl.org/2006/jericho.asp

http://www.olivebranch.com/isreal/mtemp.htm

Kaere
08-03-2011, 03:53 PM
I have edited out several off-topic posts in this thread.

Discussion of the bible and other holy books is very much allowed here.

As a reminder to everyone - at no time is any member EVER to bring another member to task about our site rules. EVER. We have impartial and trained staff to take care of this - which keeps the bickering and bad blood out of member interactions.

If anyone has a problem with any thread, subject, or member - they are to report it to a member of staff.

Thank you - please continue your discussion.

jiraiyaNOmonogatari
08-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I have edited out several off-topic posts in this thread.

Discussion of the bible and other holy books is very much allowed here.

As a reminder to everyone - at no time is any member EVER to bring another member to task about our site rules. EVER. We have impartial and trained staff to take care of this - which keeps the bickering and bad blood out of member interactions.

If anyone has a problem with any thread, subject, or member - they are to report it to a member of staff.

Thank you - please continue your discussion.

Thank you for explaining that...it wouldn't have made sense if this specific rule includes holy books as well, this is a spiritual forums after all.

theophilus
10-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Anyway back on track when i discovered that the Valley of the Shadow of death is a real place it made reading psalm 23 so much different, because i always thought it was a metaphor.I wasn't aware of it being a real place but that fact doesn't mean that it isn't also a metaphor for any problems we face. This isn't the only place where the Bible uses an actual place to illustrate a spiritual truth. When Jesus spoke of Hell he used the word Gehenna, which was the name of a real valley near Jerusalem which served as a garbage dump for the city. The garbage was burned and Jesus used this as a picture of the final destiny of the wicked.

Zenith
11-03-2011, 04:19 AM
Anyway back on track when i discovered that the Valley of the Shadow of death is a real place it made reading psalm 23 so much different, because i always thought it was a metaphor.

The Hebrew צלמות, normally rendered 'shadow of death', is best rendered 'darkness'/'blackness'. The KJV and subsequent translations have assumed the word is comprised of צל ('shadow') and מות ('death'); however, it's probably an abstract plural noun from the Semitic root ṣlm, 'black'.

However, I'm not sure whether the 'valley of darkness' is an actual place. Do you have any links to whomever says this; I would be very interested in reading about this.

athribiristan
11-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Written by David, who before he was king, was a bard and entertainer. This to me is just a simple prayer. The bible says pray as though you have already received. There is also another quote in Matthew that seems to be in the same vein

7But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

9After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

11Give us this day our daily bread.

12And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

13And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

I've highlighted the important part as I read it and I take Psalms 23 to be a similar sort of prayer.

Perspective
13-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Athribiristan,
I like & agree with what you pointed out... that Jesus was teaching us not which repetitious words to pray, but rather the manner in which to pray.
I shall (B)not want.
3He (F)restores my soul;
For His name's sake.
My (O)cup overflows.
And I will [c](Q)dwell in the house of the LORD forever. I think it means, "Be still & know that I am God."
God doesn't really make us to lie down, but when we are still enough, we feel God (the kingdom of God within Luke 17:21).

I like this song of Psalm 23...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss-gJX6rvWE

Lightspirit
14-03-2011, 10:04 AM
The Hebrew צלמות, normally rendered 'shadow of death', is best rendered 'darkness'/'blackness'. The KJV and subsequent translations have assumed the word is comprised of צל ('shadow') and מות ('death'); however, it's probably an abstract plural noun from the Semitic root ṣlm, 'black'.

However, I'm not sure whether the 'valley of darkness' is an actual place. Do you have any links to whomever says this; I would be very interested in reading about this.

In my original post. A lady preacher came to our church from the USA and gave us a sermon on it with pictures. If you look a bit in google you see how Jericho is near it too. I just grabbed the links from a google search.

In one of the links is video of it and the other has some pictures on the page its the third one down.

LadyVirgoxoxo
23-03-2011, 02:25 AM

I shall (B)not want.
3He (F)restores my soul;
For His name's sake.
My (O)cup overflows.
And I will [c](Q)dwell in the house of the LORD forever

The first verse gives me an image of a shepherd gathering sheep, the Lord is the shepherd and his followers are sheep.The second verse means He takes us to a peaceful place. Third: He makes all his followers become holy. 4th: Jesus is always with you, even in the darkest of places. 5th: Still pondering... 6th: You will feel complete when you follow the Lord.

Besides that interpretation I just did I think of scary movies where people will recite that and I think James Dean recited this in East of Eden...I'm not too sure though.