PDA

View Full Version : The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints

Rainbow Maker
06-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi I was just wondering if anybody had any information about The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints?

I am quite a spiritual person and have total faith in the Universe and the Universal Law, I believe in past lives, reincarnation, healing etc etc etc the list goes on as you know. I am a single parent and have bought my child up on this belief system however being a teenager as he is now, he needs and wants to explore the world, its boundaries and other religions and belief systems that are out there. In the last 6 months he has been getting lessons from missionarys from The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints. They are beautiful people, actually young men with fantastic intentions that I see and have even sat in some lessons with them and prayed. My son has now decided that he wants to be baptised but I can see he doesnt quite comprehend this decision.

Does anyone have any information and advice for me?

With oceans of Love and Light

thewordofgod
06-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi I was just wondering if anybody had any information about The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints?

I am quite a spiritual person and have total faith in the Universe and the Universal Law, I believe in past lives, reincarnation, healing etc etc etc the list goes on as you know. I am a single parent and have bought my child up on this belief system however being a teenager as he is now, he needs and wants to explore the world, its boundaries and other religions and belief systems that are out there. In the last 6 months he has been getting lessons from missionarys from The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints. They are beautiful people, actually young men with fantastic intentions that I see and have even sat in some lessons with them and prayed. My son has now decided that he wants to be baptised but I can see he doesnt quite comprehend this decision.

As him if he'd like to believe in God instead of man's religions? I know God so I can lead him to his creator.

Mathew James
06-03-2011, 11:40 PM
My thoughts about exploring religions is that it is a smart thing to do. However, joining one or being approved into one by some ritualistic behavior is not. If you do the rituals as a learning thing to know about another persons culture, that is fine. It is ok to have the experience. Thinking it has anything to do with seeking God is another question. The path to knowledge is learned from within not from without.

thewordofgod
06-03-2011, 11:55 PM
My thoughts about exploring religions is that it is a smart thing to do. However, joining one or being approved into one by some ritualistic behavior is not. If you do the rituals as a learning thing to know about another persons culture, that is fine. It is ok to have the experience. Thinking it has anything to do with seeking God is another question. The path to knowledge is learned from within not from without.

That path to knowledge has already been figured out by the creator who planned everything before creation. He knows his people he will work with to make them sinless saints so he can have them speak his inspired words.

Religion is only a deception he used during this age while he worked with his prophets, Jesus and saints.

nightowl
07-03-2011, 12:55 AM

Rainbow Maker, I sent you a pm. :smile:

nightowl

pre-dawn
07-03-2011, 02:47 AM

Don't let him, if that is possible. It will be the end of exploring "the world, its boundaries and other religions and belief systems that are out there."
Once he is baptised he and they will start working on you. Your beliefs, as you describe them, will be unacceptable to them.
Mormonism seems to have a number of cultish elements, amongst them the use of "young men with fantastic intentions". There is plenty of material on the web to get a broader picture about the Mormons. Whether they are or are not a cult you have to decide.
One thing I am quite certain about is that his joining them will be the end of spiritual openness towards other beliefs and practices.

mattie
07-03-2011, 04:39 AM
This is the Mormon religion. While they have (had to) officially take having multiple wives out of their official church beliefs, there are many communities in the US west where men still have multiple wives. There are MANY problems w/ this.

These missionaries can be very aggressive in how they recruit new members & are relentless when they have a recruit in their sights. I’ve encountered them personally. When I told them I had religious beliefs I was completely comfortable w/ & I considered this inappropriate proselytizing, they got very aggressive & began grilling me about how many times a week I went to church. I told them to scram.

They can come off as very polite & nice, but have a message that, like most organized religions is highly disempowering & regressive. Part of the recruitment sales job is to come off as polite & well intentioned.

As you believe in what could be broadly classified as new age beliefs, it may be part of your son’s individuation to have a phase that explores new beliefs or even rejects your beliefs. It will probably only increase his determination if you try to dissuade him about these new beliefs at this point, insisting that he believe what you believe. It is likely that the more leeway you give him to choose whatever he wants at this point will work for you in the long run as he sees your beliefs as being more tolerant.

Don’t worry about his being baptized. This is just a ritual. My parents were baptists. The real concern w/ this is it entrenches him further into this organized religion.

It might be effective to be extremely frank w/ your son & tell him you appreciate his exploring new beliefs as you did that too at one point & something like if this is his chosen belief, that is his business, but you can't condone a religion that still tolerates the virtual imprisonment of women & forcing girls of 13 & 14 to be the sexual companions of men they don’t know & aren't in love w/ in their 40s & 50s. He might appreciate your talking to him as if he is another adult.

The problems w/ women’s rights occurs far too often to be explained away as an aberrant occurrence. There are entire communities in the US west where this practice of men having multiple spouses is tolerated. They are virtually unregulated because often the local law officials also hold these beliefs. It is very difficult for these young women to get out of these situations. Google Warren Jeffs. Some former Mormon women who were in these situations have organizations that help girls get out of this imprisonment.

You might suggest to him that he is, of course, only getting a certain view from the missionaries & w/o being overly judgmental about them ask for him to review the other side of this religion as he evaluates this. It might be useful to print out or bookmark sites that discuss how these young women are handed off to older men as partners & not given the right to leave. You can have the position that you can’t abide this treatment, & while it isn’t an official position of the religion, it is much too tolerated to get behind it.

It might be interesting to print out this information to discuss it w/ the missionaries! Of course they will spin it & probably already have canned answers for this such as these are renegade groups that the church doesn't condon.

If you can steer him away from this, do so. As pre-dawn notes, there is abundant info. on the Internet about the unfortunate & misogynist practices of this religion.

Keep a very strong connection w/ your son regardless of what he chooses. Some of these cults try to separate young people from their parents & isolate them. I know someone this happened to that got sucked into a cult & taken to the east coast from Louisiana. Fortunately, his parents were financially able to hire a private investigator find him, then them they grabbed him from the cult house & got him away. He didn't mind that they retreived him.

It might be that you will have to take a position of we will just have to agree to disagree about this. Your participating w/ the feel-good stuff the missionaries present can give the appearance of condoning it as OK, therefore giving your son approval to accept this religion, so whether you participate in this is a decision you will have to weigh. You can be present, but not positively participating.

Even if your son goes w/ their beliefs, if you present your side of the argument respectfully to him TRUST that your words will have great weight that he will remember 100s of times after you say them.

Above all, avoid drama w/ him about this as this will only aid the missionaries in recruiting him.

Rainbow Maker
07-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Thank you thank you thank you .... i sooo much appreciate all of your words, thoughts and wisdom. As you know I have always been a spiritualist, I have had many many experiences since I was young, as my gifted son has also. He does appreciate the experiences and gifts that he was given, but as a human/teenage boy, he has a quest to explore. We are always open and honest with each other and have always had a unique relationship, never has it been like mother and son, we are great friends. He hears what I say and I allow him the freedom to explore and to make choices knowing that with each choice he makes there is always a consequence. I do not like to dictate as i know that would push him further away, we discuss things and he is a very mature soul. He does realize that they say he cannot have premarital sex, drink alcohol or caffiene among other things and thought that it did not matter if he was baptized he would still make his own choices and do these things which leads to a whole other ball game of respect, self respect and so forth. He has now decided not to get baptized after this information has come through. So thank you again. If he wants to explore I will help him and allow him to explore but deep in my heart and soul I know that within us is the key. Never the outside of ourselves (thats why I left our spiritual church cos they still teach the outer and not the inner) Anyways oceans of love and light to you all. Thank you, May peace be with us all.

Rainbow Maker
07-03-2011, 11:18 AM
I especially thank you mattie .... i will google warren jeff and i always wondering why only young men and not women come around. I love this site, I knew I would get the concrete evidence to back up my thoughts and feelings. Thank you again.

norseman
10-03-2011, 04:33 PM
I am always offended when Mormons and such come to my door. My answer is always the same - "Go and civilise your own country first"

theophilus
10-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Here is a good source of information about the Mormons:

http://carm.org/mormonism

Royalite
12-03-2011, 01:25 AM
I've never had a mormon come to my door before!!! I've never had an experience with this. They have never tried to engage me in the Bible and one of my acquaintances in high school was a morman. Not even once! Even when I brought up the bible....:confused:

nightowl
12-03-2011, 01:37 AM
I've never had a mormon come to my door before!!! I've never had an experience with this. They have never tried to engage me in the Bible and one of my acquaintances in high school was a morman. Not even once! Even when I brought up the bible....:confused:

heeheeee...don't be upset :smile: You probably didn't have the right temperament...not easily influenced... and they knew it.

Royalite
12-03-2011, 01:58 AM
heeheeee...don't be upset :smile: You probably didn't have the right temperament...not easily influenced... and they knew it.

I guess sooo. I have no experience to share about them now. :D

7he4uthor
25-03-2011, 10:45 AM
the mormons are said to have a vault in utah with the largest geneological records on earth, this includes all peoples from all nations and races.

they [inner core] believe that christ and quetzalcoatl are the same being and that jesus came to america after ascending from jerusalem

[i go now to prepare a place for you]

they have close ties to the cia according to some sites [sources] 1ve checked
but 1 cannot confirm this outright, but have seen alleged documents to support this.

1am told there is a secret inner-core [as with all sucsessfull cults/societies/etc]
and there is the poligamy branch which the inner-core may support [as a patriarchal religion] but distances from publically

read about moronii who found gold tablets, the maya also kept their sacred texts on gold tablets, this may in fact be a clue more than fact, the vatican allegedly melted the tablets but 1 doubt this, they would be in vaults in vatican city unless they have been moved to a safer location as leaked intel from tehran indicates that vatican city is irans first target if/when they get a nike missle of that range.

1 suggest starting with a seasoned elder, 1 cannot advise how to find one, 1ve met many and some are advanced and others are like babes [with elder status]

abikisses
25-03-2011, 12:08 PM
When I was 13 I became baptized through The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, unfortunately for wrong reasons...

I found them very loving, traditional but also very strong opinions, spirit was not allow to grow through Freedom.

There is a channelled message someone, by Kryon if I remember. It must be about 6 years since I read it but I do remember that they said regarding Joseph Smith that he was killed before ALL lost scriptures were found. So a faith was built on incompleteness...

Anyway, I guess your Son is looking to BELONG somewhere, how is the relationship with his Father?

I would encourage looking within. God did not create religion only love, it was man that built churches for their own greed and power.

Blessings
Abikisses

abikisses
25-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Here is the source of what I quoted lovely:

http://kryon.com/inspiritmag/archives/Q-A%20archives/2005-Q%26A/Q%26A-3rdquarter05.html#15

(15) QUESTION: Dear Kryon: I think Joseph Smith [founder of the Mormon faith] was shown something by Spirit, but may not have understood what he was seeing. He speaks of three levels of heaven. Is that the truth; or was he looking at different dimensions and just didn't realize what he was seeing? He says people cannot go from one level to the other; and I do not believe this is so. Also, is there any truth to his idea that a ceremony must take place for families to be together after we leave this Earth? If it is true that we are all part of a greater whole when not here, then what was the truth of what he saw?

ANSWER: Joseph Smith had angelic help, and what he saw was all metaphoric. This is the way Spirit shows Humans the interdimensional aspects of attributes on the other side of the veil. No Human can understand what they see, since their perception is simply not able to cope with something that is outside of their experience.

So Joseph did his best to put it together, and yes, he says interdimensional things which he then attempted to put into 4D (your dimension). He also needed to add to scripture, in his opinion, to bring it up to date. It’s not much different than the writing you see now! (Kryon smile).

We showed Joseph the many souls waiting to be born… a wonderful picture of what you call reincarnation. He only perceived one side of it, however, and never saw it as a circle, something that takes a perception that is way beyond 4D. So you might say that back in an older energy, he tried his best to create a four dimensional construct from his vision.

Like many prophets, he was killed in his own land before he could adjust his concepts, study them more, or receive even more messages that might have made them more succinct. And… like most prophets, a following developed anyway, based on half information which they considered whole. This following has now grown into a religion and millions participate in it. This is no different than Islam, Christianity, or Judaism. All are only part of the truth, but celebrated as the whole truth by fundamentalists who won’t look any further than the information from the past.

Mathew James
25-03-2011, 03:15 PM
...is no different than Islam, Christianity, or Judaism. All are only part of the truth, but celebrated as the whole truth by fundamentalists...

It can not be said any better

clovelly
25-03-2011, 03:46 PM

I don't have any children so I am not sure what I would do in your situation.

Since the LDS have touched him spirituality and he is searching, maybe you could suggest to him to first experience other religions before he gets baptized.
Ask him to wait until he has finished his studies, and in the meantime take him to the Buddhists, Hindi, Kabbalah, Spiritualist Churches, etc. Make sure there are young people at the groups so he can relate to them and any that you can think of that don't have a cult like structure.