PDA

View Full Version : King David

Royalite
06-03-2011, 01:46 AM
I get the feeling that King David often experienced what would be called depression. I often identify with him and find myself reading the psalms when I am experiencing moments of despair or disillusionment over the world and the people in it. David resonates with me in moments like these.

Do any of you have a Psalm that you really enjoy? If so, why do you enjoy it?

Mathew James
06-03-2011, 02:04 AM
P1, because it is the first one.
P23, because it is just cool.

Royalite
06-03-2011, 02:05 AM
P1, because it is the first one.
P23, because it is just cool.

Hahaha! Thanks Mathew James. :smile:

Your personality is a youthful one. :smile:

nightowl
06-03-2011, 03:14 AM
Psalms 30 :smile:

I think King David is probably one of the best Bible figures to show that no matter how spiritual a person is they are still human and experience triumph and defeat in their spiritual walk.

nightowl

Royalite
06-03-2011, 03:24 AM
Psalms 30 :smile:

I think King David is probably one of the best Bible figures to show that no matter how spiritual a person is they are still human and experience triumph and defeat in their spiritual walk.

nightowl

I did not realize the extent to which Jesus often quoted him. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Is one of the quotes I picked up. Sometimes I feel that way when I feel I have been unprogressive or when I find that I was not true to my heart's core and slip down...

I like David. He's sincere and honest and humble in nature. I really like that.

theophilus
10-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Psalm 88 was obviously written by someone who suffered from depression. I find this helpful because I often get depressed and reading this psalm shows me that I am not the only one with this problem.

Shim
11-03-2011, 01:14 AM
I did not realize the extent to which Jesus often quoted him. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Is one of the quotes I picked up. Sometimes I feel that way when I feel I have been unprogressive or when I find that I was not true to my heart's core and slip down...

I like David. He's sincere and honest and humble in nature. I really like that.

Personally I like psalm 51 the best, upon Nathan the prophet's coming to him (David) where he had come to bed with Bathsheba. True repentance!

On another note can you imagine Jesus looking down from the cross and seeing the Roman soldiers casting lots for his clothing psalm 22?

Royalite
11-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Personally I like psalm 51 the best, upon Nathan the prophet's coming to him (David) where he had come to bed with Bathsheba. True repentance!

On another note can you imagine Jesus looking down from the cross and seeing the Roman soldiers casting lots for his clothing psalm 22?

Yes, David was very humble and I really admire that. What I like about David is the way he continued to pursue God even when he erred and this is why God kept his Holy Spirit with him, I believe, because he kept his God in his thoughts no matter what he did. No one's perfect but David strived to be the best he could be for the glory of the Father. :smile:

Mhm. He did say, "Have mercy on them. They know not what they do." But I don't think Jesus cared about clothes considering that he was also the one who said, "Why do you worry about the body, what you will wear?" So I don't think that was a concern. What mattered to Jesus was the intent and that he did the will of the Father (which is good) and all of that was part of the grand scheme of things.