PDA

View Full Version : validity of channeled info

SunMist
05-03-2011, 07:21 AM
I've seen psychics and shamans over the years who tell me that their guides said this or that my guides said that. To me that seems a form of channeling. Sometimes this information feels true and is quite helpful, but other times it seems like it is really just the person's own opinion packaged as "channeled" information. I don't think they are being deliberately deceptive in the latter case, but it does make me question what channeled information to believe.

What do you all think?

Gem
05-03-2011, 07:24 AM
It's not reliable information.

glenos
05-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Most of it is a load of old carp. I have seen and been amongst the best over the last fourty years which gives me a very good idea as to what is and what isn't.
99.9% of the tripe and twaddle spouted by the wannabes would be laughable if it wasn't so serious a subject.

Rah nam
05-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Be aware, whether someone channels, I have come across highly accurate channeled material, or someone criticizes all that is channel, it contains their own values, or the lack of it.

By the way, material from a psychic or medium is mostly not channeled.

Animus27
05-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Most of it is a load of old carp. I have seen and been amongst the best over the last fourty years which gives me a very good idea as to what is and what isn't.
99.9% of the tripe and twaddle spouted by the wannabes would be laughable if it wasn't so serious a subject.
I concur. 100%!

Chrysaetos
05-03-2011, 09:29 AM
What do you all think?There are people out there who make money by deliberately lying.

But in most cases it's probably a form of self-delusion..
It's an easy trap to fall into, you might want to research Cold Reading and the Barnum Effect..

earthprowler
05-03-2011, 10:00 AM
what about cult leaders that claim they do the same thing? and the people they take down that road that leads to a very bad ending for some. haven't several of them told their followers that they were the only ones that could "hear God, Jesus, Buddha, Allah" or whomever? what made these people follow them in blind faith?

SunMist
05-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I have a feeling a few times I was definitely encountering cold reading though I haven't read about the Barnum effect - guessing something about a sucker being born every minute?

So in the rare case where someone really is gifted enough to accurately communicate with guides on behalf of another how do you tell if they are genuine?

Animus27
05-03-2011, 05:17 PM
what about cult leaders that claim they do the same thing? and the people they take down that road that leads to a very bad ending for some. haven't several of them told their followers that they were the only ones that could "hear God, Jesus, Buddha, Allah" or whomever? what made these people follow them in blind faith?
Lack of common sense, a lot of the time. But sometimes it's a genuine desire for a meaningful personal faith, and that gets preyed upon by the cult leader.

Sungirl
05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
to me it's all about discernment.

When I was studying formally our teacher told us something that was pretty life changing and hard to believe. We then broke for lunch and she left the room. We were all talking about it discussing whether we believed it or not.

When she came back she told us this. If someone tells you something and it empowers you, believe it. If it takes your power away, drop it.

For me that works really well.

Who knows what is real channelling or not. But I know that if something I read or am told makes me feel bad I walk away. It may be their truth but it isn't mine as it serves no purpose to my growth.

My favourite one of these (sorry for the digress) is that we all have to work on our stuff and get it cleared by a certain time because there is going to be a mass ascension and those of us that haven't will get left behind.

How does that empower me? How does that help me grow?

It doesn't.

The same people then say that time is a man made thing and we can create time.

So telling me I need to work on my stuff and not slack off is fine as I have all the time I need to do all that I need to do. Now that empowers me and encourages me to stick with the plot :)

mattie
07-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Channeling can run the gamut from outlandishly absurd to valuable information & guidance. It’s not hard to sort out.

We should always use our own discernment.

Afro7hundr
01-04-2011, 09:52 AM
This very topic has been no shortage of anxiety for me the past few days.

I'll elaborate once I've reached 15 posts, but it's definitely some serious stuff.

GentleStrength
01-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Like others have said discernment is a very important concept. It matters less what others SAY they are doing and more how you feel and respond to the information shared.

One good indicator is how much the channel/channeler wants to convince you of their validity/power and have you believe in them. The very best channelers I have heard do not care if you believe they are real separate entities or just a subconscious portion of themselves. They offer information in an attempt to help others and never wish for you to take what they offer as more important than what you think and feel for yourself. This is information given to empower you.

I don't really worry much about the validity of channeling (how can it really be proved one way of the other), I just take the information and if it is positively presented and helpful to me I use it. If not I let it go and look for something else...

Love and Light

manna8288
01-04-2011, 10:19 AM
"If someone tells you something and it empowers you, believe it. If it takes your power away, drop it."

I've never had a reading but I imagine that this would hold true.

Just my two cents.

SunMist
01-04-2011, 11:48 PM
One time I had a reading where I was told that my guides were telling her to tell me that I should do this, that, and the other thing - self-improvement, energy-work type things. I told her these were all things I had already done or were actively doing, but she kept insisting my guides were speaking to her. Then I thought surely my guides know what I've already done?

Another time, different psychic, I was told some very negative information about some people in my life in the name of my protection. It did match the knowledge I already had, but I found it a little scary to get that confirmation. So did it empower me?...in a way, as I was more alert to protect my energies. But in a way it did block viewing those relationships as positively as I might have otherwise.

Sungirl
03-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Another time, different psychic, I was told some very negative information about some people in my life in the name of my protection. It did match the knowledge I already had, but I found it a little scary to get that confirmation. So did it empower me?...in a way, as I was more alert to protect my energies. But in a way it did block viewing those relationships as positively as I might have otherwise.
Yes, it did empower you. It gave you the chance to make an informed decision. The channel wasn't telling you what choice to make, it just gave you more information.

You could have chosen to accept the situation and still love those people, or you could have chosen to view it negatively. Or you could have chosen to completely disregard it. That was your choice to make and nothing to do with the channel.

mattie
03-04-2011, 08:50 AM
This very topic has been no shortage of anxiety for me the past few days.

I'll elaborate once I've reached 15 posts, but it's definitely some serious stuff.

What are you anxious about?

mattie
03-04-2011, 09:28 AM

One good indicator is how much the channel/channeler wants to convince you of their validity/power and have you believe in them. The very best channelers I have heard do not care if you believe they are real separate entities or just a subconscious portion of themselves. They offer information in an attempt to help others and never wish for you to take what they offer as more important than what you think and feel for yourself. This is information given to empower you.

If a channeler or teacher is invested in pushing their information or convincing others this is usually unproductive attachment to the outcome of their information. If their information is the truth they KNOW that others will recognize it as such. What others do w/ the information is their business & how they progress in their journey, not the channeler’s or teacher’s journey. This unattachment is important for teachers/channelers not to get distracted about the drama of the listener/student's processing of the information.

If a channeler/teacher is overly invested in others believing their information this is a useful red flag that should give pause in the process of discernment.

New or unfamiliar concepts often take exploring numerous times to open up to the idea. Balanced, wise, & experienced teachers know this & aren’t overly concerned about whether a reader/listener/student embraces the idea they are currently presenting as they know the process is often cumulative & must proceed at the other person's comfort level. Astute metaphysical teachers encourage the using of one's personal discernment in vetting information, even that which they are offering.

Ideas that cause others to examine their core beliefs can be very unsettling to some while others embrace them eagerly. People have to explore these on their own timetable. To push new concepts on those who need to process this very slowly can be counterproductive.

It is expected w/ new concepts & paradigm change that many, even most will be resistant to them as they examine these new beliefs. Ideas that were heresy, outlandish, or extremely radical are often considered valid 100 years later & regarded as mainstream thought in 200 years.

As we come into the Aquarian era there are many areas of metaphysical/spiritual thought that are undergoing substantial paradigm change. Those who are involved w/ presenting these new concepts know resistance to these new ideas, exploring, & questioning them is entirely anticipated & just part of the process that should be allowed to unfold as is appropriate for the individual.

mattie
03-04-2011, 09:52 AM

It is the .1% that is very interesting & worth discussing.

Some of the rehashed channeling is useful as newbie gateway messages. This is the basic stuff that anyone reviewing metaphysical/spiritual channeling has real 1000s of times. This category of message will not contain any fear generating information or misinformation, but just basic love & light newbie concepts.

It is very useful to openly discuss the material that is ‘tripe and twaddle’ particularly that which could derail others in their spiritual journey as this helps others improve their discernment. Those who are spouting fear mongering rubbish or fleecing the unwary by claiming to be spiritually knowledgable, selling all sorts of completely unnecessary things that will supposedly enlighten us w/o any real effort on our part (as if!!!) are particularly unethical & should be frankly discussed. Some purveyors of misinformation may be well intentioned, but still churning out fear-based information that they believe to be the truth. For their level of development this will be the truth, but this doesn’t make it a Universal truth. Others will be wanting to get in the ‘action‘ of being a channel & will be playing channel. Still others may be wanting to deliberately obfuscate. All of these varieties of channeling should be openly discussed.

In the past much originally good information got woefully off track as it wasn’t open to discussion. One of the least productive practices amongst some groups is that if one doesn’t agree w/ a channeling that one should just move on & not comment. Commenting about flawed information is useful for countless reasons.

pre-dawn
03-04-2011, 01:45 PM
It shall forever remain a mystery to me why we would want to listen to dead masters when we have almost any number of living ones amongst us. They speak to us through different media, and with a little bit of effort at least some of them will allow us to engage them in a conversation. Why would anybody prefer channeling to that?

glenos
03-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I aint never heard of anyone who for example trumps Silver Birch and the wisdom he has given, either of this earth or not.

G

pre-dawn
04-04-2011, 03:40 AM
I aint never heard of anyone who for example trumps Silver Birch and the wisdom he has given, either of this earth or not.

I do some research and the first thing I find is:
Anyone who has not read the works of Silver Birch is not educated in the ways of the spirit
Nice, eh? Now let's be accurate here, it is really Maurice Barnabell's work we are talking about and not Silver Birch's. Silver Birch is dead for over 3000 years. Why can't the mediums take responsibility for their work? Even if they channel in a trance state it is their work!

glenos
04-04-2011, 05:47 AM
A wonderfully nice, and infact super accurate statement.
Maurice Barbanell (lets be accurate here) was the instrument. I dare say he did take responsibility for his work but not actually meeting him I cant say what he would have said about it. As for Silver Birch being "dead" for 3000 years.., he's done great work for someone who is "dead" dont you think?

G

Sungirl
04-04-2011, 12:48 PM
pre-dawn, I haven't studied Silver Birch at all and am personally a bit annoyed that someone would state that his truth is something that all must study to be considered spiritual.

That in itself turns me off of reading the information channeled from him. I accept that it probably wasn't SB that said that so it shouldn't deminish how i view him.... but whoever did say that is a bit of a numpty imho

athribiristan
04-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Channeled messages are like anything else in the world.

You read a book at random off a shelf, it might be good or it might not.

You hire a plumber to do some work on your house, he might know what he is doing and he might not.

Over time we learn to choose good books over bad books and hire good plumbers over imcompetent ones. We learn tricks and guidelines and to take the advice of people who we trust.

Psychics and mediums are the same. I was at a holistic fair recently and saw the whole range from outright charlatans to unwitting incompetents. There was even a lady there who I think was possessed. But as I looked past all the smoke and mirrors, I did see some genuine readers, if only one or two.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide how genuine you feel someone is. I agree with the person or people who said listen and take what empowers you. If it feels like a restricting idea or like it doesn't resonate with you, forget it. Trust yourself to know what is true, then you really don't need psychics or channeled messages at all.

Lynn
04-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Hello

Like all things man can do there are always one's that will seek to have false profits from that. There are true channels and true channeled messages. There too are one's that are just the author's SELF written words.

HOW to prove it well there be no real true way, unless one is hooked up to a machine that reads the brain activity. When one is in the TRUE trance state of Chanelling one is not using the conscious thinking part of the brain, but the part that processes information.

As one the does channel I know full well what I am getting is NOT FROM ME, as I trust in the self I be an in the interitty of that person I be. Too I seek no profit from any of the work I do, I am simply the one put forth to receiv e the information and to profit from "gifts" I never asked for in life feels wrong.

I well could have and was given the great opportunity to work with whom I be and to have that "fame" if that is what I so sought in life. I did not want that. I still do not want that. As I do more public speaking I am putting me out there more and more. First and formost I trust in whom I am and do not let EGO rule me.

I would NEVER go to say one is possessed, or do I ever go to give out any information in readings that is NOT for one's higher and greater good. I work on compassions and on TRUST above all else.

What a Medium or Psychic reader can do for one is the same as one's Guides do for one assist in opening some doors that are maybe blocked from view. They are never to be taken as that TRUTH in all and if one claims to be that truth sayer then I would be putting up me walls and questioning their higher good.

I go to a Psycic reader and while she said to be the VERY first time I went to her I so did not NEED her, as I know all that I seek in me already, I made it clear all I seek was validations is all. The money factor was a non factor. In her saying that and having that concren for me I knew I found a GOOD one.

To put all in one basket and say one is all rotten apples is not right. There are good and bad in all of man. More it is better to walk a path of an open mind and embrace that we do not have to beleive in the same as the one next to us but we can respect their feelings on truths.

Lynn

Ones that have had readings from me I feel will have got that "Higher Good" .

GentleStrength
05-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Quote: Anyone who has not read the works of Silver Birch is not educated in the ways of the spirit

Pre-Dawn and Tilia I am with you on my reaction to this kind of statement.

In one sweeping statement it invalidates every other teaching in the ways of spirit and claim to be the only one of value. Really? I will have to decline accepting that claim, I will stick with teachings that validate other truths as well rather than trying to convince that they are the ONE and ONLY way.

I say phhhbbbbttt to that! :D

Love and Light

GentleStrength
05-04-2011, 08:21 AM
It shall forever remain a mystery to me why we would want to listen to dead masters when we have almost any number of living ones amongst us. They speak to us through different media, and with a little bit of effort at least some of them will allow us to engage them in a conversation. Why would anybody prefer channeling to that?

I listen to those with positive intent and seeking to empower others rather than empower only themselves whoever they might be, physically incarnated or not. I do find though that there are some channelings that because of their expanded perspective can make certain ideas easier to grasp and understand for me.

The most helpful sharings I have heard have been from a channeled entity but if someone living had similar messages and made me laugh as much I would be more than happy to interact with them as well.

Love and Light

LadyB.
05-04-2011, 01:47 PM
"The most helpful sharings I have heard have been from a channeled entity but if someone living had similar messages and made me laugh as much I would be more than happy to interact with them as well."

Yes, I am there with you on that one Gentle Strength!

LB
X