PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of visiting a Buddhist temple, what to expect?

captain kirk
01-03-2011, 11:18 PM
There are a couple of Buddhist establishments in my area, not even sure what they are called. I have experimented with meditation and read some Buddhist philosophy and I just want to experience some it. Just looking for some peace. I have no religion and not much serenity either, sounds like a good idea. But I have no idea what to expect, how to act or dress, or what to say.

pre-dawn
02-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Dress modestly, remember that you may have to take your shoes off. Greet using the Namaste greeting.
When walking in tell the person in charge that you don't know what to do and whether they would help you avoiding the worst mistakes.

Samana
02-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Dress modestly, remember that you may have to take your shoes off. Greet using the Namaste greeting.
When walking in tell the person in charge that you don't know what to do and whether they would help you avoiding the worst mistakes.

Hi Captain Kirk,

Yes, dress modestly and comfortably and all buddhist traditions expect you to remove shoes before entering a shrine room.

Its not a good idea to say 'Namaste' though. Theravadins don't use that term and I've not heard Mahayana Buddhists ever using it offline here in the UK either. I am familiar with centres for both traditions.

Just be yourself say 'Hello' and be friendly and tell the secretary or whoever appears to be in charge of visitors that its your first visit to a Buddhist centre.

Kind wishes,

Samana

Silver
02-03-2011, 06:30 PM
I appreciate that info too, as there are two in my area that I could visit, and have actually wanted to, just didn't know the etiquette of doing so. I'm glad you asked, Capn Kirk~* Btw, do they have a collection plate of sorts? Is there a way to donate some modest amount like in Christian churches?

Samana
02-03-2011, 10:01 PM
I appreciate that info too, as there are two in my area that I could visit, and have actually wanted to, just didn't know the etiquette of doing so. I'm glad you asked, Capn Kirk~* Btw, do they have a collection plate of sorts? Is there a way to donate some modest amount like in Christian churches?

Depends on the tradition, donations are always welcome - its best to ask in the office.

Silver
03-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Do they call them shrines? or temples?

CJ82Sky
03-03-2011, 03:40 AM
oh great thread. im very interested in this myself - how does one go about finding a place near me? is there a good resource on the internet?

pre-dawn
03-03-2011, 04:00 AM
oh great thread. im very interested in this myself - how does one go about finding a place near me? is there a good resource on the internet?
Just ask the local pastor, s/he must know about such things. :smile:

Ask at health shops, if you have Chinese or Japanese business people in your community ask them.

Silver
03-03-2011, 05:09 AM
I just happened to drive by one near where I used to work. Then in the past few years since moving, I drove by one. You could try googling it, too, for something in your area.

Samana
03-03-2011, 05:27 AM
Do they call them shrines? or temples?

They're called Buddhist centres, Monasteries or Temples. They don't have to be Chinese or Japanese in origin either because there are western groups as well as those that originated in Thailand, Burma, Tibet, and Sri Lanka.

A 'shrine' is a little bit like an altar and usually has a Buddha statue (which isn't worshipped, its there for inspiration and as a reminder.)

captain kirk
03-03-2011, 05:54 AM
They're called Buddhist centres, Monasteries or Temples. They don't have to be Chinese or Japanese in origin either because there are western groups as well as those that originated in Thailand, Burma, Tibet, and Sri Lanka.

A 'shrine' is a little bit like an altar and usually has a Buddha statue (which isn't worshipped, its there for inspiration and as a reminder.)

This could be some experience like I've never had before, which is rewarding in itself. I hope to have some kind of spiritual experience as well. Any more you can tell us could make me and it seems some others more comfortable and brave enough to go through with it. I just wonder whether they will expect a devout Buddhist in the centre, or is simple curiosity OK. Its more than curiosity but I can't call myself a follower just yet.

Samana
03-03-2011, 11:39 AM
This could be some experience like I've never had before, which is rewarding in itself. I hope to have some kind of spiritual experience as well. Any more you can tell us could make me and it seems some others more comfortable and brave enough to go through with it. I just wonder whether they will expect a devout Buddhist in the centre, or is simple curiosity OK. Its more than curiosity but I can't call myself a follower just yet.

"Just looking" is fine at the centres that I know of myself. Newcomers aren't expected to be devout Buddhists.

Always investigate carefully, and if possible don't just limit your investigations to one particular Buddhist tradition or school.....for example, if possible its good to see how both Theravada and Mahayana traditions do things, because there are differences...and even within those main headings there can still be other differences in the approach to practice.

In general, there can also be cultural add-ons and superstitions with some schools which have little to do with the Buddha's core teachings and are more connected with the culture of the country in which Dhamma was established, sometimes centuries after the death of the Buddha.

Sangress
03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
I live right around the corner from the biggest Buddhist temple in the southern hemisphere and I've visited that place since I was a small child.

You should expect lots of incense, people wearing deep red or orange robes, shaven heads, vegetarian foods, quiet calm atmosphere, the ceremonial gongs, candles, one of more shrines to Buddha, a place where you will need to remove your shoes in which to enter (this would most likely be for meditation,) a place where art and scriptures are displayed, a still pond and probably a courtyard facing the direction in which the sun rises where tai chi and other exercises are performed.

I am unsure if this is unusual or not to most temples, but ours has a 6 story tower where all of the monks ashes are kept in the walls in wooden boxes with a lotus inscribed on the lid of each one. That place has such a stillness and emptiness to it, everyone there literally truly does rest in peace, absolutely awe inspiring.

(We have a hall where people teach children how to make origami...but I think that may just be part of a tourist attraction thing, so never mind about that.)

There is a lot more to it than that, but I'm just stating what to expect, not the details of the religion or any specific etiquette.

Also, for good measure, I am not Buddhist myself. I am just very well versed with the religion and find the monks to be very amazing and intellectual people and have many as friends.

Samana
03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Theravada Thai Forest tradition monks wear brownish - tan colored robes. Forest tradition monasteries don't burn incense either.

....and I think there are a range of different colors for Zen robes including black and white and dark maroon

nventr
11-03-2011, 12:15 AM
In the temples that I visit, there are no chairs or pews. Everyone sits on the floor on cushions. So, I recommend leaving the tight jeans at home.

Especially the ones that show the great divide.:icon_eek: