PDA

View Full Version : Guilt

blackraven
26-02-2011, 12:25 AM
The dictionary defines the word "guilt" as a "feeling of responsibility or remorse for some offense, crime, wrong, etc., whether real or imagined." Guilt is that part of the human conscience that brings us up short and convicts us for actions and thoughts. Guilt is an inherent human trait that should be seen as a gift, however, most of us do not see it as such and rather than deal with guilt, we naturally attempt to squelch it.

What is the purpose of guilt in life?

How does one eliminate guilt in his or her life time or are we suppose to suffer with guilt are whole life?

Blackraven

psychoslice
26-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Guilt is a toxic poison to the human psyche, I have no idea how you came up with that thought ?.

Medium_Laura
26-02-2011, 12:31 AM
I agree, guilt is a negative emotion and we should get rid of it. :) Psychoslice is right.

blackraven
26-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Guilt is a toxic poison to the human psyche, I have no idea how you came up with that thought ?.

psychoslice - you sure know how to break things down into simple terms! How did I come up with this idea? I carry guilt...dugh.

Blackraven

blackraven
26-02-2011, 12:48 AM
I agree, guilt is a negative emotion and we should get rid of it. :) Psychoslice is right.

Medium_Laura - I feel what you're saying and it sounds so easy, but it's easier said than done. But definitely agree with you that it is something that eats at you, that's why I posted the topic. :icon_eek:

Blackraven

psychoslice
26-02-2011, 12:54 AM
psychoslice - you sure know how to break things down into simple terms! How did I come up with this idea? I carry guilt...dugh.

Blackraven
Well let it go baby...dugh lol.:D

nightowl
26-02-2011, 12:54 AM
The dictionary defines the word "guilt" as a "feeling of responsibility or remorse for some offense, crime, wrong, etc., whether real or imagined." Guilt is that part of the human conscience that brings us up short and convicts us for actions and thoughts. Guilt is an inherent human trait that should be seen as a gift, however, most of us do not see it as such and rather than deal with guilt, we naturally attempt to squelch it.

How does one eliminate guilt in his or her life time or are we suppose to suffer with guilt are whole life?

Blackraven

Guilt is a tricky feeling. In a sense guilt can help us understand how what we say and do can affect the ones we interact with, it helps to teach us better ways to express ourselves. Sometime it arises through circumstances beyond our control. Probably the most troublesome part of guilt is how it can weave itself into the very fiber of our being and seems as though it can never be separated from who we are. For some it is easier to deal with guilt then others. For me it can come and go. I have to bring myself to the point where I remember that it is in the past, I can't change it, make amends if possible and try to learn from it.
Many of us do not choose to hurt others but it does happen. I suppose the most useful lesson learned from guilt, at least from my perspective is to learn to be more sensitive to other and maybe help others to try and do the same.

nightowl

psychoslice
26-02-2011, 12:55 AM
So what makes you guilty ?.

Medium_Laura
26-02-2011, 01:03 AM
I look at it this way. Guilt is typically associated with the past. Something you've done. (yes it can be guilt of future too but I'm using intuition here).

So in order to let go of the guilt you need to ask yourself.

Is there anything I can do right now to change what was done?

Would making amends for "said reason" to this person or people, make me feel less guilty or fix the relationship?

If you can honestly answer no, to both of these, then you are holding on to the past and it is what is creating the toxic negative blocks within you.

How do you let go? By telling yourself. "I forgive you for the choices you made. I release you from the hope that you can change them. I promise myself that I will learn from this and from now on, I will change and not repeat it. I love you"

blackraven
26-02-2011, 01:10 AM
nightowl - Thank you for your wise words. What was most important that you said was..."Probably the most troublesome part of guilt is how it can weave itself into the very fiber of our being and seems as though it can never be separated from who we are." I could really relate to that statement. It's as if "guilt" becomes a part of who you are. It gets to be tiring. But perhaps that's a part of the learning along our earthly paths that takes us to a higher form of existence in the end. I surely hope so. I appreciate your post. It helped a lot. :)

Blackraven

blackraven
26-02-2011, 01:11 AM
So what makes you guilty ?.

Let it go baby. :D

Blackraven

psychoslice
26-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Let it go baby. :D

Blackraven
That's it, keep that sense of humor, its a good start.:smile:

blackraven
26-02-2011, 01:18 AM
I look at it this way. Guilt is typically associated with the past. Something you've done. (yes it can be guilt of future too but I'm using intuition here).

So in order to let go of the guilt you need to ask yourself.

Is there anything I can do right now to change what was done?

Would making amends for "said reason" to this person or people, make me feel less guilty or fix the relationship?

If you can honestly answer no, to both of these, then you are holding on to the past and it is what is creating the toxic negative blocks within you.

How do you let go? By telling yourself. "I forgive you for the choices you made. I release you from the hope that you can change them. I promise myself that I will learn from this and from now on, I will change and not repeat it. I love you"

Thanks Medium_Laura! Excellent Advice. Yes, the answer is "no" to both questions. I am "guilty" of living in the past and that in itself is the problem. I appreciate everyone's input. This wasn't suppose to be a personal confession thread but a philosophical debate. Oh well. Sometimes things end up being better than what you expected. :)

Blackraven

Miss Hepburn
26-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Ah, guilt.

I have had none since the early 70's.
Ever since I realized what Vivekananda said - which I have mentioned here before.
If the mind represents depression, worry, fear, envy, anger, anquish -then there are 2 doors into the Mind - the front and the back ---the front door
is pride and the back door is guilt.
The 2 easiest entries.

That is not to say don't feel remorse for a mistake made - but then simply learn -
say to yourself you will never do that again and move on - letting it go - and forgiving yourself.
Understanding the human condition - that is we are imperfect and learning.

Our Father loves us as we love our children or puppies that make huge blunders - ruining property and hurting others.
And I dare say more so!

Guilt is a trick of the Mind or lower ego-self, or devil for the Christians - that lures us away with that subtle trick of
reverse self-righteousness --'I am so good because I know I am so bad.'
Away from what?
Love, peace, happiness, contentment and utimately the love of God - and who we really are.

We deprive God of our love -because there can be no love where the cup is filled with quilt and shame.

Cheers,
:smile: Miss Hepburn

psychoslice
26-02-2011, 01:36 AM
Hi blackraven, sorry if I was a bit brunt with my reply but I'll share you a part of my story of guilt. My mother who died from cancer, came to me after she was diagnosed with terminal cancer, she did have cancer of the colon 4 years before but sadly it came back. She came home from the doctor that afternoon crying, she asked me if I thought she should have chemotherapy, I said that she should not have it, she then agreed. She was going well for awhile until one day it started to break through her skin near her neck area, she was back in hospital where she never came out of. She died 3 times, every time she stopped breathing I would close her eye's and kiss her, but then she started to breath again and it all happened over again, it was so bad that we wanted to suffocate her while the nurse was out of the room. Well I lived with this guilt of helping her not take the Chemo for many years and it nearly killed me, out of all this i was diagnosed with schizophrenia, its even hurting the hell out of me to write these words now. I did end up dropping the guilt, but I'll try to share that a bit later, just wanted you to have some understanding why i was so out there with what I said.:hug:

blackraven
26-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Hi blackraven, sorry if I was a bit brunt with my reply but I'll share you a part of my story of guilt. My mother who died from cancer, came to me after she was diagnosed with terminal cancer, she did have cancer of the colon 4 years before but sadly it came back. She came home from the doctor that afternoon crying, she asked me if I thought she should have chemotherapy, I said that she should not have it, she then agreed. She was going well for awhile until one day it started to break through her skin near her neck area, she was back in hospital where she never came out of. She died 3 times, every time she stopped breathing I would close her eye's and kiss her, but then she started to breath again and it all happened over again, it was so bad that we wanted to suffocate her while the nurse was out of the room. Well I lived with this guilt of helping her not take the Chemo for many years and it nearly killed me, out of all this i was diagnosed with schizophrenia, its even hurting the hell out of me to write these words now. I did end up dropping the guilt, but I'll try to share that a bit later, just wanted you to have some understanding why i was so out there with what I said.:hug:

psychoslice - That took a tremendous amount of courage for you to share that story, psychoslice. I could definitely relate as my mother had breast cancer last year and so I was in the hospital a lot with her as well. I wasn't trying to be glib, but protective as you can understand. My sister suffers from schizophrenia as well and I know personally how much your hurt especially having to deal with the passing of your mom. If you can drop the guilt and come onto a forum and help someone as simple-minded as myself, I feel honored! My heart goes out to you. Truly. When you think you have things so bad it seems that the Universe brings you someone that has been through struggles far greater than your own. I feel ashamed now. Again, thank you for your post. I very much appreciate it. :hug:

Blackraven

nightowl
26-02-2011, 01:54 AM
nightowl - Thank you for your wise words. What was most important that you said was..."Probably the most troublesome part of guilt is how it can weave itself into the very fiber of our being and seems as though it can never be separated from who we are." I could really relate to that statement. It's as if "guilt" becomes a part of who you are. It gets to be tiring. But perhaps that's a part of the learning along our earthly paths that takes us to a higher form of existence in the end. I surely hope so. I appreciate your post. It helped a lot. :)

Blackraven

:hug3:

nightowl

psychoslice
26-02-2011, 02:01 AM
psychoslice - That took a tremendous amount of courage for you to share that story, psychoslice. I could definitely relate as my mother had breast cancer last year and so I was in the hospital a lot with her as well. I wasn't trying to be glib, but protective as you can understand. My sister suffers from schizophrenia as well and I know personally how much your hurt especially having to deal with the passing of your mom. If you can drop the guilt and come onto a forum and help someone as simple-minded as myself, I feel honored! My heart goes out to you. Truly. When you think you have things so bad it seems that the Universe brings you someone that has been through struggles far greater than your own. I feel ashamed now. Again, thank you for your post. I very much appreciate it. :hug:

Blackraven
I'm sorry about your mom, i hope she will be Ok, no please don't feel ashamed, it was my fault, its just that I have some issues going on in my life right now because of prostate cancer I had 2 years ago, I had a big cry over what i said and i thank you for helping to bring that out of me, I think I really needed it.:hug2:

AngelBreeze
26-02-2011, 03:03 AM

Blackraven

Very warm greetings, blackraven!

You ask a very good question! I will offer the Christian perspective on guilt.

Without a certain degree of guilt (because we are all sinners) we would erroneously feel that we were perfect beings. Without guilt to prod us in the right direction and teach us the difference between right and wrong and we finding a safe and benevolent way to free ourselves of that guilt, we would continue to harbor such feelings that would become deleterious to our overall well being. And please know that guilt means that you have a conscience, after all.

When a guilt-conscious person identifies guilt as being a problem for them and wants to rectify that problem, they turn to God for forgiveness first. Only God can forgive guilt and it frees the soul and spirit from harboring deep-seated and heavy remorse over that guilt. The second important step is to Forgive Others and then Oneself! Talking to others about that which makes one feel guilt or guilty over something is a healthy thing for it makes you feel less of a bad guy and instead, one who is seeking active resolve of that guilt.

So, when guilt starts to dim your personal bright sky, turn it over to God through His Son Jesus! Admit guilt and know that whatever needs to be done to remove that guilt, if turned over to the proper authority, will be in Divine order according to God's law. The degree of guilt confessed to another can also help to remove the albatross that would otherwise continue to hang around your neck.

And no, we are not supposed to suffer with guilt for the rest of our life. Absolutely not! Truly know that facing The Truth (regarding that guilt) Shall Make You Free!

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." -- JOHN 8:32 (KJV)

No one need ever expend their precious energy living with guilt. Confess that guilt and lift tons of worry and pain from your shoulders and your heart. It is the right thing to do and does wonders for the spirit!

I Am Sending You Many Hugs With Much Love and Pure Light,
(\o/) AngelBreeze (\o/)

tainamom
26-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Guilt is very interesting and is an issue I deal with all too often. Sometimes I'm not sure where some of my guilt comes from as I have no idea why in certain situations I feel guilty (I'm guessing past life issues). Of course asking for forgiveness from others and forgiving myself has been important to help heal this guilt, but I also find that I want to 'OWN' this guilt and make it mine instead of surrendering it to the Almighty. As if *I can* really do something to *fix* this problem, which in reality, I *can't*. Somewhere, deep in the caverns and crevices of my soul, I feel that I need to do something about fixing it and that it's *my* job, *BUT* if I truly and finally *surrender* it to the Creator completely and thoroughly with all my heart, soul, mind, body, then this problem that caused the guilt will be taken away and REPLACED with LOVE and UNDERSTANDING. Then a great relief will come because I realized that I am still loved, that I truly have asked for forgiveness, that I have forgiven myself and mostly, that it taught all persons/beings involved some really important lessons AND that we are now freed from it or at least I am and I have freed the others from my own guilt. Only then can I be truly grateful for my mistakes or past life mistakes and for the opportunity to never do it again.

lightworker
07-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I find that guilt prevents me living a joyous & fulfilled life sometimes! I worry about how my decisions will affect everone else in my life etc. I am a real giver but realise that you have to give to yourself first in order to give to others, but that old feeling of guilt and "what ifs" always creep in. Sometimes I find self talk is great, it helps alot!

Roselove
07-04-2011, 06:34 PM
^oh me too! i put everyone before me now trying to set proper boundaries it just feels werid

athribiristan
07-04-2011, 06:50 PM

Blackraven

To be free of guilt one has to allow others to own their creation. Although sometimes it ends up being more like forcing them to own their creation. Guilt is basically feeling responsible for the feelings of other people. Other peoples' feelings are theirs, not yours. You said something and someone got upset. Who is responsible the person who makes the comment or the person to gets upset?