PDA

View Full Version : What is my faith called?

Crystalline_Lilly
25-02-2011, 08:04 PM
I have a question for anyone who understands I have been feeling like My faith is a mix of Catholicism and buddhist as well as spiritualism I dont know what this is called can any one help me out? I am also into metaphysics...:wink: :confused:

nightowl
25-02-2011, 08:49 PM
I have a question for anyone who understands I have been feeling like My faith is a mix of Catholicism and buddhist as well as spiritualism I dont know what this is called can any one help me out? I am also into metaphysics...:wink: :confused:

Crystalline,
I can understand your feelings about wanting to put a name or label to what you believe. It seems to make it easier if we can call our belief something. It is your personal spiritual path that is what matters. Some could call it new age or new thought because of the differnt elements that make up what you believe. What would you like to call it? :smile:
I chose to name my spiritual belief as follows, Monotheistic paganism folk religion. All these suit my spiritual beliefs and practices. It really isn't any known system just what works for me.:D Oh, and it is kind of fun to say too.

Don't sweat the name. You obviously connect in some way to the spiritual elements you have incorperated into what you believe and that is great!

nightowl

Enya
25-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Easy. You call it 'my spiritual path'. Simples.... :smile:
Btw, I call mine eclectic or pick-an-mix spirituality... :wink:

Crystalline_Lilly
25-02-2011, 09:36 PM
thanks all you are great. :)

Wyrdsmith
26-02-2011, 01:43 PM
In my opinion, labels can limit how you grow and develop and see yourself. They help others, perhaps, to understand us, or is that just to pigeon-hole us so we fit into an easily recognisable stereotype. I just think we should be true to who we are, recognise what works for us, and be prepared to change as our understanding grows and develops.

As to my path ... it just is, I combine things that work for me and help me to feel I'm moving forward.

EarthMamma
26-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Greetings, C. Lilly!

Well, I certainly agree with those that feel labels are unnecessary, however I do think it's good to know what different faiths there are, to explore them and see what suits you...

Even if you end up deciding a label is not important, it may give you a starting place to meet others with similar beliefs... A jumping off point if you will, in exploring and ultimately fine tuning exactly what you believe..

Here is a quiz that at the very least I thought was interesting.

Blessings to you on your journey! :)

Love, Cam/EM

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beliefnet.com%2FEn tertainment%2FQuizzes%2FBeliefOMatic.aspx)

Greenslade
02-03-2011, 10:17 AM

Call it brilliant and brave because you're walking your own Path. Safe Journey, Crystalline_Lilly

latelotus
11-04-2011, 06:42 PM
:color: What nice answers by everyone. I just joined this forum and am glad to see people treating each other kindly. My spiritual stumbling seems to resemble Crystalline's (not that she is stumbling; but I am totally in free-fall stumble-bumble at present).

:smile:

agiosotheos
13-04-2011, 05:18 AM
When things get that eclectic, it becomes very difficult for the world to assign a name to all the religions that develop.

weallshineon
13-04-2011, 11:08 PM
I certainly understand what you are saying.
I am a born-again Catholic but I am inspired by Buddism,Hinduism,Spirituality,etc,etc.! I just consider it all my "Faith",plain and simple and pure. Faith. and that is more than enough!

Greenslade
16-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Doesn't it feel better when you drop the shackles and the labels?

bill
20-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Hi Crystalline_Lilly Question? Why is important to you to fit into a certain niche. we are all one with God, there is only one God, everyone might have a different name but there is only one God. We are all a part of this God, and there for have every thing we need spiritually. Sit and meditate on this and your answers will come to you. You do not need anyones approval, be who you are look deep inside....Blessings, Bill

psychoslice
20-04-2011, 02:57 AM
Don't call it anything, I don't have any labels for myself, I'm just what I am, whatever you label it, you then imprison yourself within that label.

breath
20-04-2011, 09:50 AM

I've got a name for your faith

Self-Contradictorianity

lol

Seriously, I have no idea how you can mix catholicism with buddhism, I genuinely don't. lol. But, if that's what you can do then kudos, you're amazing to be able to do it.

I'm interested in Etymology so I'll try forming a new word just for you! :D

Catholic is a mixture of what you could know as Kata (about) and Holic (Whole). It means (about whole) and is simply applied to the roman church
Buddha means awakened. So we could call your new faith

Buddhakataholism lol

Wolfe of Wildwood
24-04-2011, 04:03 PM
If it's a mix with no name call it a mix or name it yourself. (also, for those of you that say, "I was born with so and so religion," no one is born with a religion, your taught one)

Mathew James
24-04-2011, 04:15 PM
just a journey on an open road

JanG
12-06-2011, 10:06 PM
I have enjoyed reading this thread, because I like the other poster, wondered where what I believe fits in to any particular belief/system/religion, and of course it doesn't. So why bother, it just gets a bit confusing, for me, when I look into beliefs say Taoism, Wicca etc, and think yes I can go with that bit. but not this bit. You just feel a bit scambled.

Jules
12-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Lilly,
Welcome to SF and pleased to meet you :)

i think during the journey to Enlightenment, you just go with whatever sits right with you - and more often than not you can take something from all religions n faiths. Instead of labelling yourself, just accept it's who you are. Learn to trust your inner self and you won't go far wrong. Just my two pennorth :) xx

AngelicOrin
17-06-2011, 07:48 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with Jules.

Personally my "faith" has no label, I believe and take in different aspects from most faiths and Lilly, you do not need a label for yours. The Archangels, Gods, the Creator do not themselves do not have a faith, eg: Archangel Michael, is not Christian, he is in their faith, but he is also in the Jewish and Muslim faiths if I am not mistaken. All of the deities and Angels above us are there for us all, and we do not need a label to believe in them. :) I hope that made some sense.

So yes, you can believe in some aspects of Catholicism, and Buddhism, there is nothing wrong with that. :)

xounstaer
15-07-2011, 09:52 AM
i like how i read that you dont need a lable. since i have been facing this problem to, where people push you to decide one faith.

it was on a christian forum and i had a discussion about the nicene creed. now i beleive a lot in jesus and i surely wouldnt have had the lif ei have without him. but by excepting a sinless sacrifise(well maybe not sineless) i feel wrong.

if anybody knows what to call a person who believes in jesus so much, but disagees with the crusifizion and what comes to look with that, i'd gladly hear some info.

for the rest i think that 'spiritual' suits well enough for me and says it all where it comes to mental things.,.. i am just wondering abnout christianity and believing in christ without taking a life on my conscience..

UnderIce
17-07-2011, 10:59 PM
I am christened a Roman Catholic but I think that my beliefs and morals could resonate with aspects of other faiths. I'm proud of the religion I grew up with but tend to view my faith/beliefs from a more Spiritualist point of view and I can relate to a lot of the values of Paganism and other faiths, especially on the subject of nature... So basically, I just view my faith as being another part in the big complex jigsaw that makes me, along with my likes, dislikes, interests, hobbies, etc. I don't feel the need to put a label on myself because of any of those so why should I label myself based on my spiritual beliefs?

You are just you - there's no pressure to feel like you belong to any set of beliefs :)

native wiccan
20-07-2011, 05:21 AM
i was raised a baptist and my mother was a big believer of the bible so i repsect that and have an awesome picture of jesus in my home and a few crosses , later in life i learned about dakota traditions and i practic some daily,now my recent path has lead me to learn wiccan healing and protections spells and candle magic.

Student4Life1975
20-07-2011, 12:46 PM
i'm the same way, i believe in the possibility of god, but also have a deep scientific urning to explain things. im not an athiest, but definately not religious. buddism is very appealing though. maybe im just a hybrid?

Caretaker
23-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Buddha was not a buddhist, Jesus was not a Christian, they probably took the name of the culture they were born to, Jesus probably considered himself a hebrew while buddha may have considered himself a hindu atleast to some extent on both. Christianity was only formed afterwards and was just used to classify a group of people. The truth of the matter is all religions are a spiritual path to enlightenment and that is exactly how i see them, i dont see them by their labels as many would. I beleive that you are who you are, you are a living breathing spiritual and physical being and i believe that's enough. Why do we need to keep dividing ourself? Chrisitan against muslim, muslim against jew and so on and so forth. It's pointless and wastefull. WE are one people, one nation, The human nation, we are of one belief, the path to righteous truth, even if we do not know it nor does our religion show it in the fullness of the truth it matters not. The truth is the truth and God, life, Qi whatever you call it, doesn't demand, it suggests lol (metaphorically speaking of course).

xounstaer
24-07-2011, 03:56 AM
nive reply caretaker, i agree with you and its good to be reminded of what you say about budda and christ..

i was lately also thinking my believe may just be me' (stein).

x

mac
24-07-2011, 08:14 PM
In my opinion, labels can limit how you grow and develop and see yourself. They help others, perhaps, to understand us, or is that just to pigeon-hole us so we fit into an easily recognisable stereotype. I just think we should be true to who we are, recognise what works for us, and be prepared to change as our understanding grows and develops.

As to my path ... it just is, I combine things that work for me and help me to feel I'm moving forward.

Why do you feel that a label could in any way hamper your spiritual growth?

If growth is gonna happen, it's gonna happen..... So many seem afraid to be seen as a 'this' or a 'that' but maybe that's because they don't know themselves what they are or where they're going?

Their uncertainties which are the problem, not labels....

mattie
24-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Our spiritual beliefs need not have a name. Take from any belief what works, & pass on what doesnít.

mac
24-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Our spiritual beliefs need not have a name. Take from any belief what works, & pass on what doesnít.

They may not need a name but neither can one cause any harm.....

Beliefs I leave to believers. If there isn't the evidence to demonstrate something, then I leave it alone until there is.

That's the promise of Spiritualism, the forum in which you're writing incidentally. :wink: Modern Spiritualism provides evidence of all it teaches - and using a label or name makes not the slightest difference.

mattie
24-07-2011, 10:38 PM
They may not need a name but neither can one cause any harm.....

I have no issue w/ using whatever labels apply. Iím not label adverse. Labels are not stereotyping or inherently confining (One chooses the confining state.). Labels are just useful names that we give to things that would take many more words to describe. Very handy.

There was an interesting post recently by someone who IDed their beliefs as pantheism & another term (label) that I don't recall but also agreed w/ & so stated. These Ďlabelsí can be useful in defining thing that would take many paragraphs w/ a single word. The only issue w/ this is if we use the parameters of this as boundaries that we are not willing to peek (or boldly stride) past. This is a personal growth issue & not a problem w/ the words though.

The point I was making is to have the freedom & flexibility to take what works from any religion or belief system & reject what donít make sense for us (or resonate). Many are finding that there is no spiritual belief system or religion w/ which they completely agree.

Having this flexibility also means that we can develop ideas that arenít existent in any of the belief systems. OH MY!!! The havoc that will ensue when we stride boldly into major paradigm change. LOL. Yes, we can even develop ideas that havenít surfaced anywhere. Many have done this as theyíve contemplated some popular spiritual ideas, both of organized religion & nonorganized spirituality, finding that these just didnít sit well w/ them & have the ring of authenticity & TRUSTed their own assessment & wisdom.

mac
25-07-2011, 01:34 AM
I have no issue w/ using whatever labels apply. Iím not label adverse. Labels are not stereotyping or inherently confining (One chooses the confining state.). Labels are just useful names that we give to things that would take many more words to describe. Very handy.

There was an interesting post recently by someone who IDed their beliefs as pantheism & another term (label) that I don't recall but also agreed w/ & so stated. These Ďlabelsí can be useful in defining thing that would take many paragraphs w/ a single word. The only issue w/ this is if we use the parameters of this as boundaries that we are not willing to peek (or boldly stride) past. This is a personal growth issue & not a problem w/ the words though.

The point I was making is to have the freedom & flexibility to take what works from any religion or belief system & reject what donít make sense for us (or resonate). Many are finding that there is no spiritual belief system or religion w/ which they completely agree.

Having this flexibility also means that we can develop ideas that arenít existent in any of the belief systems. OH MY!!! The havoc that will ensue when we stride boldly into major paradigm change. LOL. Yes, we can even develop ideas that havenít surfaced anywhere. Many have done this as theyíve contemplated some popular spiritual ideas, both of organized religion & nonorganized spirituality, finding that these just didnít sit well w/ them & have the ring of authenticity & TRUSTed their own assessment & wisdom.

fair points

I'm not confident about a "major paradigm change" being on any visible horizon though. I'm not seeing anything more than fanciful thinking and unauthenticated personal beliefs on the forum boards although I accept they may not be representative of the general picture.....

Given, though, the near-insatiable appetite for folks to talk about themselves, I'd have expected to see something substantive if any new spiritual awakening is imminent.

We'll see......:wink:

Tysklar
29-07-2011, 02:27 PM
My faith is called Reality.
Either the ultimate truth or delusion. Trying and being challenged is important, winning is a bonus.

I seek resonance in harmony with Nature and The Cosmos.
My Altar is The Universe. My life a Ritual in Loving Spirit.
This body is my book, this brain is the pages,
these thoughts are the words, I am The Scribe.
The Divine is Author.

*sorry I misread the thread title... and obviously didn't read the OP. My bad.*

Arlan Lares
29-07-2011, 04:45 PM
RE: the post above.

I'm not sure. Pantheism, perhaps?

My Altar is The Universe

xounstaer
30-07-2011, 11:19 AM

ther's ways to do that.
sry i guess i might have associated things i red in this topic.
or related and connected.
as all is:D

for the rest within my personal believe/spirtuality i need say no word indeed. but it gets weird never using your mouth but ony your mind or eyes.....................i had it with that after ca4/6/7 years

cheers.

( i ran of)

moksh
01-09-2011, 10:33 PM
religion dibides people brother. u may be christian, hindu, buddhist, islam or something else but the main core of all the religion is that there is only one father, one good, one consciousness, one creator, one lord and its upto us to reach him by any religion we follow. habe a deep lobe for god instead of habing a deep lobe for the way u walk. ur destiny shouldnt be konfused wid the direktion u are walking.

Mathew James
02-09-2011, 05:01 PM
any and all organized religions will fail to bring a deep faith. as soon as they become organized they become self serving and that is faithless.

for me the greatest faith; is to remember that there is a Creator, try to do good things and not bad, and to help the poor when possible.

mj