PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people "see" things and others don't?

Rayden_Greywolf
26-07-2017, 03:18 AM
I've never been good with having faith in things. For me, I have to see it to believe it. I can't force faith or belief. This struggle broke me and I was in a severe depression until somewhat recently when I believe I've seen my first sign via a series of numbers I keep seeing. That's what ultimately got me back into spirituality.

But....I don't understand.

Some people have had visions, seen entities, communicate with spirits, etc. all of their lives. I'm not saying they don't have challenges, they definitely do. But...why do these people get the ability to see these things while I don't? Why are the God(s) silent for me, but not others?

I just don't get it.

Sorry for getting angsty again here, just....I'm really frustrated right now.

Shivani Devi
26-07-2017, 03:42 AM
I've never been good with having faith in things. For me, I have to see it to believe it. I can't force faith or belief. This struggle broke me and I was in a severe depression until somewhat recently when I believe I've seen my first sign via a series of numbers I keep seeing. That's what ultimately got me back into spirituality.

Some people have had visions, seen entities, communicate with spirits, etc. all of their lives. I'm not saying they don't have challenges, they definitely do. But...why do these people get the ability to see these things while I don't? Why are the God(s) silent for me, but not others?

I just don't get it.

Sorry for getting angsty again here, just....I'm really frustrated right now.I can understand and appreciate your angst.

The nature of God and the spirit world is such that you have to have a totally open mind and heart. A lot of people say "I will believe it when I see it" but that is their mind talking...their thoughts and conscious rationality and while it is great and all to have this, it isn't the be-all and end-all of existence, but it does get in the way due to the whole importance we place on it to the exclusion of everything else, even our heart.

It's also not a question of "seeing to believe it" either. It's more like fully accepting the possibility that such things exist, without the mind always wanting to butt in and go "what a load of bull" because the ego will put up all the fight in hell to prevent you from seeing what's really out there because it may end up getting ignored...if not dropped forever.

Just don't be so hasty to discount your gut feelings.

journey
26-07-2017, 05:06 AM
I can't draw, can't really paint either, I wasn't born with a natural gift of putting art on paper. I draw a dog and it looks like a tree. I have a fantastic imagination and always wished I could paint like my friends growing up. So decided to learn Photoshop, slowly, on my own, then I learned to photograph and put my visions together to create my own artwork. What I'm saying is that sometimes you just have to be open to other avenues, you don't have to fit into the box that others do, look around the box. Seeing the pieces (numbers, signs...) being aware that messages come in many forms, not always obvious. I hope that makes a little sense.

~journey

soul-alchemy
26-07-2017, 07:20 AM

I just don't get it.

maybe you are in communion with God 24/7

Lorelyen
26-07-2017, 07:26 AM
It depends on whether you believe people are born with "gifts" or develop them very early through circumstances. It's been my belief that everyone has at least one talent - whether they're given the chance to (or want to) develop it is a different matter.

And then it's down to everyone being different. Some are good at the arts, some at logical matters, some have psychic skills, others are gifted with great powers of concentration. Some have creative skills (that can be beyond the artistic/musical realm. They can be good at finding ways to solve mundane problems where others can't.)

It's perfectly possible to train in skills one isn't born "naturally" with if they have the persistence and motive. There are ways, for instance, to develop psychic skills, which doesn't necessarily mean the person will become an adept psychic; or to develop music skills and become first class which doesn't mean they'll become artists at it.

As Walter Cronkite would once say, "And that's the way it is."

SaturninePluto
26-07-2017, 07:37 AM

I just don't get it.

I am at somewhat of a loss reading this, as faith has always come quite natural to me, a big part of my own faith I believe however, comes from my natural naivety. When I was young two of my family members called me naive pretty often.

I was always aware of a presence beyond myself when young, to me this presence was God. I had not very real trouble communicating with the presence of God when I was young. I learned some things that way. Communicating with the spirit is how I came into the faith I needed.

It is how I have learned to heal. It is how I learned to live. It is how I found lost items, amongst other things.

Firstly your feelings of angst is quite normal. I can be the same way, however I try not to let this involve faith, for without faith I am nothing. For myself it is more along the lines of there are great things others can do that I can not. At least, not yet. The most I can do is try my best. If I fail I do know I tried my best.

I can not for the life of me speak to the dead, it only happened once, and I believe it was a calling to happen. I am not capable of speaking to past relatives at will. If I force it, I believe it would violate spiritual law. However while I can not for the life of me speak to the dead, I am able like others to speak with spirit, and essentially God. Many who state they speak with God are scoffed at, even by their fellow spiritualists, sadly what many fail to realize is that they too are capable of speaking to the creator, and actually do.

Why do people who are capable of having accurate tarot, mediumship, or any other type of reading they engage in be accurate? This does not come from thin air (though in a sense I personally would say it does :biggrin: ), it also is not always the dead themselves, truth be told it is simply the truth, the one, the Lord, the universe, the all that is and exists within all things.

I am capable of reading energies via an astrological chart, I have also been capable of finding things, I have been told by spirit where things can be found. I have prophesied using tarot. And? So what? Who cares? That sounds like bragging rights to me? How about all of you?

You are capable of something! And it doesn't have to be reading tarot, or speaking with spirits, and seeing entities? Dear God if I never see another entity again it will be too soon!

Fact is for me, simply being aware of a presence beyond me seems could be enough for me. I can honestly say if for the rest of my life that is all there is, a peace, a sense of connection, relaxing in nature? If the rest of my life, there is only that, myself, creation, and faith in God. I would be extraordinarily happy, and utterly fulfilled.

Have you practiced using your intuitive abilities to do some type of reading work for others? Intuition needs to be practiced. Constantly, as we grow older we at times grow apart from spirit like we knew when young. The spirits we spoke to, the things we saw and heard. There are ways to practice using your intuitive abilities.

It does take time. Be patient with yourself. I understand what you are saying, there are many things I am aware others can do and are capable of that I currently am not quite capable of. Am I to blame myself? No. I wouldn't blame yourself either.

Practice your intuitive ability to the best you can, also remember to get adequate rest, and pay attention to nutrition some, you do not have to eat like a saint if you don't wish, just be sure you are well fed enough to keep your energy levels up. With practicing intuition, simply pay attention to how you are feeling, in time you will be better able to discern things and begin to discern certain things, what certain feelings mean, what certain symbols mean, as you move on you will find your abilities and intuition improving.

Be patient, and try not to be harsh with yourself. You are indeed only human, you need and deserve your rest, and to enjoy life, and fun, just like everybody else does.

And do not blame yourself for any of it if you find you can not do something right away, give it time, try different techniques, make up some of your own.

It took a very long time for me to study astrology and then read charts for others. I had to begin with my own chart, learn of all the terminology, finally to be a bit better I also had to cast all the terminology and planet and aspect meanings aside and begin to trust my own intuition. Learn to trust yourself, and your intuition. It will never fail you.

Wishing you the absolute best, and that you learn to trust your instinct and inner self.

You are capable of anything anyone else is. Give it understanding patience and time, friend.

Blessings.

Jack of Spades
26-07-2017, 09:28 AM

This is one of the big mysteries for me aswell, wondering what is the difference, if there is any. There are loads of simple, neat and easy answeres offered to this, but to date I haven't found any of them all that impressive.

Personally, I was spiritually practically blank until I was 18, then I had a one life-changing experience and ever since the experiences have been flowing more or less naturally. But it wasn't really about me. I was horribly lazy and undisciplined in everything I practiced before and after that experience. I feel like it came from outside of me, I think that change was given by God, rather than me being the driving force in finding it.

Then again, some other people do it the opposite way, they get rigorous and discplined in their practice, both otwardly and inwardly and slowly and steadily start to go deeper to experiencing authentic stuff. And then yet another group of seekers does the exact same thing as they do, and finds only frustration.

When I put all these stories people are telling together, the picture is just too multi-colored to make any sense. It seems random.

HereAndNow
26-07-2017, 03:36 PM
When I put all these stories people are telling together, the picture is just too multi-colored to make any sense. It seems random.

Some people say that nothing happens without God's (Universe's etc) grace.

I think it's often very true, especially in the matters of spiritual nature.

There's a man called UG Krishnamurti for example who claims to be enlightened, and also says that the more you work towards enlightenment the more your efforts become a hindrance. It happens when God's grace decides to give it to you.

I think working towards some goal considerabley increases the chances of it happening (the same UG Krishnamurti himself worked for years very hard to find enlightenment). But it doesn't guarantee it. Only grace can give it ... sometimes to someone who has worked hard, sometimes to someone who hasn't made any effort whatsoever.

And why does grace give to one and not the other?

Well - why sky is blue, leaves green, and roses (mostly) red?

Because that's how it is.

Jack of Spades
26-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Some people say that nothing happens without God's (Universe's etc) grace.

I think it's often very true, especially in the matters of spiritual nature.

There's a man called UG Krishnamurti for example who claims to be enlightened, and also says that the more you work towards enlightenment the more your efforts become a hindrance. It happens when God's grace decides to give it to you.

I think working towards some goal considerabley increases the chances of it happening (the same UG Krishnamurti himself worked for years very hard to find enlightenment). But it doesn't guarantee it. Only grace can give it ... sometimes to someone who has worked hard, sometimes to someone who hasn't made any effort whatsoever.

And why does grace give to one and not the other?

Well - why sky is blue, leaves green, and roses (mostly) red?

Because that's how it is.

That is one theory among others. It has it's merits and it's problems. Like all such theories do.

The merit of the "God decides it" - theory is that it explains spirituality to be on another level than a mere workout routine, and actually captures something otherworldly in the picture. Also, it's a good remainder of a gift indeed being a gift, not a technical achievement. For it's practical value, maybe when taken the right way, this way of looking at it inspires trust and helps with overachiever-mentality. It seems to also provide some sort of an explanation for why some people, in spite of similar situations and practices, end up in opposite outcomes.

On the other hand, the problem intellectually with this theory is that it's very fatalistic, makes one ask "what's the point to seek if I shall find regardless of do I seek or not?". Second problem when compared to real life stories of people, is that it seems to completely ignore the interactive nature of how so many people's spiritual lives function in practice. So many people can describe how they play a role in what's happening to them. Also, this one ignores the impact people have on other peoples lives. Spirituality in one person tends to inspire spirituality in others. Likewise, spiritual failures (from mere giving up to encountering frauds) of others tend to discourage other people around them and affect where they end up in their own process. It really appears as if there were more dynamics to the story than a sovereign decision by God, regardless of the surroundings. Now, one could suggest that these observable - and to a degree, predictable - patterns are all just the way for how God's sovereign will works, but that again would leave a taste of an excuse.

I rather appreciate the mystery that I can't explain than try to explain it with an explanation that leaves too many holes in the picture. I do not know how it all works, and for time being that's the only answer I have. I have some vague impressions and some hunches how it might be in some situations, but not the great explanation that would clue all those pieces together and form a coherent picture.

HereAndNow
26-07-2017, 05:29 PM
I rather appreciate the mystery that I can't explain than try to explain it with an explanation that leaves too many holes in the picture. I do not know how it all works, and for time being that's the only answer I have.

Well, if you are happy with the answer "I don't know how it works and I have no explanation for it" then perfectly fine.

I think no-one knows how it all works.

Or if someone knows then his knowledge is probably inexpressible in words.

But sometimes it's more practical to have theories and explanations, even despite the fact that in the ultimate sense they are all wrong or at least incomplete.

I think it's sometimes much more important what the real-life consequences of one's explanations and theories are, and not what these theories are as such.

Like if you as a person would like to be A, B and C (good or honest or wise or strong or good-looking or able to perform miracles or whatever), and if your explanations and theories help you to achieve this, then these theories are good theories ... at least for you.

Jack of Spades
26-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Or if someone knows then his knowledge is probably inexpressible in words.

Yep.

I think it's sometimes much more important what the real-life consequences of one's explanations and theories are, and not what these theories are as such.

Agreed to a certain degree. I'd like to add a sidenote, though:

I think if I focus on practical consequences of some explanation like that, then it's not my belief, but rather it's a source of inspiration and food for contemplation. If that is the case, I should refer to it as a source of inspiration, rather than as an explanation. For example, I am personally very much inspired and guided by the idea that everything comes as a God's gift and this seems to be in the line with my own experience. However, I find so many intellectual problems in accepting it as a fact, that it's not really my honest belief on the matter. Therefore it would be dishonest - or at least inconsistent - to claim it to be so, let alone offer it to someone else as an explanation.

I hope this doesn't sound like semantic nitpicking, for me this difference between "belief/truth" and "source of inspiration" or "thought of practical value" is a very important one. I find it important to make a distinction between what I claim to be true, and what is a mere source of inspiration, or used only for practical value.

Thinking of my young self, who was seeking the advice of others, I would have personally felt (and have felt) cheated if someone offered me an explanation as the truth on the matter, only to later on admit that it's not what they actually believe, but only find such line of thinking to be good for practical purposes.

Rayden_Greywolf
26-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Yep.

Agreed to a certain degree. I'd like to add a sidenote, though:

I think if I focus on practical consequences of some explanation like that, then it's not my belief, but rather it's a source of inspiration and food for contemplation. If that is the case, I should refer to it as a source of inspiration, rather than as an explanation. For example, I am personally very much inspired and guided by the idea that everything comes as a God's gift and this seems to be in the line with my own experience. However, I find so many intellectual problems in accepting it as a fact, that it's not really my honest belief on the matter. Therefore it would be dishonest - or at least inconsistent - to claim it to be so, let alone offer it to someone else as an explanation.

I hope this doesn't sound like semantic nitpicking, for me this difference between "belief/truth" and "source of inspiration" or "thought of practical value" is a very important one. I find it important to make a distinction between what I claim to be true, and what is a mere source of inspiration, or used only for practical value.

Thinking of my young self, who was seeking the advice of others, I would have personally felt (and have felt) cheated if someone offered me an explanation as the truth on the matter, only to later on admit that it's not what they actually believe, but only find such line of thinking to be good for practical purposes.

Exactly. I take inspiration from different pagan practices, but there's so little that I've actually experienced. Its like I have to choose between believing in what feels good and right or using my logical mind.

HereAndNow
26-07-2017, 08:13 PM
I'd like to add a sidenote, though

Totally makes sense.
What you said.

Regarding beliefs and truths and just inspiration ... I don't know ... i guess this distinction you made makes more sense if someone thinks that it's possible to know THE truth. In general or about something particular. Which would be one's belief then, yes? And if one is not sure then it would be just something that inspires or is useful.

I personally have never seen this distinction as very important because I have never thought that any truths in the absolute sense exist. At least not on the level of our human understanding. To me everything is an opinion or explanation or theory ... just some of these we take more seriously. Like the fact for example that the Sun is a burning star out there ... so and so many millions of kilometers from Earth. But well, how can I really know? If I had been travelling there and back then I could be more sure. But still ... maybe I'm dreaming it all .. this world around me ... and when I wake up then I discover that none of this was real. So I see all opinions or theories as just possibilities ... some of them I am of course also more passionate about than some others ... but they are still just opinions. So for me "belief" as "this is certainly so" just doesn't make much sense :) Or please correct me if that's not what you meant by "belief".

Jack of Spades
26-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Totally makes sense.
What you said.

Regarding beliefs and truths and just inspiration ... I don't know ... i guess this distinction you made makes more sense if someone thinks that it's possible to know THE truth. In general or about something particular. Which would be one's belief then, yes? And if one is not sure then it would be just something that inspires or is useful.

I personally have never seen this distinction as very important because I have never thought that any truths in the absolute sense exist. At least not on the level of our human understanding. To me everything is an opinion or explanation or theory ... just some of these we take more seriously. Like the fact for example that the Sun is a burning star out there ... so and so many millions of kilometers from Earth. But well, how can I really know? If I had been travelling there and back then I could be more sure. But still ... maybe I'm dreaming it all .. this world around me ... and when I wake up then I discover that none of this was real. So I see all opinions or theories as just possibilities ... some of them I am of course also more passionate about than some others ... but they are still just opinions. So for me "belief" as "this is certainly so" just doesn't make much sense :) Or please correct me if that's not what you meant by "belief".

In philoshopical sense, I guess what is regarded as knowledge, comes down to a level of confidence. I can't imagine any serious philosopher equating knowledge with absolute, final, unshakable certainty. In human experience knowledge is rather a state of reasonable confidence, with some shades of grey rather than a clear-cut line where knowledge begins and non-knowledge ends.

But without getting too dragged down the rabbit hole of essence of knowledge itself, I was talking about a rather limited, practical point of view; Thinking of a situation where I have conflicting beliefs, or credible reasons to suspect that I might not be right. I think fiction makes a good example of one extreme end; I have no reason to suspect that Rocky movies are true in literal sense, yet those movies used to inspire me as a teenager to practice boxing. The same is likely true for many people who saw sports movies as kids. I would consider it dishonest for adults to claim those movies to be true, with the intention that believing so would have a positive impact on the kids watching them. In this case the difference should be clear enough to be an easy example case.

Now, back to what this could mean for spiritual life, there is always a line in the sand. When thinking of extremes it's kinda easy to cast the confidence vote one way or the other, but in real life cases there is always some grey area.

I think we are more or less seeing the same coin from the different sides.

r6r6
26-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Some people have had visions, seen entities, communicate with spirits, etc. all of their lives.

People born blind have to take a lot on faith i.e.belief in what those who see can tell them they see. Ex color differrentiation.

Why should blind people believe people who can see? Because most people can see and agree for the most part on what they see.

Then there are people who have their wires crossed and when the smell the taste and when they taste the smell. Synesthesia.

It is strange world but then there is also the people who are pulling-cons on others for nothing else other than to get attention their specical way.

Universe is a mysterious place and so is the human brain. :tweety:

shivatar
27-07-2017, 05:30 AM
My understanding, including both science and faith, is that the brain will manufacture experiences required to keep a person alive. Near death experiences can come from self-death too. I mean if a person really committs to killing their self, to the point that the sub-conscious and unconscious both recognize it as a threat, the mind will fabricate experiences that are exactly what a person needs to begin enjoying life again.

Once upon a time I wanted death. Seconds later I was granted a vision, a supernatural experience with a universal entity (Maybe God, maybe not), and many other gifts that made me want to live again. The stronger my will to live became, the weaker the supernatural influence became.

These days I can't even think about dying. I've seen too much and I know that life has treasures waiting for me. The worst I get is depressed and I lose my energy.

--

There is a price to be paid if one wants to circumvent the test of faith. Once you've paid it you will probably begin to wish you didn't. I wanted to avoid believing so much that I spent years deluding myself and convincing myself that I'm insane and what I've experienced is not real.

There is a pressure and pain that comes with what you're asking. It's a responsibility much like having a child. The pain of not believing is like abandoning that child.

I think a part of you deeply wants to avoid the faith barrier. I also think that part of you is too naive to understand what you are asking for. I suggest that you begin trying, desperately trying, like a dedicated practice for years on end.

lets pretend you did get what you want. What if it's so horrible, like my experience, that you spend years trying to forget. What then?

--

Also it's possible you're still third eye blind. For some people the third eye opens rapidly and completely. for some people, like me, it opens slowly and in varying degrees. I was using my third eye for a long time before I realized what it was and what I was doing. to this day my third eye is still not fully opened. I've come to accept that it's not a part of my spiritual path right now and not very necessary. it seems like who I am on the spiritual level is akin to a blind person, all my other senses are heightened to the point that I can function well, but I lack the ability to see well. i guess I'm half blind lol. My third eye sees with a haze and in shadows, or sees flashes and glimpses, nothing sustainable yet.

From what I hear about other people their ability to see within their mind (to see from their minds eye, to see with their third eye) some people can see very clearly and have always seen very well. For others it's like they are looking at a wall of shadow. Their inner eyes are blocked or obscured or something like that.

It could be that your third eye is not opened.
It could be opened and you don't know how to use it. Meaning you don't recognize it for what it is, but you use it.
it could be that you don't have good astral vision/clear astral seeing.

it's not a bad thing, it's just a thing. like being born short or with one leg. A person who is short doesn't try to become tall, and a person with one leg doesn't try to grow another. They work within the constraints they are given and do the best they can with it. They don't compare their worth to others. They understand they can achieve greatness using what they have, they don't need other things.

I just don't get it.

Jack of Spades
27-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Exactly. I take inspiration from different pagan practices, but there's so little that I've actually experienced. Its like I have to choose between believing in what feels good and right or using my logical mind.

Have you ever considered to think of that "feeling good and right" - experience as a spiritual experience in itself? Experiences of spiritual guidance and sense of direction in their early stages aren't often that distinguishable from mere random feelings. Sometimes with such feelings you just have to pull the thread (keep practicing what feels right) and see what comes of it. Maybe there is no need to try to take a leap into experiencing something otherworldly, but rather follow the hunch?

I don't claim to know this for sure, but I think it's something worth considering in your situation.

HereAndNow
27-07-2017, 01:04 PM
I think we are more or less seeing the same coin from the different sides.

Sure.
Just interesting to think about these things.
And to try to understand better others and oneself :)

lemex
27-07-2017, 02:55 PM
In philoshopical sense, I guess what is regarded as knowledge, comes down to a level of confidence. I can't imagine any serious philosopher equating knowledge with absolute, final, unshakable certainty. In human experience knowledge is rather a state of reasonable confidence, with some shades of grey rather than a clear-cut line where knowledge begins and non-knowledge ends.

I have had a paranormal experience that was 100% real that I imagine very very few will ever have. This would be of the entity type. So I wish to relay what it means to be confident. So I have knowledge that allows me to speak with confidence of that reality. In the philosophical sense I can't say why it happened only that it did. I can't say with certainty other then that. Now it happened only 1 time and is not recurring. Yet the 1 time altered my life so I can imagine the effect if it happened more so daily. I wish everyone could have at least 1 experience so they could know how it felt then a decision could be made in that moment. It may be the interpretation we give the event that is philosophical. I think it is the "I' in everyone that attaches as I cannot tell anyone why which is why I no longer make or engage in such attaching. I now treat it as so what........

The event is lost in the philosophical conversation of those who do not experience it. 100% certainty doesn't mean anything is known about the entity.

FallingLeaves
28-07-2017, 01:27 AM

grace is the easy way... if you can get it... wish god were that nice to me...

the problem is that the tools used to try to achieve goals are such that they interfere with achieving this particular goal. As you work toward the goal it becomes a matter of diminishing returns and eventually you get tired and give up to wait on grace.

Miss Hepburn
29-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Some people have had visions, seen entities, communicate with spirits, etc. all of their lives.
I just don't get it.
Sorry for getting angsty again here, just....I'm really frustrated right now.That is what they,'some people', need. Pure and simple...we all receive what we need at the right time.
That is the wisdom that gets rid of angst or jealousy.
More concretely put...
Did Donald T. need to be a millionaire and President? Yes.
Do I? No.
Do i feel angst about it? No.

Your angst is so perfect for you ...what you tolerate you will never change...you want more?
You can be as close to God as you want to be...it all depends on how
much time you are willing to put into it.

Do visions 'just come to people'? No, in other lives they have put in the time. ;)

Sit, be still...longer....open your heart to the One that is the giver of everything your heart desires.

My input.

Sojourner2013
29-07-2017, 01:07 PM

I just don't get it.

Hi Rayden_Greywolf,

I would like to suggest two things to help you that have helped me get in vibration with the LOA.

1) Get pure about your "agendas" when seeking to attract something. What I mean by agenda is your intentions for something. Really seek to understand why you want something. Example: You want to help serve food at a homeless shelter. Maybe it's to impress someone you like that does similar work. Or maybe it's because you were once homeless and understand the importance of returning kindnesses. Really figure out your intention to do/have something. There's no right or wrong, but just to develop your self-awareness. Once you start serving mankind (others) and not self (ego), you'll see how things begin to change for you.

2) Have a SINCERE heart-to-heart with whatever Higher Power you believe in. I don't specify any particular religious figure because that's not the important factor. What is important is that you have a heart-to-heart and ask for what you want and why you want it. There is no right or wrong, just pure, wonderful Truth (your Truth) in asking that Higher Power.

Best wishes!

John32241
29-07-2017, 02:44 PM

I just don't get it.

Hi,

The human intellect gets in the way of belief. Now if you could some how learn to trust and evolve your instincts and intuition, then integrate those with the intellect, the grand plan of God would not be such a mystery to you.

John

keokutah
31-07-2017, 05:52 AM

I just don't get it.

I think one answer to this is literally explained by the personalities of pessimists and optimists.

You probably already know that pessimists are prone to depression and feeling hopeless when hardships come their way. They usually over dramatize bad things that happen.

Optimists are always resiliant and hopeful despite when those same hardships come their way. They just have faith that even though things are absolutely sucky right now, that things will get better.

Pessimism prevents you from "seeing" anything spiritually, because it closes you off to it. One bad event completely derails all their faith and confidence in themselves and their spirituality.

But the optimist is hopeful and always has faith, thus they are obviously going to be more able to "see" things. Even though they might be skeptical sometimes about what they see and hear, they don't let that skepticism block them from having a spiritual experience.
An optimist may even have problems or fears that get in the way of their ability to hear their spirit guides, but they are resilient enough to deal with those issues, without letting pessimistic thoughts derail them from their spiritual path.

You can train yourself to be optimistic, there are a bazillion helpful books on the matter and if you're interested I can recommend my favorite one (I'd have to go check my bookshelf because I don't remember the name of it right now).

I had some pessimistic episodes in my life, but for the most part I've always been an optimist. My life absolutely sucked when I was a kid (I was one of those kids who lived in hospitals always undergoing surgeries) but I always had an optimistic attitude about it and tried to be strong and resilient for my loved ones. Every step of the way.
I was always hopeful and imaginative as a kid, I lived on a farm so I could be free spiritied, I always felt different, thus my spiritual abilities came to me at a very early age, as far back as I can remember. When other children were playing games, I was thinking about philosophy and questioning my white parents' religion. I was also adopted and told that at a young age so it made me question my identity, something most people never question until their 40's.
Then as a pre teen I was diagnosed with cancer, and again I handled it with as much optimism as I could muster.
I had such a painful physical life, that I spent a lot of my time hoping that things would get better, and trying to escape from my reality with spirituality and paranormal things, hence why I started seeing spirits and paranormal things at such a young age.
I used to pray for ghosts to befriend me because I was so lonely and had no one during these times, and I desperately wanted there to be more to life.
My physical life unfortunately got worse and worse as I aged, and there were times I became a pessimist but my optimism always took over and saved me from the depths of misery I was in when things got so overwhelming, and ultimately it all forced me to go deeper into my spirituality for comfort.

Obviously, without my faith I wouldn't be here, it was the ONLY thing that saved my life countless of times, and I don't say that lightly.
But having that kind of hope, in the midst of chaos, is exactly what optimism is all about.

And I know most pessimists might look at my situation and think, how do you know you didn't just create all of it out of desperation.
You could think of all religion and faith as delusions that desperate, lonely, scared people make to sooth themselves so they feel better falling asleep at night - and that is such a depressing view - but it is a common, skeptical view that probably the majority of the population shares.

But despite the overwhelming majority of skeptics in the world who say there is no proof of my beliefs, I actually do have proof and I have a lot of it. It would be pointless trying to describe all the things that happened to me that gave me validation in my beliefs - it would fill a gigantic novel, there are so many amazing, synchronistic, incredible, unreal things that happened to me that proved to me beyond a doubt in my mind that, what I believe in is real.

Edited to add that obviously my life did get better eventually as I aged, but it was many years of suffering to get to where I am today, and i am more optimistic than ever.

Rayden_Greywolf
31-07-2017, 01:49 PM
I think one answer to this is literally explained by the personalities of pessimists and optimists.

You probably already know that pessimists are prone to depression and feeling hopeless when hardships come their way. They usually over dramatize bad things that happen.

Optimists are always resiliant and hopeful despite when those same hardships come their way. They just have faith that even though things are absolutely sucky right now, that things will get better.

Pessimism prevents you from "seeing" anything spiritually, because it closes you off to it. One bad event completely derails all their faith and confidence in themselves and their spirituality.

But the optimist is hopeful and always has faith, thus they are obviously going to be more able to "see" things. Even though they might be skeptical sometimes about what they see and hear, they don't let that skepticism block them from having a spiritual experience.
An optimist may even have problems or fears that get in the way of their ability to hear their spirit guides, but they are resilient enough to deal with those issues, without letting pessimistic thoughts derail them from their spiritual path.

You can train yourself to be optimistic, there are a bazillion helpful books on the matter and if you're interested I can recommend my favorite one (I'd have to go check my bookshelf because I don't remember the name of it right now).

I had some pessimistic episodes in my life, but for the most part I've always been an optimist. My life absolutely sucked when I was a kid (I was one of those kids who lived in hospitals always undergoing surgeries) but I always had an optimistic attitude about it and tried to be strong and resilient for my loved ones. Every step of the way.
I was always hopeful and imaginative as a kid, I lived on a farm so I could be free spiritied, I always felt different, thus my spiritual abilities came to me at a very early age, as far back as I can remember. When other children were playing games, I was thinking about philosophy and questioning my white parents' religion. I was also adopted and told that at a young age so it made me question my identity, something most people never question until their 40's.
Then as a pre teen I was diagnosed with cancer, and again I handled it with as much optimism as I could muster.
I had such a painful physical life, that I spent a lot of my time hoping that things would get better, and trying to escape from my reality with spirituality and paranormal things, hence why I started seeing spirits and paranormal things at such a young age.
I used to pray for ghosts to befriend me because I was so lonely and had no one during these times, and I desperately wanted there to be more to life.
My physical life unfortunately got worse and worse as I aged, and there were times I became a pessimist but my optimism always took over and saved me from the depths of misery I was in when things got so overwhelming, and ultimately it all forced me to go deeper into my spirituality for comfort.

Obviously, without my faith I wouldn't be here, it was the ONLY thing that saved my life countless of times, and I don't say that lightly.
But having that kind of hope, in the midst of chaos, is exactly what optimism is all about.

And I know most pessimists might look at my situation and think, how do you know you didn't just create all of it out of desperation.
You could think of all religion and faith as delusions that desperate, lonely, scared people make to sooth themselves so they feel better falling asleep at night - and that is such a depressing view - but it is a common, skeptical view that probably the majority of the population shares.

But despite the overwhelming majority of skeptics in the world who say there is no proof of my beliefs, I actually do have proof and I have a lot of it. It would be pointless trying to describe all the things that happened to me that gave me validation in my beliefs - it would fill a gigantic novel, there are so many amazing, synchronistic, incredible, unreal things that happened to me that proved to me beyond a doubt in my mind that, what I believe in is real.

Edited to add that obviously my life did get better eventually as I aged, but it was many years of suffering to get to where I am today, and i am more optimistic than ever.

I'm not sure you can force faith though....I mean, trying to tell a pessimist to be an optimist is kind of like saying to a depressed person "Well, have you tried being positive?"

Rayden_Greywolf
31-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Another thought:

Would the world not be a happier, more peaceful place if everyone had spiritual experiences? Why make a relationship with God(s) purposefully difficult for some?

lemex
31-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Another thought:

Would the world not be a happier, more peaceful place if everyone had spiritual experiences? Why make a relationship with God(s) purposefully difficult for some?

Excellent question. From my experience which is only a single POV and not everyone, the experience is part of my life, so I'd say everyone would be happier. One has a clarity about it and only from that perspective. I often wonder what I'd think or be like without having had it. Though my life was difficult in my eyes having the out of ordinary experience is forever interwoven with life within me. It may be our expectations make us try to build our monuments of falsehood to it so I make no attachment to it. In a simple way, when I hear a person say this or that isn't possible I know how inaccurate this can be. That is my clarity. It is experiencing something talked about....

You are right though, within experience one has a relationship and it isn't difficult to have a certainty about it. In our present, one doesn't have to believe what other's say (and dare I say written). What if what one experiences and what is written are (felt) different? John32241 I think touches on this. My experience has told me long ago, if what is said is felt incorrect then any words may be incorrect, whether written or said...lol. Example, putting it down in writing does not mean it is true, not even if it is old or written by someone else. It becomes important to see that and think about why you see that. Like trying to experience what you have not experienced (yet).

I know when I first joined SF I was looking for something specific. This was my error. The problem I have found is we embed ideas we have no knowledge about. When I hear something said or see it written I know what I feel and I call this the heart. Do we use the heart in spiritual thinking. We talk about the heart or is thought just used in the physical reasoning.

I've always wondered about perception and experience. Maybe a study might help answer this question what do I feel. As I have but have no proof about this experience it has altered my life, you know cause and effect, something I feel. Irrational as it is. I can always see it and relate to it. I look out in the world and see (so called) spiritual manifesting and say, no way.

I'm thinking it more about wanting to be spiritual as I first imagined it would be. I now see it as ok, that it is not and find I have much to learn. If you listen with your heart 100% of the time then you know what questions to ask. So, would the world be better for it. I mention this because I have said time and again I wish every person could have a similar kind of experience. I also realize the experience was intrusive and permission was not asked for. I do believe in spiritual rights to. Should permission be asked to. Just some thoughts.

keokutah
01-08-2017, 02:27 AM
I'm not sure you can force faith though....I mean, trying to tell a pessimist to be an optimist is kind of like saying to a depressed person "Well, have you tried being positive?"

No, it's definitely not. Depression is a mental illness. Pessimism is a perspective that can be changed, hence all the therapies and books about it in the world.

Rayden_Greywolf
01-08-2017, 03:33 AM
No, it's definitely not. Depression is a mental illness. Pessimism is a perspective that can be changed, hence all the therapies and books about it in the world.

Yeah, you're right I suppose. I shouldn't be using either of those as an excuse anyway.

calla lily
09-08-2017, 09:02 PM

It is similar to our other gifts (the ability to draw, build things, understand advanced maths, etc...), we all have a gift but what we have will be different than the other person's. There is a spiritual reason for this. Just like our psychic gifts. The big difference between the two different kinds of gifts is that one is more apparent from a young age (the first type). In psychic gifts, maybe a small percentage of people will be aware of it early on and use it. For everyone else, you have to develop it. The best way to do this is to meditate regularly.

From my own experience, before I started meditating, all I had was a basic intuition. After a few years of meditating, my gifts started to develop. It's still in its early stages though. I can't really use it yet.

So that's my advice - start meditating regularly.

Colorado
10-08-2017, 05:30 PM
You can actually see it....I think.

I have a theory about psychic abilities and such. It does seem to run in families sometimes. I have noticed in my family, a lot of us have Add, ADHD, or Aspergers. It's all kind of similiar in ways. It seems that people who are naturally high or hyperactive, may already be sensitive to these things. The problem comes when a person doesn't realize that they are seeing things that others aren't. A lot of times, I think people see what I see...so I don't know that they aren't...and that makes it easy to look over, especially if it's during the day or even online in a chat room. Also, when I was young, and I would tell my parents, because I was a toddler...they would laugh, and say it was my imagination. Over time, I got use to my "imagination" and stopped paying attention to it.

I am one of those people who have experiences my whole life, including with aliens...but nothing dramatic around, mainly dreams of family on other planets and seeing a deceased relative made of light, in alien form.

Ive also noticed in my family, several of my me,bers, including myself...have a different blood type, and are RH-, we also all have slanted eyes, and my husband would often call me his alien, and also make fun of my head shape...because I do have a longer skull shape, especially in the back of my head. Some of my family members eyes are very large...which gives us that appearance. We often get compliments on our eyes, even though we all have different color of eyes, the shape is the same. We are all also hypersensitive to sounds, pain, weather, etc. I can feel weather changes before it's even on the news. We are all also very quiet, and don't talk a lot. Also, most of the children in my family are academically gifted, and are on the high honors list, or graduating with scholarships...and there's about 12 of them. The others are gifted in the arts or science...which Inthinknis weird.

That's just my loose observation and opinion....nothing serious, just something I have noticed because I am interested, too why I have these experiences and have read so many things online that I can identify with.

Some people will tell you to raise your energetic levels, or frequency...it's like a natural high, without actually being high...for those who mediate...they can they can also have these experiences with practice. I do notice at times, that I have more experiences right when I'm waking up or falling asleep...called the twilight stage. Which, I guess...is similiar to a meditative state.

stars
10-08-2017, 07:30 PM

I just don't get it.

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

---------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps you just aren't "seeing" what you think you want to see? Slow down, don't get upset about it, and notice everything.

r6r6
10-08-2017, 09:54 PM
To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

Ha ha, prime cut, choice humor, nail on the head, out of the park, :icon_salut:

r6

Rayden_Greywolf
11-08-2017, 01:58 AM
A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

---------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps you just aren't "seeing" what you think you want to see? Slow down, don't get upset about it, and notice everything.

Why be blunt with some and practically non-existent to others though? What's the value in that?

Rayden_Greywolf
15-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Like, what is the purpose of faith? Why is it even necessary, when I have lots of friends who have had spiritual experiences all their lives, while I've had seemingly none?

shivatar
17-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Like, what is the purpose of faith? Why is it even necessary, when I have lots of friends who have had spiritual experiences all their lives, while I've had seemingly none?

Faith is necessary because the world is a mystery. Just try to explain everything to yourself, you'll find out sooner or later that nothing can be entirely explained. At some point faith is necessary for everything.

Raziel
17-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Hi Rayden,

I have always thought the same, it feels like as a child or pre-teen everything was a synchronicity for me. I would get a "feeling" to go somewhere & something would pop out at me once I arrived. It could be toys that were exclusives or I would gain friends or information that would benefit me for years to come.

Once I even had an experience where something so crazy happened that it would be very difficult to deny spirit or telekinetic help.

This spirituality seemed to abandon me as a teenager & there were times when even the simplest nod from the "otherside" could have lifted me out of a bad few years but I was on my own.

I have learned that some cultures & religions believe that there is a point where a soul is still pure & absolved of any guilt etc & then say at 11 you take responsibility yourself. This doesn't explain why there is child abuse or orphans or why some people suffer tragedies on the anniversary of another one so frequently... I think that just as you don't get to see the memo's of a company CEO there are things in heaven & earth that just aren't for you to understand & nature just doesn't care how you feel about it.

For me personal responsibility is what it boils down to - after all as much as people claim to have "proof" of god or spirituality it is all based on "faith" which is essentially hope, self convincing & positive thinking.

I find that Lenity allows for these things to still exist & be a possibility but at the same time asks us to pull ourselves up by the bootstraps. You don't follow someone else's doctrine or ideology but you stay open to it if you see proof of a benefit to yourself or others. The main thing is to be ready to absorb positive information or lessons but not limit yourself in the way that say a "Liberal" will close their ears to a "conservative" viewpoint or visa versa.

The truth is that unless you see things for yourself or honestly "feel" the spirituality that someone else describes it's entirely possible that it is they that are fault & not you. Their own tales like mine above could very well be misinterpretations just as the "rain dance" or sacrifices effecting the weather all those years ago are irrelevant now we have weather forecasting & knowledge of isobars & what not.

Lenity says that a "good christian" for example may still judge others who are less so in their eyes despite preaching virtues to the contrary. You can take the reigns & providing that you are being honest with yourself give to the world your very best. Again Lenity describes the carrot on a stick scenario whereby because you are chasing something spoken of as truth you never really find it or it isn't what you expected because it wasn't your experience it was theirs.

Stay open & observe but more importantly be a great student, teacher, paramedic or parent for example as we all benefit from those things consistently & for years to come. They deal in tangible realities but if something spiritual shows itself you are a witness but aren't chasing it to the point of frustration.

Elsewhere I spoke to an "enlightened" fellow who said that he teaches his daughter that violence is for the ignorant & is never the answer. When I raised the point of what would she do if she were about to be sexually assaulted he couldn't really answer. He desperately needed to stick to his ideology but at the same time it was his daughter so ...

Both points were completely valid but you also have to get real & bend when it's time otherwise your locking yourself into or out of answers.

Hibiscus
19-08-2017, 11:44 PM

My ex was a firm disbeliever in the paranormal... until he experienced it. So I honestly don't think faith is necessary. Everything happens in its own time.

Whether it's astrology, tarot, pagan practices, etc. all these things are symbolic. You don't need to believe the literal items have some mystical powers, they're just tools to connect you to the energy you're seeking. So my advice is just have fun with it, don't take it all so seriously. Set your intentions and let go of the results..

Rayden_Greywolf
20-08-2017, 03:42 AM
My ex was a firm disbeliever in the paranormal... until he experienced it. So I honestly don't think faith is necessary. Everything happens in its own time.

Whether it's astrology, tarot, pagan practices, etc. all these things are symbolic. You don't need to believe the literal items have some mystical powers, they're just tools to connect you to the energy you're seeking. So my advice is just have fun with it, don't take it all so seriously. Set your intentions and let go of the results..

Its just weird because I feel so drawn to this path. Its like I'm just waiting for something to happen, and I don't know what to do in the meantime.

Raziel
20-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Its just weird because I feel so drawn to this path. Its like I'm just waiting for something to happen, and I don't know what to do in the meantime.

Your missing the obvious in that fact that it might not be true.

Faith: strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.

You could just focus on being a good person, not in a point scoring religion style but everyday.

From not leaving clothes lying on the floor for someone else to pick up to biting your tongue when someone is rude. Or speaking out when someone is being unreasonable.

That is something that if done everyday actually helps create the positive & it's tangible.

Can millions of people be wrong .. yes they can just look at those who followed Stalin or the Mayans that believed in human sacrifice.

Maybe Eastern or Chinese philosophy as a sort of middle ground for you?

Daoism for example but this could just be that you are using your clear logic & have discovered that the supernatural is just that - it's not part of life?

Hibiscus
20-08-2017, 10:43 AM

So do nothing... just let go of your expectations. Can I ask were you raised in a Christian background? The way you talk about faith and God makes me wonder..

Rayden_Greywolf
20-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Your missing the obvious in that fact that it might not be true.

Unfortunately, I find myself stuck in a position where I feel I kind of need it to be true. I'm not satisfied with the world I'm in. I see so many terrible things happen to good people, and without the supernatural existing, I have no way to explain that. The world just feels empty and meaningless then.

Rayden_Greywolf
20-08-2017, 08:06 PM
So do nothing... just let go of your expectations. Can I ask were you raised in a Christian background? The way you talk about faith and God makes me wonder..

I try. Its hard to do when its been like this for several years, but I try. And yes, I was. Part of a cookie-cutter Christian family that went to church on sundays. It was easy to not think about God and just assume everything was good until it wasn't and I was just left with silence and questions.

Raziel
20-08-2017, 10:41 PM
I was just left with silence and questions.

I hear you there, I feel it went silent as I became a teenager was it he same for you?

Logic would say that it is essentially growing up - you stop believing in fantasy as biologicaly speaking you'd be on the way to coming of age: in practically every culture.

It concerns me that you maybe taken advantage of by people who "know for sure" therefore follow a certain spiritual belief. When you really think about it it's all just brands - cornflakes or frosties, Christianity or Buddhism little differences but the same overall thing.

Take on the responsibility yourself & be good, help others & set an example!

The world needs doctors & fireman - tangible goodness - ever considered that sort of thing?

terrible things happen to good people

Unfortunately yes - watch any nature show & animals struggle to survive everyday, nature doesn't care about individuals it's that simple. A wilderbeast will be eaten alive but hey the rest of the herds grazing again. I worked in animal welfare & still dabble, awful things happen & the only way to make it better is to make it better.

I'd find something meaningful - go be someones hero.

Hibiscus
22-08-2017, 12:44 AM
I try. Its hard to do when its been like this for several years, but I try. And yes, I was. Part of a cookie-cutter Christian family that went to church on sundays. It was easy to not think about God and just assume everything was good until it wasn't and I was just left with silence and questions.

I could tell because I was raised that way too. I think the existential crisis is really common for people who question or stray from the church's view on spirituality.

You know you don't believe in that but what do you believe in? Christianity is imo centered around fear and guilt.. it can take a long time to dismantle those ideas from your way of thinking. It sounds to me like you feel God might be punishing you in some way for not having enough faith by withholding certain experiences?

I don't have a magical soultion but the antidote to fear is love.. So it might sound ridiculous but try to think of it as god is love, god is nature, god is in all of us.. we create our own realities to an extent, with the help of collective consciousness

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/11/connecting-to-the-collective-consciousness/

Rayden_Greywolf
22-08-2017, 02:14 AM
I could tell because I was raised that way too. I think the existential crisis is really common for people who question or stray from the church's view on spirituality.

You know you don't believe in that but what do you believe in? Christianity is imo centered around fear and guilt.. it can take a long time to dismantle those ideas from your way of thinking. It sounds to me like you feel God might be punishing you in some way for not having enough faith by withholding certain experiences?

I don't have a magical soultion but the antidote to fear is love.. So it might sound ridiculous but try to think of it as god is love, god is nature, god is in all of us.. we create our own realities to an extent, with the help of collective consciousness

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/11/connecting-to-the-collective-consciousness/

Yeah, and a counselor I was seeing also suggested I might be projecting my parents onto God, and the parallels make a lot of sense.

I now have the opportunity to possibly view God in a new light. Its....a strange feeling lol

Hibiscus
22-08-2017, 05:56 AM
Yeah, and a counselor I was seeing also suggested I might be projecting my parents onto God, and the parallels make a lot of sense.

I now have the opportunity to possibly view God in a new light. Its....a strange feeling lol

Yes, the Christian view of God creates power hierarchies. God is more powerful than nature, men have more power than women, and from there it's easy to see how white missionaries colonized "uncivilized" nations and races acting under "divine instruction". Fear and guilt are also great ways of controlling people.

Glad you're working through it.. it's not always easy to make peace with but the world needs more people to wake up from this old spiritual paradigm.