PDA

View Full Version : Aarrggg... Church!!!

zytumi
21-02-2011, 12:13 AM
My mother in-law is a devout Mormon and is getting near to leaving life behind. She is a sweet lady, but not the brightest and there is no talking sense to her.

Anyhow she told my husband that she has been staying up nights praying and crying because he won't go to church. My husband and I were kicked out because we were associating with people our local leadership did not approve of and we told him we would walk our path as we are told to by the spirit and not him or their prophet.

Long story short, he agreed to go to church to make her feel better. He explained that it would not change him back into a Mormon but that seemed to get her to let go of her prayer vigils that were making her sick.

He is a good son. And I respect him doing this for her. I feel compelled to go, I am disgusted by the whole thing.

The congregation is mostly black and the people in charge (mostly white men) talk down to them and treat them like they are teaching infants. They talk down to them and give them little if nothing in the way of spiritual edification.

I come home soul sick from it.

Just need to vent.
Zy

Saladkiller
21-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Awww zytumi. *Hugs* Sounds like you really could use them right now. Ive had a similar situation in my life. For the most part, theres not a lot that can be done about it.

Although as i read your story, i found myself wishing i could pull jesus out of my sleeve to set them straight.

Silver
21-02-2011, 12:37 AM
The congregation is mostly black and the people in charge (mostly white men) talk down to them and treat them like they are teaching infants. They talk down to them and give them little if nothing in the way of spiritual edification.

Just need to vent.
Zy

I feel for you, I really do.
I had an incompetent mil myself, lol.
I hope the congregation members wake up and walk out.
They should realize when they're being treated with disdain.
That's not your problem, but I know how it must feel.
Just as long as you and your hubby are happy with one another.

zytumi
21-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Thank you for hugs and understanding words.

It is so strange that people will cling even harder to their religion right before they go, even when they know very little about it.

I'm resolved that next week I will meditate on projecting love and white light which hopefully leave me feeling less upset and drained.

Silver
21-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Most definitely a fine idea (projecting love and white light).

Let us know how it goes afterwards.

Mind's Eye
21-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Many, Many, Many people do not actually worship God.. they worship their churches and pastors. It is what many call Churchianity, because the church is seen as this great place of redemption and salvation. It is very sad to see.

It is sad that many have never read the Bible for themselves and see where Jesus had said that the true believers would worship God in spirit and in truth; not in any temple or high holy mountain.

Many also fail to see also where Jesus said that the kingdom of God is within us.. The Bible also says that God's house is made of living stones; meaning, the people are the stones that compose the house of the Divine.. not some brick, physical building made by man.

Yet many still cling to their churches like a giant idol and weep and cry and make themselves ill over those who don't sit in the pews of the pawns each and every sunday morning.

I wish people would wake up and see that these buildings and the men in them cannot save their souls or give them peace.

Maybe you should look up some of the Bible verses I have mentiond here and show them to your mother-in-law... And tell her that your "church" is in the sanctuary of your soul where the Divine Spirit dwells. And it is there that no man can talk down to you or place you under condemnation; for Holy spirit is the candle upon your inner alter, and the still small voice of God is your teacher.

Baldr44
21-02-2011, 04:32 PM
My mother in-law is a devout Mormon and is getting near to leaving life behind. She is a sweet lady, but not the brightest and there is no talking sense to her.

Anyhow she told my husband that she has been staying up nights praying and crying because he won't go to church. My husband and I were kicked out because we were associating with people our local leadership did not approve of and we told him we would walk our path as we are told to by the spirit and not him or their prophet.

Long story short, he agreed to go to church to make her feel better. He explained that it would not change him back into a Mormon but that seemed to get her to let go of her prayer vigils that were making her sick.

He is a good son. And I respect him doing this for her. I feel compelled to go, I am disgusted by the whole thing.

Just need to vent.
Zy

The mormon church is very controlling, even more so than most other christian church's. My niece was trapped by them but finally got out. There was no talking to her for awhile.
The thing to remember is, that will all go away when she passes over through the veil. She will find the truth. As for now she is probably on her own journey of discovery. It is sad that there are so many so convinced that they are right, that they drag others into their beliefs.

Silver
21-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Many, Many, Many people do not actually worship God.. they worship their churches and pastors. It is what many call Churchianity, because the church is seen as this great place of redemption and salvation. It is very sad to see.

It is sad that many have never read the Bible for themselves and see where Jesus had said that the true believers would worship God in spirit and in truth; not in any temple or high holy mountain.

Many also fail to see also where Jesus said that the kingdom of God is within us.. The Bible also says that God's house is made of living stones; meaning, the people are the stones that compose the house of the Divine.. not some brick, physical building made by man.

Yet many still cling to their churches like a giant idol and weep and cry and make themselves ill over those who don't sit in the pews of the pawns each and every sunday morning.

I wish people would wake up and see that these buildings and the men in them cannot save their souls or give them peace.

...God is your teacher.

I wish I'd said that! You're really really explained how it really is out there in supposed "Christian-land" and I pray that people will wake up and realize what it is they're really believing and following along with. With what went on in my family, it explains precisely how the church is used as a gateway 'drug' so to speak, for young adults to be recruited into the legitimate businessmen's groups. This is what neutralizes the love and foundation of societies (our real families).

Mind's Eye
21-02-2011, 11:54 PM
I wish I'd said that! You're really really explained how it really is out there in supposed "Christian-land" and I pray that people will wake up and realize what it is they're really believing and following along with. With what went on in my family, it explains precisely how the church is used as a gateway 'drug' so to speak, for young adults to be recruited into the legitimate businessmen's groups. This is what neutralizes the love and foundation of societies (our real families).

So right you are Silvergirl. Most churches are little more than club houses for the self righteous and super snobs. It sounds terrible to say, but most "Christian congregations" judge people on what kind of clothes they wear and how much they bring in at the end of the year. And of course, those who put the largest amounts in the offering plate are treated as the star pupils among the members.

Mix all of the above with a healthy dose of fear laced doctrines and tell your congregation they alone are hearing the word of God rightly divided... and you have some very confused people who put their loyalties in all the wrong places. And meanwhile, the very Bible they preach from and read condems such things. And it always amazes me that the verses that speak against their warped ways seem like they are invisible to their eyes. Or they just shrug it off and say that those verses only applied to the jewish religious leaders of Jesus' day... It certainly doesn't apply to them because they are saved.

When you really think about this state of affairs, it almost leaves you speechless on how to respond to it all.

zytumi
22-02-2011, 12:53 AM

Maybe you should look up some of the Bible verses I have mentiond here and show them to your mother-in-law... And tell her that your "church" is in the sanctuary of your soul where the Divine Spirit dwells. And it is there that no man can talk down to you or place you under condemnation; for Holy spirit is the candle upon your inner alter, and the still small voice of God is your teacher.

I feel very much the same way. I wish there was some way to comfort her, that her son is a good and spiritual person, but she has such narrow views that I fear she will not be settled until after she is on the other side. (I hope, the last thing I need is her haunting us.)

zytumi
22-02-2011, 01:05 AM
It appears I may get a short reprieve. My husband has found out his mother is missing her doctor appointments and not taking her prescriptions. He believes she has gotten too lonely since her sister died last spring. So he is going to go live with her for a while, it'll give him a chance to work out her affairs. She doesn't want to live with us and she lives too far away for us to move in with her, as I am doing child care for our children. He can come home to visit often so it's not all that bad of an idea for the moment.

ellavate
25-10-2011, 05:48 PM

minds eye i like your post very much, a lot of wisdom there ;)))

MMM
26-10-2011, 06:54 AM
go to church if it solves the problem (consider a time to multitask and think about work or something.....)
go to her funeral then don't attend church again

blackraven
26-10-2011, 11:50 PM
[/SIZE]

Mind's Eye - Never heard the term "Churchianity" before but I like it. Hope you don't mind if I use it. I'll tell 'em I got it from Mind's Eye! :D

Blackraven

Vaughn
28-10-2011, 09:08 PM
You nor anyone can change how someone thinks or feels, it's always a personal journey, an individual choice.

Understanding, patience, compassion, listening without judgement is all anyone can do.

Give her your love, respect her wishes ...that's all that anyone can do.