PDA

View Full Version : The start of it all..

ThaSpiritualBanxBro
19-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Hello.. My name is Keishawn and I started my spiritual journey about a month ago.. I'm feeling kind of lost on where to Begin on my journey.. I hve researched about meditation, chakras, etc etc.. It would help a lot if members that are experienced on their journey could give me a little insight on how they began their journey, and the steps they took.. Thank you very much.. just need a little guidance I believe lol..

iamthat
19-06-2017, 08:27 PM
This is such a broad question that it might help to narrow it down to begin with.

The first thing is to find a practice which suits you. Are you drawn to any particular path or practice or teachers? Do you resonate with Western mysticism or with one of the many Eastern practices. Do you feel inspired by any of the yogic paths or the Buddhist paths? The main thing is to begin - you can always change direction later on.

Are there any groups where you live which teach meditation or some kind of bodywork? If so, go along and see if it feels right. It helps to be able to discuss these things with other like-minded people, but also be aware that while others may sound very knowledgeable they may also be limited by their own particular beliefs.

For myself, I came across a meditation group at university a long time ago. That was the start of my journey in this lifetime. I had doubts and questions, but reading books like Yogananda's Autobiography of a Yogi and Be Here Now by Ram Dass made me realise that my path was the path of the yogi.

I left that group eight years later but continued with the practices, all the while studying various paths, Eastern and Western. I just have a certain spiritual curiosity, but it helps to be grounded in one particular practice.

So be open to whatever comes your way, but also be ready to let something go and move on, if that feels right. It is all learning.

Peace.

ThaSpiritualBanxBro
19-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Thank you so much for the advice.. I have more research to do on wat practices suits me best because I haven't gotten to that part of research yet but I will start now.. Thank you again.. very helpful!

HereAndNow
21-06-2017, 06:21 PM
But why did you start a spiritual journey ... and where do you want to get to? If you are little be clearer for yourself about why you want to be on a spiritual journey and what do you want to find then practical steps follow by themselves. My own conscious journey started from accidentally reading some books and liking them (The Art of Loving by Erich Fromm was one of the first ones) ... that was almost 30 years ago ... one book pointed towards some new one, or towards some practices ... trying meditation and yoga etc ... martial arts ... doing some courses and retreats ... that's how it started. Good luck!!

shivatar
21-06-2017, 11:55 PM
I read about 1,000 articles over a period of a few years. I've read maybe 5 spiritual books so far on my journey, I've leafed through a lot and skimmed the backs of many but I haven't read many entirely.

The articles were my preference, find out what ignites your interest and follow it.

ThaSpiritualBanxBro
22-06-2017, 03:04 AM
But why did you start a spiritual journey ... and where do you want to get to? If you are little be clearer for yourself about why you want to be on a spiritual journey and what do you want to find then practical steps follow by themselves. My own conscious journey started from accidentally reading some books and liking them (The Art of Loving by Erich Fromm was one of the first ones) ... that was almost 30 years ago ... one book pointed towards some new one, or towards some practices ... trying meditation and yoga etc ... martial arts ... doing some courses and retreats ... that's how it started. Good luck!!
Well it all begain just trying to become a better person in the physical world.. Wanting to eat better etc etc.. And that led me to finding videos about spirituality and such.. as long as I can remember I have always knew how decieving this world is and always knew it was something more than what we see with our 2 physical eyes.. I never felt attachment to religion and always believed in reincarnation.. so my curious mind started to wonder more and more after I started watching more videos of other people and them explaining what the spiritual life is what it stands for etc etc.. idk if thats the best explanation.. but I just want to know the truth.. become the greatest version of myself.. i feel like this is the journey I should be taking..

Chrysalis
22-06-2017, 06:23 AM
Hello.. My name is Keishawn and I started my spiritual journey about a month ago.. I'm feeling kind of lost on where to Begin on my journey.. I hve researched about meditation, chakras, etc etc.. It would help a lot if members that are experienced on their journey could give me a little insight on how they began their journey, and the steps they took.. Thank you very much.. just need a little guidance I believe lol..

When I began my journey, I did a lot of reading about crystals, meditation, chakras, etc. It took me awhile to figure out that everything I read involved meditation. It was common to all of it, so I started with meditation as it was, and still is, the most important mind tool to have to connect with crystals, chakras, etc. If I want to do anything of a spiritual nature, meditation is usually involved.

Thanks for reading. :smile:

ThaSpiritualBanxBro
22-06-2017, 06:26 AM
thanks for the feedback.. I really need to start meditating.. its tough now but I know it'll get better over time..

Greenslade
22-06-2017, 09:14 AM
Hello.. My name is Keishawn and I started my spiritual journey about a month ago.. I'm feeling kind of lost on where to Begin on my journey.. I hve researched about meditation, chakras, etc etc.. It would help a lot if members that are experienced on their journey could give me a little insight on how they began their journey, and the steps they took.. Thank you very much.. just need a little guidance I believe lol..Just because you haven't settled on anything in particular it doesn't mean you're lost. The Universe puts us where we need to be when we need to be there, but the human mind tends to think otherwise. The trick is working out where you are and why you need to be there. so perhaps what you're missing here is that you're not lost but you are in a place where you can learn acceptance. Being in a place of thinking you should be somewhere else isn't a good start.

There is a saying, "When the pupil is ready the teacher will come." Behind this is synchronicity and harmony between you and the Universe, of you being ready for the Journey and the Journey being ready for you. If you needed to be somewhere else you would be, but obviously you're not. Drop thinking you 'should be' and work with what is.

You have always been on your Journey, this is just a different phase.

HereAndNow
22-06-2017, 09:43 AM
Well it all begain just trying to become a better person in the physical world.. Wanting to eat better etc etc.. And that led me to finding videos about spirituality and such.. as long as I can remember I have always knew how decieving this world is and always knew it was something more than what we see with our 2 physical eyes.. I never felt attachment to religion and always believed in reincarnation.. so my curious mind started to wonder more and more after I started watching more videos of other people and them explaining what the spiritual life is what it stands for etc etc.. idk if thats the best explanation.. but I just want to know the truth.. become the greatest version of myself.. i feel like this is the journey I should be taking..

Well, it sounds like you are on the journey already. :smile: This IS journey, and figuring out what is what is an important part of the journey. If you say one of your aims is to become a better person then to figure out what "better" means for you is also a part of your journey. It may mean many different things to different people. And if for example the question of eating better/differently is important for you then there should be tons of stuff about this in internet and elsewhere.
I totally agree with Chrysalis that meditation is very important in any kind of serious spiritual path. Although I didn't like sitting meditation in the beginning at all ... and I rarely practiced it. It took me 20 years before I was finally "ready" for sitting meditation, and started to like it and to feel enthusiastic about. On the spiritual path one cannot practice things one does not like ... so you have to listen and trust to your inner feeling about what is right for you at a certain time.

Baile
22-06-2017, 10:46 AM
I never felt attachment to religion and always believed in reincarnation.

I just want to know the truth.. become the greatest version of myself.. i feel like this is the journey I should be taking..As others have said, you are well on your way already.

Things I've learned which align with your comments... Spirituality is about one thing: becoming the best person you can be. In esoteric terms it's called the path of inner moral development, the self-realization path. Also, the three truths I came to many years ago that form the entire scope of my belief system, is the reality of the eternal soul, reincarnation and karma. To study how these three are interconnected, is to answer all questions having to do with why we incarnate, and how our soul evolution ties into Spirit evolution. The answers to all the "meaning of life" questions we sometimes struggle with.

ThaSpiritualBanxBro
22-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Just because you haven't settled on anything in particular it doesn't mean you're lost. The Universe puts us where we need to be when we need to be there, but the human mind tends to think otherwise. The trick is working out where you are and why you need to be there. so perhaps what you're missing here is that you're not lost but you are in a place where you can learn acceptance. Being in a place of thinking you should be somewhere else isn't a good start.

There is a saying, "When the pupil is ready the teacher will come." Behind this is synchronicity and harmony between you and the Universe, of you being ready for the Journey and the Journey being ready for you. If you needed to be somewhere else you would be, but obviously you're not. Drop thinking you 'should be' and work with what is.

You have always been on your Journey, this is just a different phase.

Thank you forreal, that put everything into perspective!!

ThaSpiritualBanxBro
22-06-2017, 06:34 PM
Well, it sounds like you are on the journey already. :smile: This IS journey, and figuring out what is what is an important part of the journey. If you say one of your aims is to become a better person then to figure out what "better" means for you is also a part of your journey. It may mean many different things to different people. And if for example the question of eating better/differently is important for you then there should be tons of stuff about this in internet and elsewhere.
I totally agree with Chrysalis that meditation is very important in any kind of serious spiritual path. Although I didn't like sitting meditation in the beginning at all ... and I rarely practiced it. It took me 20 years before I was finally "ready" for sitting meditation, and started to like it and to feel enthusiastic about. On the spiritual path one cannot practice things one does not like ... so you have to listen and trust to your inner feeling about what is right for you at a certain time.
thank you for the feedback !

ThaSpiritualBanxBro
22-06-2017, 06:37 PM
so much wisdom and knowledge, thank you truly !!

Greenslade
23-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Thank you forreal, that put everything into perspective!!You're most welcome.

Better grab yourself some stillness time and replenish your reservoirs, because when the Universe grabs you by the scruff of the neck you'll need all stillness you can muster.:smile: