PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing happened...

BikinAround
20-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi guys. :smile:

Something happened to me recently that really got me thinking. I am a great advocate of positive attraction – believing that positivity, good deeds and charity are rewarded back to those who express and give them. If you have time, I’d like you to read my story and pass comment on it. I enjoy hearing opinions all perspectives and I’m in no way bigoted or dismissive of any opinion as to what “forces”, if any, were apparent.

I’m a keen cyclist, and I often plan 20-30 mile routes to ride around the locality where I live. On this particular occasion I had planned a 20-mile circuit that took me out of my town and into rural parts of the surrounding countryside.

I set off mid-morning, the sun was shining and it looked to be a great day for cycling. All was going great up until about halfway through the circuit, when upon descending a hill, my front inner-tube suddenly blew out. I rolled to a halt and dismounted. I glanced down at my GPS unit and found I was now faced with the prospect of an eleven mile walk back home, as foolishly I had set out on the ride without a spare tube.

As a started to walk the bike up the other side of the hill, I consciously decided to glean any positivity I could from the situation I was now in; I thought, “I didn’t come off at speed; the bike is fine and only the cheapest component needs replacing; I’m uninjured and the sun is still shining!”

Walking in my SPDs, I passed a few people as I made my way along the country lanes, trying to keep positive and not get sucked into a spiral of resentment and anger. I kept thinking things like I had a good ten mile ride and now I could finish with a nice eleven mile walk, and other thoughts like, “the weather’s good” and “I’ll look back at this and laugh”.

I continued walking until I approached a bend in a lane where I noticed a middle-aged man was pruning blackthorn at the bottom of his driveway. He glanced up at me and asked if everything was okay. I told him what had happened and he unexpectedly said, “come round to my shed and let’s see if we can get your wheel sorted”. I was surprised – in a good way – and followed him up the drive. He unlocked his garage and went in. Before long he reappeared with a track pump, an inner tube for a 700cc wheel, tire levers and a puncture repair kit. I couldn’t believe it.

I chatted away as I fitted the new tube and found out the guy was not only a fellow cycle tourer, but lead cycling proficiency tests for local school children! I had a good chat with him and thanked him profusely before setting off home – with a new inner tube and a great feeling inside as I made the return journey back to my house.

I would love to hear individual perspectives about what happened to me; was it karma, or God, positive attraction or just pure coincidence? The whole day played out like a parable, with an almost allegorical meaning to it. Or am I reading too much into it?

Thanks for taking the time to read and I look forward to your comments.

Dan

Medium_Laura
20-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Dan, that is so awesome! I too follow the path of positive thinking! :) Mine is not as wonderfully written as yours but I do have my own story.

I had just finished a podcast on runner guides and the importance of them in our lives when I set out for a long walk to the store.

Look, I was out of smokes.. yes I’ll admit it.. I have a few vices.. Pepsi, Smokes.. oh and chocolate..

Born and raised a city girl, I have never been more than a few blocks from a gas station or a store, and recently made a move to rural Virginia, turned in my lease car and decided to work from home. It is a beautiful 60 degree day and the store.. well its about 3 miles up some beautiful hills.

I packed up my ipod, a water bottle and some crackers just incase of emergency! hehe

The exercise was much needed and I made it about 1/4 of a mile when I saw this lovely female hawk. She flew down and landed just before me in a small tree. Hawks are my totem animal and when I see one, I must ask for the message they bring.

Loud and clear I heard "GO HOME".

I raised my eyebrow and said in my head.. "Are you JOKING? It’s not THAT far, I can make it."

As if to confirm this message, three large black ravens flew over head cawing loudly.

"Ok.. so go home huh?" I turned back slowly and a little disappointed that my message was very much a rejection to what I thought would be a great feat for a lazy city girl.

Rounding the next turn I saw her again, she flew high over this time and landed in a tree way off to my right. "Go home?" I questioned her again. She sat… moving only her head. I bowed mine and kept up the slow pace down my street.

Really, this was a beautiful outing and I was taken aback by the lovely wildlife around me. A small brook, some mice and rabbits; everyone happily enjoying the sun today.

Looking up I saw my neighbor’s van. I smiled and waved. She pulled over and asked me "What you up to?" I explained I was headed to the store but decided to turn back. (no I wasn’t going to say.. this hawk said go home…) "I’ll give you a lift." she smiled.

Wow.. um ok yeah excellent!! Now.. had I not listened to my runner guides or my totem hawk, I would have proudly braved on and not seen my neighbor.

That message to "Go Home" was as the right time to meet her and get a much needed ride. Trust your animals, Trust your guides..

They know more than you do!

GSX-R girl
20-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Hi Dan

I think that the universe was rewarding you for putting such a

positive spin on what you could easily have made into a nightmare situation.

I was giving a driving lesson last year - my learner hit the kerb and the

tyre exploded before I could start to think about what to do a man

appeared from no-where ,offered to change it and had the job done so

quickly I could hardly believe it was happening:smile:

Enya
20-02-2011, 09:29 PM
You had a wonderful day... you were honestly grateful for all that happened and you were rewarded with a 'saviour'. Give it whatever meaning seems to fit... but remember to say thank you! :wink:

BikinAround
21-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for your replies!

I too believe that the universe grants positives to those who wish for them. An old friend of mine once said, "in life, good people attract that which is good". I've always held onto that belief and experiences like the one I have written about here confirm it.

I don't subscribe to a dogmatic set of beliefs, but rather try and live my life by remaining happy and thankful, and I find this attitude tends to rub off on others around me. :smile:

Favourite Son
21-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Keep up your current way of thinking is the message I would take from that Bikin!
Your way of thinking is how we should be although not always as easy as it sounds. It is easy to fall into bad thought processes, so be wary and remember what happened today

I had probably an opposite of that today!
I was working outdoors and a storm came through with lightning. I joked with a workmate that I wasn't worried as God wouldn't strike me down.
Several hours later I was making a dash to my car in a now intensified storm and this lightning bolt felt and looked like it cracked directly above my head! I actually saw a spark type effect about 10ft above my head! It set off the car alarm of the car right next to me!
Got the adrenalin pumping I can tell you!

Your post helps me make sense of that so thank you!

LadyVirgoxoxo
21-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Wow everyone's stories are amazing! I too follow the positive thinking route, just started it this year, and I am now a much happier, positive person. I absolutely love life now! I hope I get a positive experience like the stories here very soon!

BikinAround
21-02-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm glad some of you have been inspired by what happened to me. My flatmate is a great believer in the "law of positive attraction" and we often find each other wowing each other with stories such as mine!

I think it's important to always be receptive to positivity, allowing yourself in turn to become a conduit or "node" for others.

blackfellawhitefella
21-02-2011, 08:24 PM
:hug3:

good efforts everyone

holding the space ... thats what our task is

through us , not of us