PDA

View Full Version : "The obstacle is the path"

Moonglow
06-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Hello,

Came across
"The obstacle is the path"

This strikes a chord in me. Not only does it relate to my current state of change in life, but also what life has given me.

My greatest teacher has been life and the changes and shifts that have and continue to take place.

May view an obstacle as a barrier or a block in the path. May see it as an opportunity to change course and discover new ways to travel.

For me has been both, but what has arisen from this is finding ways to cope and learn from these.

Not always easy and not a given, but the way(s) are there.
Never fully know what life may bring. It is how one lives it that may determine whether the obstacles be barriers or opportunities in life.

Some thoughts on this

What are the thoughts/ insight you all may have?

FallingLeaves
07-05-2017, 01:12 AM
Hello,

Came across
"The obstacle is the path"

This strikes a chord in me. Not only does it relate to my current state of change in life, but also what life has given me.

My greatest teacher has been life and the changes and shifts that have and continue to take place.

May view an obstacle as a barrier or a block in the path. May see it as an opportunity to change course and discover new ways to travel.

For me has been both, but what has arisen from this is finding ways to cope and learn from these.

Never fully know what life may bring. It is how one lives it that may determine whether the obstacles be barriers or opportunities in life.

Some thoughts on this

What are the thoughts/ insight you all may have?

my immediate thoughts:

a lot depends on how you choose to relate to whatever shows up... and it is not true that there is one specific way of relating that works for everything. The 'one true path' idea is a myth no matter which path you are on...

Moonglow
07-05-2017, 02:11 AM
my immediate thoughts:

a lot depends on how you choose to relate to whatever shows up... and it is not true that there is one specific way of relating that works for everything. The 'one true path' idea is a myth no matter which path you are on...

Hi FallingLeaves,

Can agree depends how one relates to what shows up.

Curious though; Did you feel that there is only one specific way being implied?
For find that there are many ways, some may work for me and not for you, and visa versa.

I don't follow the One true path" idea.

What occurs to me is that at times what may appear to be an obstacle may be something that needs to be worked through. This can take time and if it is something that can not be resolved, then perhaps finding a different route to take. Whether it be in my thinking or in working through a situation.

Do you feel you are on a path? Whether it be just living life?

FallingLeaves
07-05-2017, 02:45 AM
Hi FallingLeaves,

Can agree depends how one relates to what shows up.

Curious though; Did you feel that there is only one specific way being implied?
For find that there are many ways, some may work for me and not for you, and visa versa.

I don't follow the One true path" idea.

What occurs to me is that at times what may appear to be an obstacle may be something that needs to be worked through. This can take time and if it is something that can not be resolved, then perhaps finding a different route to take. Whether it be in my thinking or in working through a situation.

Do you feel you are on a path? Whether it be just living life?

hi moonglow,

no I was just saying what came to mind, I realized at the time it wasn't 100% related to what you said and probably also didn't reflect your own thinking but it seemed ok to say it anyway... sometimes I just say stuff even if it doesn't seem to make sense :smile:

I never really used to just stop at obstacles, there is always some path somewhere and I was exploring jsut everything for a long time. But lately I've realized, some of the things you get when you pass certain obstacles aren't worth the work it takes to pass them. So I use some of them as markers as to where not to go. Kinda like willingly staying inside the fences rather than face the combination of passing the fence then facing what is outside it :smile:. But it really does depend on who hits an obstacle and where they are in their life as to whether they will find the obstacle worth attempting, or like what they find on the other side.

I suppose I'm always on some path or other but I don't really think about it sigh...

Miss Hepburn
07-05-2017, 02:53 AM
Interesting sentence.
For me the obstacle in not the path...it is an opportunity, tho...
and a sign post of where you are.
:glasses9:

Bohdiyana
07-05-2017, 03:04 AM
Compare these two statements:

#1 One should seek enlightenment with all of their being, never giving up until one reaches the goal.

verses this....

#2. One cannot get enlightenment by seeking it, it comes to those who are worthy of it.

Big difference? #1 creates conflict in a person, desire, self judgement, lots of bad stuff. #2 is calming and seems like it takes a weight off your shoulders.

#1 is spiritual materialism, it might as well be seeking a million dollars or a new shiny sports car, it is wholly self centered with no concern for anybody except yourself. #1 says nothing about how one should act or be, just to have a lot of desire for something you don't presently have. #2 makes you self reflect on what kind of person you are etc

There's that one saying, the path is the goal, or where we are is more important than where we are going, or we are already at the end, we just don't see it or accept it.

Really inner and outer peace is a gift we give ourselves. Calm relaxed states of being as well. Kindness, unconditional love, forgiveness, all of this is done by us now or not. It's just choices we make as we go about our day. We know how to be kind, how to relax, etc. But then if your path is just to make an effort to have no conflict within or without and to be kind and love everybody, well then this path has no obstacles because you are already where you are going. It's not like there is some imagined end goal. Well being a good person yes, but the only place that can happen is now.

A path can be an obstacle, by creating conflict, or judgement, or vanity, or self centeredness, and on and on. Lot's of ways it can be an obstacle. Just need a "path" that doesn't do these things.

FallingLeaves
07-05-2017, 03:09 AM

#2. One cannot get enlightenment by seeking it, it comes to those who are worthy of it.

#2 doesn't work either, because most people won't be found worthy.

Thanks for playing!

Moonglow
07-05-2017, 03:10 AM
hi moonglow,

no I was just saying what came to mind, I realized at the time it wasn't 100% related to what you said and probably also didn't reflect your own thinking but it seemed ok to say it anyway... sometimes I just say stuff even if it doesn't seem to make sense :smile:

I never really used to just stop at obstacles, there is always some path somewhere and I was exploring jsut everything for a long time. But lately I've realized, some of the things you get when you pass certain obstacles aren't worth the work it takes to pass them. So I use some of them as markers as to where not to go. Kinda like willingly staying inside the fences rather than face the combination of passing the fence then facing what is outside it :smile:. But it really does depend on who hits an obstacle and where they are in their life as to whether they will find the obstacle worth attempting, or like what they find on the other side.

I suppose I'm always on some path or other but I don't really think about it sigh...

Just found it couriosi and it's cool. For I did ask what you thought.:smile:

Yes, there are things that are simply not worth the bother. Then there are other things which may need to be done. As painful or annoying it may seem at the time, in hindsight can be worth the effort.

Yes, can understand that it may depend where one is in life or is even willing to work through or around it.

Sometimes it is outside and sometimes it is inside. But it occurs to me how I deal with it or not can create the direction taken or where the path may go.:smile:

Thank you for clarifying and your thoughts.

Moonglow
07-05-2017, 03:14 AM
Interesting sentence.
For me the obstacle in not the path...it is an opportunity, tho...
and a sign post of where you are.
:glasses9:

Hi Miss Hepburn,

I like this.

Yes, obstacles can be opportunities and for me further create the path one may travel.

Yes, sign posts along the way.

Thank you for your thoughts

Moonglow
07-05-2017, 03:31 AM

#1 One should seek enlightenment with all of their being, never giving up until one reaches the goal.

verses this....

Big difference? #1 creates conflict in a person, desire, self judgement, lots of bad stuff. #2 is calming and seems like it takes a weight off your shoulders.

#1 is spiritual materialism, it might as well be seeking a million dollars or a new shiny sports car, it is wholly self centered with no concern for anybody except yourself. #1 says nothing about how one should act or be, just to have a lot of desire for something you don't presently have. #2 makes you self reflect on what kind of person you are etc

There's that one saying, the path is the goal, or where we are is more important than where we are going, or we are already at the end, we just don't see it or accept it.

Really inner and outer peace is a gift we give ourselves. Calm relaxed states of being as well. Kindness, unconditional love, forgiveness, all of this is done by us now or not. It's just choices we make as we go about our day. We know how to be kind, how to relax, etc. But then if your path is just to make an effort to have no conflict within or without and to be kind and love everybody, well then this path has no obstacles because you are already where you are going. It's not like there is some imagined end goal. Well being a good person yes, but the only place that can happen is now.

A path can be an obstacle, by creating conflict, or judgement, or vanity, or self centeredness, and on and on. Lot's of ways it can be an obstacle. Just need a "path" that doesn't do these things.

Hi Bohdyana,

Can agree that if one desires change then now is the time for change.
Meaning it is not out there or in the future, but can be right here and now.

But what can bring one to realize this with in oneself?

If one has not known discontent or other "obstacles" then how can one know contentment or peace?

Does an obstacle have to create something negative? Could it be something that arises in life to show one another way or help overcome something?

Once it is dealt with or faced can bring a feeling of relief or no longer standing in the way. Whether this be in the thinking or day to day interactions.

I agree, to be kind and at peace is the better way and in this less conflict occurs
What has helped teach me this have been the obstacles that arose in life.

Yes, choice is there and in these can determine what path may be taken.

I heard something years ago; it is not so much the destination as it is the journey.

Just some thoughts you bring to me.

Thank you for your thoughts

Bohdiyana
07-05-2017, 06:18 AM
#2 doesn't work either, because most people won't be found worthy.

Thanks for playing!

That word "found" you used implies an outside source of judgement. To me it has absolutely nothing to do with judging or a judgement or an outside force. It is completely about our choices. Now our choices are determined by what options for a choice we are aware of in any given moment... so yea much more to this than it appears.

To me, every single being that exists already has it. Everyone has been found worthy in the sense of having it of not. So the question is why are we not conscious of it then? Why don't we realize we have it? Why are it's effects not experienced or manifested? Well because we are not what we think we are. That's why!

That leads to a new question. Why don't we know what we are? That question results in a very long answer. The short answer is because of our role in creation. That role requires us to be very skilled in certain things and this "forgetting" exists to hone those skills our creator wants us to have.

Bohdiyana
07-05-2017, 06:40 AM
Does an obstacle have to create something negative? Could it be something that arises in life to show one another way or help overcome something?

Your question was rhetorical so you already answered it very nicely in your post pointing out some nice observations and truths. When I think about that subject, I seem to always go back to a silly simple example of suffering and learning and awareness. My example is say you walk along a certain path everyday and everyday you hit your head on a low tree branch that cuts across the path. Eventually, after getting your head hit enough times, you learn to notice it and duck. So the obstacle or suffering or conflict, whatever form that takes, eventually makes you become aware of something new. So one grows in awareness from suffering or obstacles or whatever. That's how I see it as a positive. The "path" is about becoming aware of more. Expanding on that a little, when you are aware of more, more choices become available and are seen. When more choices are seen, we can choose different ones. Making different choices changes what we are and experience.

Moonglow
07-05-2017, 07:42 PM
Your question was rhetorical so you already answered it very nicely in your post pointing out some nice observations and truths. When I think about that subject, I seem to always go back to a silly simple example of suffering and learning and awareness. My example is say you walk along a certain path everyday and everyday you hit your head on a low tree branch that cuts across the path. Eventually, after getting your head hit enough times, you learn to notice it and duck. So the obstacle or suffering or conflict, whatever form that takes, eventually makes you become aware of something new. So one grows in awareness from suffering or obstacles or whatever. That's how I see it as a positive. The "path" is about becoming aware of more. Expanding on that a little, when you are aware of more, more choices become available and are seen. When more choices are seen, we can choose different ones. Making different choices changes what we are and experience.

Can agree that choices made can change how one experiences something at times.

As far as choice would say can be an after thought, so to speak. Choosing whether to respond, react, ignore, or change, or not.

Can relate obstacles can bring about awareness, if one is able or willing to become aware. Some things that arise in life are not by choice, as I see it.
Like a natural disaster destroying a home.

In this go back to how one responds and/or reacts. Which can create a way to rebuild and become aware of support one was not aware was there. It was not by choice, but by the compassion felt from another to help.

The disaster turns into opening another to help and one to be aware that people care and possibly go and help others.

The obstacle arising opens the path to new awareness and change. Sometimes by choice and sometimes by it simply happening and then possibly the choices made gives direction as to how one may travel through life.

Thank you

Moonglow
08-05-2017, 02:06 AM
Hello,

Some further thoughts.

The Obstacle is what I may create with in myself. The journey is mine.
Through separation felt and/or experienced realization can arise.
For knowing separation can help becoming aware of union with self and all.

If this be a journey of the self, then it is through the self obstacles may form.
Becoming aware of the obstacles seem to form the path traveled.

Where the path may lead may not be noticed if not for the obstacles.

The mind may see a block and give up or fruitlessly bang against it trying to control and overcome it. Never taking the moment to understand why it is there in the first place.

To bring attention to one. Perhaps where one is stuck or being stubborn.
Not to be cursed but to be seen as of the path.
Sometimes the going is smooth, other times may take a little care and creating other ways.

Sometimes may be showing one side so that the other side may be understood.
In this finding unity with in oneself.

For life contains both individuality and union. To understand both is to me to be truly aware.

FallingLeaves
08-05-2017, 02:30 AM
Hello,

Some further thoughts.

The Obstacle is what I may create with in myself. The journey is mine.
Through separation felt and/or experienced realization can arise.
For knowing separation can help becoming aware of union with self and all.

If this be a journey of the self, then it is through the self obstacles may form.
Becoming aware of the obstacles seem to form the path traveled.

Where the path may lead may not be noticed if not for the obstacles.

The mind may see a block and give up or fruitlessly bang against it trying to control and overcome it. Never taking the moment to understand why it is there in the first place.

To bring attention to one. Perhaps where one is stuck or being stubborn.
Not to be cursed but to be seen as of the path.
Sometimes the going is smooth, other times may take a little care and creating other ways.

Sometimes may be showing one side so that the other side may be understood.
In this finding unity with in oneself.

For life contains both individuality and union. To understand both is to me to be truly aware.

I guess if it weren't for obstacles we would jsut stop... the fact of them seems to be what keeps us going...

banging one's head on an obstacle, I agree, does not solve the problem posed by the obstacle... and yet sometimes, one needs to have a long period of banging one's head on an obstacle, before one is ready to realize 'this just isn't working'.

I also think, that just because on obstacle exists, that does not imply a contract that I have to fulfill to try to get around it or learn its lesson or whatever else I think I should want from it this week.

Moonglow
09-05-2017, 12:40 AM
I guess if it weren't for obstacles we would jsut stop... the fact of them seems to be what keeps us going...

banging one's head on an obstacle, I agree, does not solve the problem posed by the obstacle... and yet sometimes, one needs to have a long period of banging one's head on an obstacle, before one is ready to realize 'this just isn't working'.

I also think, that just because on obstacle exists, that does not imply a contract that I have to fulfill to try to get around it or learn its lesson or whatever else I think I should want from it this week.

True, nothing is written in stone ( so to speak) as to how or even if one "has to" deal with what may come along or get anything out of it.

Doesn't it feel good though when it is worked through or no longer there?

Not offering an easy fix or solution, for it is up to each individual as to what the "obstacle" may or may not represent or be, IMO.

Yes, can take time figuring out just what to do or where to go. Atleast for me at times.

For me it is and has been whether to drag the obstacle around in my thinking or to have it stall me to go further. At times also realizing there is nothing I can do about it anyways, so just let it go for the time being.

It is in a way sorting through how much is created by me and how much is being placed there by other factors. Working through these as needed and giving myself the permission to also just let it be for the moment.

Through this whether with focus or just through the interactions something does seem to get learned or adapted to.

Greenslade
09-05-2017, 09:43 AM
I guess if it weren't for obstacles we would jsut stop... the fact of them seems to be what keeps us going...Sometimes we live for them

banging one's head on an obstacle, I agree, does not solve the problem posed by the obstacle... and yet sometimes, one needs to have a long period of banging one's head on an obstacle, before one is ready to realize 'this just isn't working'.It also feels great when you stop, and you realise why you did it in the first place.

I also think, that just because on obstacle exists, that does not imply a contract that I have to fulfill to try to get around it or learn its lesson or whatever else I think I should want from it this week.I sometimes go quad-biking, bring on the obstacles because they make the experience.

Greenslade
09-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Never fully know what life may bring. It is how one lives it that may determine whether the obstacles be barriers or opportunities in life.And therein lies the wisdom after adding in a touch of discernment.

Moonglow
09-05-2017, 01:10 PM
And therein lies the wisdom after adding in a touch of discernment.

Hi Greenslade,

Thank you for the kind words.

Was just thinking
The greatest stories are created by the obstacles experienced and faced with.

LadyMay
11-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Reminds me of the NLP saying "the map is not the territory"