PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lamps ?

JessicaVibes91
24-04-2017, 06:59 AM
Hi,

A friend was recently recommended to buy a salt lamp to get rid of her breathing difficulties, particularly when she sleeps at night. Just wanted to know if anybody else has experienced it too? Do salt lamps really work?

PS: I know its not directly related to aromatherapy but this is the closest i could think of.

Snow Goose
24-04-2017, 08:10 PM
I have salt lamps because I like how they look and they give off a warm glow. Health wise I'm not sold on the benefits. I moved beside the sea a couple of years ago and definitely see a benefit, why not suggest your friend spends more time at the beach instead.

RedEmbers
26-04-2017, 07:06 AM
Be careful of which salt lamp you buy as many have been recalled as they weren't earthed properly and were catching alight.

Also in areas of high humidity the metal elements in the lamps tend to rust leaving them usess as lamps.
The light is meant to be kept on at all times in humid conditions otherwise the metal reacts with the salt and both the metal and the salt starts to corrode.

Be aware of these factors when shopping around and hopefully you will find a safe product.

naturesflow
26-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Be careful of which salt lamp you buy as many have been recalled as they weren't earthed properly and were catching alight.

Also in areas of high humidity the metal elements in the lamps tend to rust leaving them usess as lamps.
The light is meant to be kept on at all times in humid conditions otherwise the metal reacts with the salt and both the metal and the salt starts to corrode.

Be aware of these factors when shopping around and hopefully you will find a safe product.

Which ones have been recalled RedEmbers. Just curious as I have lots here in my home.

RedEmbers
26-04-2017, 09:10 AM
https://www.google.com.au/amp/hellogiggles.com/himalayan-rock-salt-lamp-recall/amp/

"Lumiere" is the brand name of 3 different styles of lamp which were recalled.

My sister had one with a wooden base in her home. She didn't realise that it needs to be on 24/7 to stop the metal component from rusting in our high humidity temperature. Apparently the salt collects water in humid environments which is not a good mix with metal and electricity.

She inquired about it at the health food shop and they informed her of the issues associated with some salt lamps.

Native spirit
26-04-2017, 08:49 PM
I bought one when my daughter had a lot of work on in uni.it really helped her

Namaste

Tobi
27-04-2017, 01:15 AM

I found the same thing. There is prety much humidity all the time where I live (England) Though the salt lamp definitely cast a particular pleasant positive energy (while it worked!) But once the salt starts to 'weep' and the parts rust, there is no mending it.
The only solution might be to dismantle the lamp and create a niche by carving it, to hold a tea light or some candle.
But I found I always had to have the lamp on a ceramic dish as so much moisture came from it and condensed.

RedEmbers
27-04-2017, 03:48 AM
I was checking out some products online some lamps have a section of salt carved out for a candle rather than using a light bulb.

Wow... no wonder my sis was having issues... we live in a sub-tropical climate where temps reach a hot and humid 44 °C in Summer!

I have heard that if you keep them on constantly they will be ok... but I'm not sure as there is just way too much moisture in the air where I live.

Maybe keep the salt componant in the fridge over the humid seasons and only use it during the dry seasons?

It sounds as though humidity is the main issue with these lamps as the salt collects the moisture in the air.

JessicaVibes91
27-04-2017, 05:24 AM
The tip about salt collecting moisture is really helpful. Thank you so much guys!

So what did you guys get it for? Some medical reasons or just because of the way they looked? just wondering if salt lamps have a better use besides cleansing the air.

dream jo
19-11-2017, 12:35 AM
all i no iv try vapr rub vics or obrs or wot dr igivs me

BigJohn
17-09-2018, 02:34 PM
I think we are talking about two different items.

The salt lamps I am familiar with produce good ions and are made of only Himalayan Salt.

Selena Wishes
13-11-2018, 02:00 AM
I purchased a himalayan salt lamp many years ago. I read up on the benefits of having one, and I was most interested in:

* balancing electromagnetic radiation
* cleansing/purifying the air
* raising energy levels
* promoting an overall better mood

I didn't see any immediate changes, and I am a pretty impatient person lol, so I stopped using it. I just found it again and plugged it in. I've been sneezing a lot and on the verge of catching a cold. The salt lamp is also supposed to be good for that too. I'm going to give it another try...thanks so much for the post and reminding me to give it a fair try.

Native spirit
13-11-2018, 01:14 PM
The himalayan salt lamp I bought for my daughters still gets used regularly my daughter finds it soothing when she is doing college work

Namaste

Chrysalis
13-11-2018, 06:26 PM
Years ago, I bought a small Himalayan rock salt lamp for work which I placed as close as I could to where I sat. Soon as I got to my work area, I turned it on then off before going home. When the lamp heats up the salt, it releases negative ions which are beneficial to our health. From the constant use, I felt more energetic and breathed better.

If you go into a forest, you can experience the negative ions as trees also release those. If you aren't near a forest, then a well planted area can work too.

Lepus
13-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Hello

I bought one after the last one stopped working. The lightbulb wasn't turning on and the lamp was collecting dust. There were dark spots whenever I had my lamp turned on. Turns out I could've remove the dark spots by using a damp cloth while it was turned off. But it was too late. I've recycled the lamp in a thrift store.

After purchasing another salt lamp it came with a missing lightbulb so I went to check if they were sold separately. And they are sold seperately in the same department where I got the salt lamp. The lightbulbs came in two so I went on with the purchase. Thereafter, I inserted the lightbulb into the salt lamp but the effects of the himalaya salt lamp didn't generate any negative ions unlike the previous one I've owned. So I just have it set in my bedroom as an ornament. But I will say the effects of the lamp does work. I might puchase another one for that purpose.

Lepus

Chrysalis
14-11-2018, 06:04 PM
What some people do with an unwanted lamp is to put it in the shower or bath. It eventually dissolves and you still get the benefits. If the lamp is too big, you can break it up in chunks.

Lepus
14-11-2018, 09:21 PM
Hi Chrysalis

Great idea! I might try this with my Himalayan rock salt candle holder I don't use.

Lepus

lemonbunny
26-08-2019, 06:47 PM
I had no idea you were supposed to leave the lamp on 24/7.

Maybe that was in the directions I didn't read.... ?

That being said, we have 3 Himalayan salt lamps in our house and I can't honestly say I've noticed a difference. Perhaps this is where using it 24/7 comes into play?

We did have one that quit working, so I removed the base/light, and now have a huge hunk of Himalayan salt sitting on my fireplace mantle--instant décor! I know there is a place where I can purchase another base/light from for $5, but I think I'm just going to leave the hunk of salt right where it's at.

BigJohn
29-08-2019, 10:04 PM
Some of the Himalayan Salt lamps use LEDs. The LEDs do not produce enough heat to produce the negative ions.

Chrysalis
30-08-2019, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure how long a lamp is to stay on. I never had one run 24/7.

Hawaiian Dreams
13-09-2019, 09:16 PM
I have three in my room and run them 24/7. I don't know if I feel any of the ions or anything. Once in a while, a ghost will help me turn one, two, or all three off.

Lepus
14-09-2019, 07:52 AM
Hello

I'd leave mine on 24/7. However, I've noticed the effects of it doesn't seem to apply. Strange.

Lepus

BigJohn
14-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Hello

I'd leave mine on 24/7. However, I've noticed the effects of it doesn't seem to apply. Strange.

Lepus
Is the light an LED?

Chrysalis
14-09-2019, 05:28 PM
Right, the lamp is supposed to have a normal light, the type that a fridge might use. That kind of light bulb heats up the rock salt to release the negative ions. I also have a huge rock salt lamp but it's really too big for the little light to heat it up. Smaller lamps heat up a lot easier.

Lepus
16-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Hello

Mine didn't come with a light bulb when I purchased my salt lamp. So I had to buy them seperately, which I did. The ligh bulbs came in two. However, I'm not entirely sure if they are LED lights. The light bulbs are small like the fridges use. And it does heat up my salt lamp.

Lepus

BigJohn
16-09-2019, 04:06 PM
Sounds like you have a regular bulb.

Another reason why you might not be experiencing and feeling the ion effect of the lamp might be due to your heating/cooling system. Your heating/cooling system might be doing such a good job that the effects of the lamp might be getting distributed thru out your home instead of staying in one area.

Aglaya
24-10-2019, 08:08 AM
I don't buy salt lamps. I bake salt on the hot plate instead...10-15 minutes are enough... until salt crystals start jumping (I use sea salt, and I stir it from time to time). It gives amazing results when it comes to prevention of all sorts of infection in our household (it is very important because of my husband's health condition). And this short procedure makes the air at home so fresh and clean...it smells of serenity. I also use salt baking after visits of negative people or after interaction with them. It immediately removes low and heavy energies, remaining after them.
I just wanted to share my experience, and I have nothing against salt lamps.

BigJohn
31-10-2019, 05:46 AM
I don't buy salt lamps. I bake salt on the hot plate instead...10-15 minutes are enough... until salt crystals start jumping (I use sea salt, and I stir it from time to time). It gives amazing results when it comes to prevention of all sorts of infection in our household (it is very important because of my husband's health condition). And this short procedure makes the air at home so fresh and clean...it smells of serenity. I also use salt baking after visits of negative people or after interaction with them. It immediately removes low and heavy energies, remaining after them.
I just wanted to share my experience, and I have nothing against salt lamps.
Thanks for sharing.

I have some salt lamps that turned white.

I suspect it might have something to do with low humidity, but then.......