PDA

View Full Version : How can you prove the existence of God?

supernova
17-02-2011, 02:48 PM
I cannot disprove it either and no scientific theories can say there is no power. Science is rooted in understanding physical phenomena and how it rains, what causes the solar eclipse and how we can eradicate epidemics and the like.

The existence of God is rooted in our belief and not in our evidence. We lack proofs if we seek for them.

If anybody has realized the existence of God one cannot text it with words and sentences.

The evidence of the existence of God found in books of theology is one of the reasons that pillars our belief. Beyond that there is nothing to prove the existence of God.

Yet devotees have different things to say

Dilchannan
17-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Proof or no proof is needed. Open your eyes and you will see God Everywhere...

jmho

Peace

supernova
17-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Proof or no proof is needed. Open your eyes and you will see God Everywhere...

jmho

Peace

I see everywhere nature and how can I say it is God.

You are engineered to believe in God.

jiraiyaNOmonogatari
17-02-2011, 03:21 PM
How do you think we came to exist supernova?

supernova
17-02-2011, 03:26 PM
How do you think we came to exist supernova?

That is question that is always intriguing me!

Sungirl
17-02-2011, 03:57 PM
why do you need to prove the existance?

To quote Douglas Adams

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

For me faith is enough.

supernova
17-02-2011, 04:05 PM
why do you need to prove the existance?

To quote Douglas Adams

For me faith is enough.

Faith is the shakiest pillar

Spiritlite
17-02-2011, 04:12 PM
The feeling of love and acceptance and forgiveness when I pray to God/Godess.
Spiritlite.

supernova
17-02-2011, 04:16 PM
These are the ideals we vainly idealize but in reality who are selfish beings.

We want God for our pride and self gratification

We do not want humanity since it does not intoxicate our minds they way God does

jiraiyaNOmonogatari
17-02-2011, 04:20 PM
That is question that is always intriguing me!

lol...well the way I see it there are two scenarios, either it was all a huge cosmic coincidence or someone created us.

An example on the first possibility: If you open your note pad and start
typing randomly for say...and hour, what are the odds that between all the
meaningless sentences a poetry is written?
If you gather a pile of woods and nails and throw it in flowing river, what
are the odds that they strap them selves together and make a raft?:tongue:

I think the latter is more logical, wouldn't you agree?:smile:

Shabda
17-02-2011, 04:25 PM
why do you judge everyone's answer? why do you not seek the proof for yourself, the experience of God?

supernova
17-02-2011, 04:25 PM
lol...well the way I see it there are two scenarios, either it was all a huge cosmic coincidence or someone created us.

An example on the first possibility: If you open your note pad and start
typing randomly for say...and hour, what are the odds that between all the
meaningless sentences a poetry is written?
If you gather a pile of woods and nails and throw it in flowing river, what
are the odds that they strap them selves together and make a raft?:tongue:

I think the latter is more logical, wouldn't you agree?:smile:

You are a wonderful fabricator. This is exactly how some of our priestly people advocated.

I do not see such anticipations.

This is something wanting evidence

Shabda
17-02-2011, 04:31 PM
You are a wonderful fabricator. This is exactly how some of our priestly people advocated.

no it isnt, it is you that wants evidence...get off the forum and go find some, i mean really, youre in a place of words, and youve already stated that if it can be expressed in words, it isnt God, so what is this? a trap to put down others for attempting to answer your question? think about it...

jiraiyaNOmonogatari
17-02-2011, 06:39 PM

Alright...what do you see...you must have a certain conception, right?

no it isnt, it is you that wants evidence...get off the forum and go find some, i mean really, youre in a place of words, and youve already stated that if it can be expressed in words, it isnt God, so what is this? a trap to put down others for attempting to answer your question? think about it...

lol Shabda I don't think that's his intention.

Shabda
17-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Alright...what do you see...you must have a certain conception, right?

lol Shabda I don't think that's his intention.
still, he contradicts himself...

onlyme2
17-02-2011, 07:16 PM
ok how can we prove we have a soul ? perhaps this is a good starting point much closer to home at least perhaps u would say find scientific explinations for why you do the things you do and the way you feel but it would be a bit lacking in feeling without faith as beleiving completely on faith alone makes things a bit hopeless. we need proof to stop us feeling insane and we need faith to let us be what we beleive we are and can be

jiraiyaNOmonogatari
17-02-2011, 07:37 PM
The soul is something immaterial, it is like asking for proof that we have intellect, you can't touch it or see it but you know you have intellect because you can count numbers, memorize words and think, the same applies on the soul, we know it's there because when a person dies they become an empty vessel, just flesh and bone, so what is it that keeps this vessel alive? if you say the heart...well what is it that keeps the heart beating? there must be something..or else it will defy the first basic cosmic law, it is that effects always have causes.

onlyme2
17-02-2011, 07:39 PM
exactly we can prove it in some ways its just hard to measure

jiraiyaNOmonogatari
17-02-2011, 08:00 PM
well.....what's the point of having faith if you have proof?

Neville
17-02-2011, 08:23 PM
If God is Creation, then the existence of God is plain for all to see ergo Nothing to prove :smile:

Sungirl
17-02-2011, 10:39 PM
proof is subjective. For me there is proof of Spirit's existence everywhere, there is proof of divine guidance and of perfect timing but that is only because I am open to it's existence and have faith.

People say when you look up at night what you see are stars. We are told that they are a long way off and that they are balls of fire... but I have never seen one first hand so I have to believe someone when they tell me that. It could be a big black cloth with holes in and a bright light behind it... it is my faith in the people that tell me, and that they are telling me the truth that makes me believe that they are stars.

It is my belief in my own experiences and interpretations of things that happen around me that tell me of the existence of Spirit. So to me it's easier to believe in that than the existence of balls of fire a long way off.

Hope that made as much sense to you guys as it did to me when it was in my head....

Dilchannan
17-02-2011, 11:11 PM
If God is Creation, then the existence of God is plain for all to see ergo Nothing to prove :smile:

Exactly my point earlier in the thread :D

Blaze
18-02-2011, 09:40 AM
The best way to prove the existence of God is when you don't try to prove its existence. Cause whatever God is it is beyond our words of descriptions or either fields of knowledge. God has always been there and will always be there.

All kinds of humans from different parts of the world, even before they know about each other, believed in a higher power. All of 'em could not be wrong you know.

themaster
18-02-2011, 11:01 AM
How can you prove the existence of God?

I'll just call him on the telephone and have him fax his dna right over.. :D

athribiristan
18-02-2011, 12:51 PM
While almost noone can agree on the nature of God, his existence is easy to prove. We live in the physical universe. Based on our knowledge we can safely assume that the universe had a beginning at some point. We have also commonly accepted that the beginning of the universe had a cause. Again, few people agree about the nature of that cause but it is generally accepted as fact.

Now most of us have a name for this cause, but few of us agree on it. God will work. Some call it the Big Bang, or Source, or what have you, but the idea is still the same. At some point there was a cause for all of this, call it whatever you want.

Lightspirit
18-02-2011, 01:12 PM
I think in our modern times we have become brainwashed with science to the detriment of listening to our spirit. Science and spiritual ( God or any spiritual places or beings) mix as well as water and oil do. It is like trying to use science to prove the feelings you have for someone exist before you believe they do. I know God exists in that way. What I have seen felt and experienced has kept me a believer for over 30 years. I dont think I am the only one i think there are billions with me now and before me that also have felt the presence of God too. If you let yourself believe you just may experience something truly beautiful.

There are people who will never try or want to believe in God I think that is a tragedy not being born with that inbuilt ability to sense God through inbuilt belief. Either that or its the Sceptical adults that screw up children's minds and destroy the ability at an early age, through ridicule of what they sense and feel.

Brenno
18-02-2011, 06:18 PM
I must say that I am encouraged by the responses in this thread. Hearing my fellow brothers and sisters unabashedly declare their faith in our loving Creator fills me with hope and anticipation of the era prophesied in the bible when "the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the water covers the seabed." (Habakkuk 2:14)

This is how I see it:

The skeptic, in his pursuit of truth has already arbitrarily demanded two things in order for him to attempt to comprehend the existence of a Higher Power. A)the utilisation of human reasoning, and B) the existence of physical evidence. As such, he is limiting himself to a confined view of reality, literally choosing what truths are real - those which can be explained by human reasoning and proved by physical evidence! A true questioner and pursuer of truth will point out that human reasoning is intrinsically limited and thus ask: is it possible that something can be illogical, yet true? If logic and science cannot explain something in the natural world, does that deny it's reality?

Science can only explain the material/physical; it is an explanation of the natural world through observation of events that can be measured and reproduced. God, by definition is an entirely spiritual Being and not material and therefore physicality does not pertain to Him. Trying to prove God's existence by physical evidence that we can experience through our senses and through science is simply utilising the wrong tool in the search for truth.

For another way of looking at the question of God and the problem of existence, try this thought experiment on for size:

What is a table made out of? Wood.
And what is wood made out of? Cellulose fibers and the chemical compound lingin (thanks wikipedia)
And what are they made out of? Hydrogen, carbon and oxygen
And what are they made out of? Molecules
And what are they made out of? Atoms
And what are they made out of? Protons, electrons and neutrons
And what are they made out of? Quarks
And what are they made out of? String
And what is string made out of? ... And what is that made out of? ... And what is that made out of?

You could continue this questioning forever... but one must ask how this is at all possible. As we all know, the world we live in is finite! It has limits, endpoints, boundaries. So how does one explain this acute paradox?

Science, logic and evidence cannot. The faithful do have an answer, however: The Infinite. God. He Who permeates all reality and is the cause and sustainer of everything that exists.

Roselove
19-02-2011, 12:32 AM
I cant ................

AngelBreeze
19-02-2011, 04:14 AM
I must say that I am encouraged by the responses in this thread. Hearing my fellow brothers and sisters unabashedly declare their faith in our loving Creator fills me with hope and anticipation of the era prophesied in the bible when "the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the water covers the seabed." (Habakkuk 2:14)

This is how I see it:

The skeptic, in his pursuit of truth has already arbitrarily demanded two things in order for him to attempt to comprehend the existence of a Higher Power. A)the utilisation of human reasoning, and B) the existence of physical evidence. As such, he is limiting himself to a confined view of reality, literally choosing what truths are real - those which can be explained by human reasoning and proved by physical evidence! A true questioner and pursuer of truth will point out that human reasoning is intrinsically limited and thus ask: is it possible that something can be illogical, yet true? If logic and science cannot explain something in the natural world, does that deny it's reality?

Science can only explain the material/physical; it is an explanation of the natural world through observation of events that can be measured and reproduced. God, by definition is an entirely spiritual Being and not material and therefore physicality does not pertain to Him. Trying to prove God's existence by physical evidence that we can experience through our senses and through science is simply utilising the wrong tool in the search for truth.

For another way of looking at the question of God and the problem of existence, try this thought experiment on for size:

You could continue this questioning forever... but one must ask how this is at all possible. As we all know, the world we live in is finite! It has limits, endpoints, boundaries. So how does one explain this acute paradox?

Science, logic and evidence cannot. The faithful do have an answer, however: The Infinite. God. He Who permeates all reality and is the cause and sustainer of everything that exists.
:hug3:

Very warm greetings to you, Brenno!

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading this response of yours because I too feel exactly as you do and echo your comments!

I have said many times in different threads that those who seek to reason through science, logic, or evidence, as you point out, cannot and will never be able to when it comes to God or that which pertains to His kingdom. Yet some just don't seem to get it as they repeat the same questions time and again. We have to accept things on Faith and that is the wonderful thing about God not revealing to us the things that interest common man about Him. We are just not supposed to know and unless He decides to tell us one day, we will never know so it is just a non-ending exercise in futility to continue trying to ask questions about God and wanting to see material evidence or empirical evidence which is simply not there for mankind to see about their Creator.

Thanks again for your wonderful post and May God Bless You Always, dear friend! :hug3:

norseman
19-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Faith is just another way to say "I dont know."

AngelBreeze
19-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Faith is just another way to say "I dont know."

Greetings, norseman.

Perhaps for some who have little faith that may be so. But for those with very Strong Faith, such as myself and many others, we do know what feels and rings true in our heart about God! :smile: And it is a wonderful feeling to know that you acknowledge your Creator as He acknowledges you on a daily basis!

I once saw a little plaque in an outdoor sale area that read:

"Faith is seeing Light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness."

I don't know who authored that as there was no name with it but that sure makes All the sense in the world to me and rings so beautifully true that I just had to memorize it!

Have a Blessed day!

Saladkiller
19-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Faith as jesus taught, is bridging the distance between that which is seen, and that which is experienced.

"Lo, look upon the fields, for they are ripe for harvest" and so they were.

Its funny because for jesus, faith was nothing, because he also said "Even if you have the faith that can move mountains, if you do not have love, then you are nothing."

Actually, i think thats what one of his greatest statements, IMO

Zeliar791
19-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Greetings, norseman.

Perhaps for some who have little faith that may be so. But for those with very Strong Faith, such as myself and many others, we do know what feels and rings true in our heart about God! :smile: And it is a wonderful feeling to know that you acknowledge your Creator as He acknowledges you on a daily basis!

I once saw a little plaque in an outdoor sale area that read:

"Faith is seeing Light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness."

I don't know who authored that as there was no name with it but that sure makes All the sense in the world to me and rings so beautifully true that I just had to memorize it!

Have a Blessed day!

As cute as ever...

AngelBreeze
19-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Faith as jesus taught, is bridging the distance between that which is seen, and that which is experienced.

"Lo, look upon the fields, for they are ripe for harvest" and so they were.

Its funny because for jesus, faith was nothing, because he also said "Even if you have the faith that can move mountains, if you do not have love, then you are nothing."

Actually, i think thats what one of his greatest statements, IMO

Greetings, Saladkiller,

I think you are speaking about the following Scripture:

"And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place: and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you." -- MATTHEW 17:20 (KJV)

Jesus indeed knew that if people had but a small degree of faith in something (comparing it to a mustard seed that is quite small) they could move mountains, which means that their trouble(s) could be removed with just that small amount of faith. It is when one has absolutely no faith that those mountains can grow even higher and yet higher for them and are difficult to remove from their life.

Thanks for the reminder. And have a day full of sunshine! :smile:

Chrysaetos
19-02-2011, 04:53 PM
If anybody has realized the existence of God one cannot text it with words and sentences.But those who make the claim all have different experiences, and if they are similar they are influenced by the same sources.
Doing the same practices brainwashes the mind to get the desired result it seeks, and confirmation bias is a powerful tool as well.
The existence of God is rooted in our belief and not in our evidence. We lack proofs if we seek for them.There is no proof whatsoever.

And to those who say that the proof is all around us.. one could say: you can replace god with just matter, or universe. So why invent 'god'?

casper
12-03-2011, 10:00 PM
I go through life feeling i have no urge or wanting to prove or persuade people that my beliefs are correct because quite frankly you cannot prove the existence of god nor that god does not exist. I do not force my beliefs upon anyone.

God is something that gives me comfort to believe in - I believe that something that gives hope and does good cannot be such a bad thing to believe in (it doesn't matter if it exists or not). I take great leaps of faith in life....but that is what i love about my character - that i can believe with an unshakable force in things that i sometimes i cannot see. I love it because i know most people find it difficult to believe in something they cannot see or touch. Things do not have to be visible to exist. :smile:

Internal Queries
13-03-2011, 06:07 AM
"God"? what's that? what are you folks talkin about?

MurciƩlago
13-03-2011, 06:32 AM
How can you prove you exist? Or that I exist?

LadyVirgoxoxo
23-03-2011, 02:51 AM
Who says that what we see and touch really is reality?

Gem
23-03-2011, 04:09 AM

They're trying to prove 'the creator' not the creation.

Gem
23-03-2011, 04:16 AM
There is no point relying on 'cause'... what caused God?

ROM
23-03-2011, 04:22 AM
How is one to prove something which doesn't even lie in Creation? You shouldn't need proof to believe in God. You think too much with your mind and not enough with your heart. The intellect is the bane of humanity, and will always be bound to space and time. Therefore, you cannot fully grasp that which is not bound by the physical and will always need everything validated. Are you able to prove love? How does one measure love? Would you require proof that your spouse loves you? I guess the same thing applies here. It's just a feeling, a sense, an intuitive perceiving, of something greater.

7he4uthor
23-03-2011, 05:35 AM
7he4nswer
is

faith

supernova
23-03-2011, 02:55 PM
How is one to prove something which doesn't even lie in Creation? You shouldn't need proof to believe in God. You think too much with your mind and not enough with your heart. The intellect is the bane of humanity, and will always be bound to space and time. Therefore, you cannot fully grasp that which is not bound by the physical and will always need everything validated. Are you able to prove love? How does one measure love? Would you require proof that your spouse loves you? I guess the same thing applies here. It's just a feeling, a sense, an intuitive perceiving, of something greater.

What is the source of it? Fear or ignorance? Maybe some books of theology. or what we hear from our elders or popes or Gurus and the like. And nobody has other sources than these few ones.

Every religion has a god unique of their culture and reflective of their beliefs.

In Hinduism God has a thousand hands and heads. In Christianity and Islam God reside in high places. In Buddhism God is not a matter of concern.

There are pagan societies of polytheism.

I do not know which faith to follow. Hitler too was religious. Today fundamentalists call themselves religious and kill civilians in the name of religion. If you use your brains religious ideas are losing their significance and it is smeared with bloods.

Shabda
23-03-2011, 03:00 PM
it's quite simple actually, look within your own heart...

supernova
23-03-2011, 03:11 PM
it's quite simple actually, look within your own heart...

If I tear up my heart all I come upon is valves, blood,arteries, bones, fleshes and the chemistry of emotional elements.

Shabda
23-03-2011, 03:13 PM
If I tear up my heart all I come upon is valves, blood,arteries, bones, fleshes and the chemistry of emotional elements.
then youre looking at the wrong heart...you have another, perhaps you cant find God because you cant find your true heart?? find it and you may be amazed at what you find in it...

BlueSky
23-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I see everywhere nature and how can I say it is God.

You are engineered to believe in God.

I haven't read all the posts but I wonder...do you see intelligence everywhere?
Do you see it when you look at the design of the eye? Do you wonder why we have taste buds when they really are not needed. Do you wonder why we feel?
My point is would you say that there is something but it is beyond you?
I think that is where I started believing as a child. i could see that there was something.

supernova
23-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I haven't read all the posts but I wonder...do you see intelligence everywhere?
Do you see it when you look at the design of the eye? Do you wonder why we have taste buds when they really are not needed. Do you wonder why we feel?
My point is would you say that there is something but it is beyond you?
I think that is where I started believing as a child. i could see that there was something.
What is that something that has driven you to believe in some strange and inconceivable realty or something you call supereality.

What is that super intelligence? It may be our imagination or the product of our thinking.

I advocate for humanity and spirituality and not for religious dogmas or warring gods.

BlueSky
23-03-2011, 03:31 PM
What is that something that has driven you to believe in some strange and inconceivable realty or something you call supereality.

My 5 senses, my intelligence, my intuition.

What is that super intelligence? It may be our imagination or the product of our thinking.

It is in me and everywhere I look. I am not 'imagining' the intelligence that is evident when watching a baby grow from an embryo. It is so evident to me that there is greatness all around.
Do you not see it?

I advocate for humanity and spirituality and not for religious dogmas or warring gods

I advocate for a humble respect and awe for what we may not know. It just grows from there.
Do you not sense it? Do you not see that man's God's are man's attempt to try and explain what it sees and doesn't understand. It sees something amazing and is trying to figure it out............it still sees it, regardless.

supernova
23-03-2011, 03:36 PM
then youre looking at the wrong heart...you have another, perhaps you cant find God because you cant find your true heart?? find it and you may be amazed at what you find in it...

What is that true heart? Is this sentimental heart you mean?

I do not conceive whether there are two hearts. Who first deceived simple people with this nonsense that there are two hearts?

supernova
23-03-2011, 03:40 PM

My 5 senses, my intelligence, my intuition.

It is in me and everywhere I look. I am not 'imagining' the intelligence that is evident when watching a baby grow from an embryo. It is so evident to me that there is greatness all around.
Do you not see it?

I advocate for humanity and spirituality and not for religious dogmas or warring gods

I advocate for a humble respect and awe for what we may not know. It just grows from there.
Do you not sense it? Do you not see that man's God's are man's attempt to try and explain what it sees and doesn't understand. It sees something amazing and is trying to figure it out............it still sees it, regardless.

God is man's comfort zone where he can stop and pacify his questing and reasoning mind. With this man digresses since he will inquire no more from that point

BlueSky
23-03-2011, 03:42 PM
God is man's comfort zone where he can stop and pacify his questing and reasoning mind. With this man digresses since he will inquire no more from that point

I wish you well my friend. I'm not sure what you are trying to say or prove but I wish you well.
Take care.....James

True heart = one heart

supernova
23-03-2011, 03:47 PM
I wish you well my friend. I'm not sure what you are trying to say or prove but I wish you well.
Take care.....James

True heart = one heart

You are enlightened if there is enlightenment. You have attained humility, speaking religiously and I am unsure whether or not humility works in this world. We need materiel comforts in every walk of life.

In some ways I feel people believing in God(s) are happier beings though their happiness is founded on the shaky ground.

LadyVirgoxoxo
23-03-2011, 05:32 PM
And what's so bad if people use God as a comfort zone? Surely something that could give someone comfort shouldn't be that bad?

Shabda
23-03-2011, 07:03 PM
You are enlightened if there is enlightenment. You have attained humility, speaking religiously and I am unsure whether or not humility works in this world. We need materiel comforts in every walk of life.

In some ways I feel people believing in God(s) are happier beings though their happiness is founded on the shaky ground.
try being humble to see how well it works in this world...others happiness in YOUR opinion is founded on shaky ground, but then again, so is your opinion, so what's the difference? you arent so different than those that believe in God(s)...shaky ground is created by the mind alone, the soul knows better...

themaster
23-03-2011, 07:17 PM
I cannot disprove it either and no scientific theories can say there is no power. Science is rooted in understanding physical phenomena and how it rains, what causes the solar eclipse and how we can eradicate epidemics and the like.

The existence of God is rooted in our belief and not in our evidence. We lack proofs if we seek for them.

If anybody has realized the existence of God one cannot text it with words and sentences.

The evidence of the existence of God found in books of theology is one of the reasons that pillars our belief. Beyond that there is nothing to prove the existence of God.

Yet devotees have different things to saySince I didn't answer the question..

It's very easy to prove the existance of god/self.. law of attraction is that proof.. experiment for yourself.. :hug3: