PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between New Age and Spirituality?

kimmery
17-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Diff between New Age and Spirituality?

Animus27
17-02-2011, 02:00 AM
New Age is a eclectic belief system based off of certain parts of world religions and with an emphasis on a future change in humanity in some way, the "Age of Aquarius" etc. Thus it's called 'New Age'.

Spirituality is a term thrown around by people who wish to disaffiliate themselves with most religions because they feel there is a stigma upon the word. Spirituality usually refers to a personal practice of a religious nature.

In my view there is little or no difference between spirituality and religion. Religion is spirituality with organization and agreement.

New Ageism can be considered a form of spirituality, but not all people who identify as spiritual are New Age, make sense?

dogninja
17-02-2011, 02:06 AM
consumerism creeping its way into the spirit world vs a path of perception and learning.

i think yes the new age started in the 60s by whites lacking in cultural identity.

Animus27
17-02-2011, 02:09 AM
consumerism creeping its way into the spirit world vs a path of perception and learning.

i think yes the new age started in the 60s by whites lacking in cultural identity.
YES! This is exactly part of the reason New Age has became so popular in western white middle class peoples from a post-Christian society.

Chrysaetos
17-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Diff between New Age and Spirituality? New Age is a modern form, or approach towards spirituality in which people cherry pick the parts they like, the parts that are in line with their confirmation bias.

Spirituality is a very broad term. The best definition in my opinion, would be any belief or system that believes in some spiritual authority, force, or reality.

themaster
17-02-2011, 11:40 AM
New Age is the title in most bookstores.. hence it is one such label for a spiritual awakening for most people.. new age offers a form of empowerment via it's most sacred taught theory.. "law of attraction"

If you learn law of attraction and you follow the prim rose path.. you suddenly find yourself with a lot of answers to all those questions.. our scientists can never answer or even christians.. (it has all the answers without all the lack in most religions)

Why are we here?

What's the function of this environment?

How do I win the lottery? :D

Answers galore.. kiddo :smile:

Swami Chihuahuananda
20-02-2011, 04:04 AM
New Age is the title in most bookstores.. hence it is one such label for a spiritual awakening for most people.. new age offers a form of empowerment via it's most sacred taught theory.. "law of attraction"

If you learn law of attraction and you follow the prim rose path.. you suddenly find yourself with a lot of answers to all those questions.. our scientists can never answer or even christians.. (it has all the answers without all the lack in most religions)

Why are we here?

What's the function of this environment?

How do I win the lottery? :D

Answers galore.. kiddo :smile:

that sounds great ! :D ; I'd like to buy some ..where do I go ? :blob3:

CuriousSnowflake
20-02-2011, 05:09 AM
Spirituality is a term thrown around by people who wish to disaffiliate themselves with most religions because they feel there is a stigma upon the word. Spirituality usually refers to a personal practice of a religious nature.

In my view there is little or no difference between spirituality and religion. Religion is spirituality with organization and agreement.

I don't think that is such a small distinction. Religion assumes that there is One True Way, and, more importantly, that anyone who thinks that a different way is true is not just wrong but, more often than not, damned. Spirituality allows each person to find and create their own connection to the Divine (or whatever they want to call it). Considering the endless list of atrocities, carnage, war, chaos, and suffering caused by people thinking another's religion is "wrong", I'd say the distinction between religion and spirituality is important.

CS

Zeliar791
20-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Religion can be a useful tool for any spiritualist I imagine. By manipulation of belief one can easily acquire a safe haven for whatever spiritual pursuits might be of interest to the person. The lack of flexibility can be a bit daunting for a person who would like to control their development however.

Greenslade
20-02-2011, 08:46 AM

It's another label for another branch of thought.

CuriousSnowflake
20-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Religion can be a useful tool for any spiritualist I imagine. By manipulation of belief one can easily acquire a safe haven for whatever spiritual pursuits might be of interest to the person. The lack of flexibility can be a bit daunting for a person who would like to control their development however.

You're so right about this. I personally think it's a holdover from being under Western Monotheism's thumb for the last 2000 years. WM teaches that the penalty for believing in the wrong thing is damnation and eternal torment, so is it any surprise that people are uncomfortable about striking out on their own and finding their own path? So much better, so much easier to not think for yourself, to allow another to define your truth.

Problem is, though, how many people are truly devout, who truly follow every precept of their chosen religion? Not the majority by any stretch of the imagination. Being on forums like this, it's easy to forget that we are very much in the minority; most people don't give this kind of thing much thought, let alone enjoy discussing it. They default to their parent's religion, shuffle through the rites and rituals with all the enthusiasm of a L train commuter moving through a turnstile, and go back to the rest of their life unmoved.

Religion gives you the convenience of not having to think. Spirituality offers no such comfort. It's benefits lie in other directions.

CS

Zeliar791
20-02-2011, 12:51 PM
You're so right about this. I personally think it's a holdover from being under Western Monotheism's thumb for the last 2000 years. WM teaches that the penalty for believing in the wrong thing is damnation and eternal torment, so is it any surprise that people are uncomfortable about striking out on their own and finding their own path? So much better, so much easier to not think for yourself, to allow another to define your truth.

Problem is, though, how many people are truly devout, who truly follow every precept of their chosen religion? Not the majority by any stretch of the imagination. Being on forums like this, it's easy to forget that we are very much in the minority; most people don't give this kind of thing much thought, let alone enjoy discussing it. They default to their parent's religion, shuffle through the rites and rituals with all the enthusiasm of a L train commuter moving through a turnstile, and go back to the rest of their life unmoved.

Religion gives you the convenience of not having to think. Spirituality offers no such comfort. It's benefits lie in other directions.

CS

Mainly because there isn't very many cultures that encourage such pursuits. It is particularly bad when such pursuits prevent us from living independently.

LadyVirgoxoxo
20-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I agree! Whenever I'm on this forum it seems like so many people are spiritually inclined instead of religious but it's not like that when you step out into the world! At least for me going to a Catholic high school. I'm hoping there will be more spiritual people when I go to college but probably not...It really sucks because I can't talk about astrology, auras, channeling, etc. without people looking at me like I'm some sort of freak. And God forbid if I bring up faeries, they want to lock me in a mental institution...

Zeliar791
20-02-2011, 02:40 PM
I agree! Whenever I'm on this forum it seems like so many people are spiritually inclined instead of religious but it's not like that when you step out into the world! At least for me going to a Catholic high school. I'm hoping there will be more spiritual people when I go to college but probably not...It really sucks because I can't talk about astrology, auras, channeling, etc. without people looking at me like I'm some sort of freak. And God forbid if I bring up faeries, they want to lock me in a mental institution...

People have always treated me like I was crazy. I never really was treated like a real human being.

LadyVirgoxoxo
20-02-2011, 05:22 PM
How long have you been into spirituality?

Royalite
20-02-2011, 06:09 PM
If I turn 20, I will be a New Age. :)

And my spirit will be with me.

CuriousSnowflake
20-02-2011, 11:40 PM

Ooooh, I was lucky enough to dodge that bullet, but my older sibs ended up in Catholic schools. I don't envy you. College can be better, depending on where you go and what you major in. I went to a liberal arts college and majored in music, so no problems there; I got to take Tai Chi as an elective and a course called "European Medieval Mysticism" for a history credit. :D

CS

CuriousSnowflake
20-02-2011, 11:41 PM
People have always treated me like I was crazy. I never really was treated like a real human being.

Sanity is VASTLY overrated. :D

CS

CuriousSnowflake
20-02-2011, 11:50 PM
How long have you been into spirituality?

I'll assume this is a general question. This summer will mark 18 years I've "been at the spiritual game", officially half my life. Boy that makes me sound old. :icon_frown:

CS

LadyVirgoxoxo
21-02-2011, 01:58 AM
I might be going to Roosevelt in downtown Chicago so I'll most likely find different kind of people there.

Saladkiller
21-02-2011, 02:08 AM
I'll assume this is a general question. This summer will mark 18 years I've "been at the spiritual game", officially half my life. Boy that makes me sound old. No no.. i can only say gratz! Ive been at the spiritual game for 6 years. Jesus said that the first virtue the seeker acquires is endurance. Youve certainly got that virtue in abundance =D

CuriousSnowflake
21-02-2011, 03:43 AM
I might be going to Roosevelt in downtown Chicago so I'll most likely find different kind of people there.

Ha, I actually went to Columbia College Chicago, they're practically on top of each other. Saying you'll find "different kinds of people" there is a mild understatement. :wink:

CS

CuriousSnowflake
21-02-2011, 03:49 AM
No no.. i can only say gratz! Ive been at the spiritual game for 6 years. Jesus said that the first virtue the seeker acquires is endurance. Youve certainly got that virtue in abundance =D

You only need endurance for things that are difficult. Spirituality is the definition of ease for me.

CS

Gem
21-02-2011, 04:06 AM
So curious snowflake... does that make you 'middle age'?

Vedaswaroopa
21-02-2011, 05:26 AM
I do not know what is New Age but Spirituality for me is just be open to receive what ever the life is giving you. Be bold to explore new truths like the following revealed by Paramahamsa Nithyananda in recent revelations

"It's not entirely true that Earth is going around the Sun but Sun is also revolving around the Earth".

When I see this from theory of relativity, I completely agree. If we take a relative point higher than the galaxies the modern science know, this definitely can be accepted.

Any other opinion?

CuriousSnowflake
21-02-2011, 02:52 PM
So curious snowflake... does that make you 'middle age'?

In all seriousness, it simply makes me me. Time is an arbitrary concept, a device we use to measure rhythmic change. I am not 36 years old, I have merely had the experience of 36 cycles of the seasons since my physical birth. The West is a time-obsessed culture, and worse a culture obsessed with newness. Quality, depth, history, experience, these things are becoming more and more secondary in Western culture. More and more emphasis is placed on the New Hot Thing. How many people listen to Beethoven, watch Shakespeare, read Austen, except when forced to as part of their education?

Sorry, I know that was meant as a light-hearted question, but I think it goes to the heart of some serious issues. What it comes down to is that you are who you are, and you are as old as you think and feel you are.

CS

LadyVirgoxoxo
21-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I know some people from my school who might be going to Columbia. I would've probably had that as an option if my grades were better! It seems like a good school. When I went to Roosevelt I did meet some interesting people so hopefully I'll make a ton of cool friends when I go there. :smile:

Swami Chihuahuananda
21-02-2011, 10:19 PM
I do not know what is New Age but Spirituality for me is just be open to receive what ever the life is giving you. Be bold to explore new truths like the following revealed by Paramahamsa Nithyananda in recent revelations

"It's not entirely true that Earth is going around the Sun but Sun is also revolving around the Earth".

When I see this from theory of relativity, I completely agree. If we take a relative point higher than the galaxies the modern science know, this definitely can be accepted.

Any other opinion?

Einstein's theory of relativity does dot apply to whether the Earth orbits the sun or vice versa , but you can correctly state that from the perspective of standing on the Earth, the sun appears to go around the Earth.

I have no idea what you mean by "If we take a relative point higher than the galaxies the modern science know" so I won't offer anything there.

Dar

tainamom
27-02-2011, 12:10 AM
For me spirituality is learning to accept, receive the Love and Light from Source through our spirit that is located in the heart area. It is where we experience true joy, peace, calmness and happiness. It helps our spirit grow in love.

New Age is a concept that probably started even before I was born. But in today's New Age, it includes so many things, things that are spiritual in nature and things that are not spiritual in nature (that grows the ego).

We must discern through the heart. If we find "New Age" stuff that makes us feel happy and brings that beautiful smile to our face, then we should follow it because it's calling us and will bring happiness to us. If we feel leary about something that's considered "New Age", then let it go.

enjoy.