PDA

View Full Version : Happiness

Philip
02-10-2006, 03:25 PM
So, you want to be happy? You cannot make me happy. You are not my happiness. Uninterrupted happiness is uncaused. True happiness is uncaused. You say to the awakened person, "Why are you happy?" and the awakened person replies, "Why not?"
Happiness is our natural state. Happiness is the natural state of little children, to whom the kingdom belongs until they have been polluted and contaminated by the stupidity of society and culture. To acquire happiness there is nothing you have to do - why? - because happiness cannot be acquired. Does anybody know why happiness cannot be acquired? Because we have it already. How can you acquire what you already have?

Why then don't you experience it? Because you've got to drop something. You've got to drop your illusions. You don't have to add anything in order to be happy; you've got to drop something. Life is easy, life is delightful. It's only hard in your illusions, your ambitions, your greed, your cravings.

Do you know where these things come from?
From having identified with all kinds of labels!

e-ma
02-10-2006, 04:25 PM
That's so true. It seems every day, more and more I notice the insane drive by our society towards this utopian vision of 'happiness', and all of the millions of things we do to try and get there. But it's just there underneath all the time. I was at work today, in my natural state just doing my work, and I was at my baseline happiness level. To everyone else, this looked miserable, because everyone else was on a hyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of bliss, which always precedes a crash. Different people, as they walked past would say, 'Cheer up!' and, 'SMILE!' - and it just made me think, uh? I am happy, I don't need to be grinning my head off or talking at three thousand words per minute to show that I'm alright. Hm..

Philip
02-10-2006, 05:26 PM
So right e-ma. I know exactly what you are saying.

Much of what passes for happiness with many is nothing more than a deluding oneself in the hope that the impending downturn, which is looming inevitably more prominently, will not come about or can be avoided by wishful thinking.

A state of equilibrium is for most another country, and they don't know where to buy a ticket or obtain a visa.

Mother Goose
02-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Just days after I had to resign from my job, I took my kids to the city park...I stood there watching them play & was blissfully happy. There was a time when the fact that I knew bills would be piling up would have caused me way too much distress to be 'happy'...but there I was being HAPPY. It was very odd to me and yet I knew it was RIGHT.

Life is easy, life is delightful.
That's something I've 'known,' but truly believing it is the secret.

~Jay~
02-10-2006, 07:08 PM
That's so true. It seems every day, more and more I notice the insane drive by our society towards this utopian vision of 'happiness', and all of the millions of things we do to try and get there. But it's just there underneath all the time. I was at work today, in my natural state just doing my work, and I was at my baseline happiness level. To everyone else, this looked miserable, because everyone else was on a hyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of bliss, which always precedes a crash. Different people, as they walked past would say, 'Cheer up!' and, 'SMILE!' - and it just made me think, uh? I am happy, I don't need to be grinning my head off or talking at three thousand words per minute to show that I'm alright. Hm..

LOL e-ma, could have written this myself, word for word! :D

e-ma
02-10-2006, 07:24 PM
:icon_biggrin: aye, thumbs-up!

Dean
03-11-2006, 07:24 PM
I dont think we can be happy all the time, but I think we can be at peace, which is what I'm striving for..

dreamer
04-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Great post Phillip, reminds me of a Zen story I read once, a man approaches a Zen master and says master I am an angry man help me with my anger, the master turns to the man and says, show me your anger right now, the man says back I cannot I am not angry right now, the master raised his eyebrows and said I thought you said you were an angry man? your true nature is accessable in an instant if your true nature was anger you would be able to show it to me now - go away and work out what your true nature is, you have no problem with anger only with not knowing your true nature which frustrates you.

Jadewynd~
09-11-2006, 05:42 AM
So, you want to be happy? You cannot make me happy. You are not my happiness. Uninterrupted happiness is uncaused. True happiness is uncaused. You say to the awakened person, "Why are you happy?" and the awakened person replies, "Why not?"
Happiness is our natural state. Happiness is the natural state of little children, to whom the kingdom belongs until they have been polluted and contaminated by the stupidity of society and culture. To acquire happiness there is nothing you have to do - why? - because happiness cannot be acquired. Does anybody know why happiness cannot be acquired? Because we have it already. How can you acquire what you already have?

Why then don't you experience it? Because you've got to drop something. You've got to drop your illusions. You don't have to add anything in order to be happy; you've got to drop something. Life is easy, life is delightful. It's only hard in your illusions, your ambitions, your greed, your cravings.

Do you know where these things come from?
From having identified with all kinds of labels!

This post is very striking! But, I think the most striking sentence to me personally is: "Because you have to drop something" . This statement is so true and I seem to have done a good amount in my years-"drop something". That something that just doesn't fit, the change you want to see in your life which is in line to the higher self that everyone who is aware of the higher self is trying to attain. It can be anything, anyone base on illusion or very real that there is only one way and that is through it. What I mean is if it is illusion it is easy to destroy for the most part because it is based solely on thought and attitude. But, self imposed prisons or externally forced prisons are very much real just to change your way of thinking is not enough but, to find your way out is a tougher challenge.

This makes me think of how yoga was invented during India's oppression. Yoga was a form to escape the oppression of the time mentally without actually leaving physically since, there was no option. So, yes happiness is a state of mind but, the stakes are raised depending on the challenge and how much happiness can be attained.

Enlightener
09-11-2006, 10:13 AM
hyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of blishyper-caffeinated post-cigarette orgy of bliss

ROFL

Enlightener, that cracked my up E-ma, thanks.

Emily is hot!