PDA

View Full Version : Beware of "spiritual bypassing"

shivatar
19-12-2016, 06:32 PM
Here is a link to an article by High Existence (opinionated but strongly rational/logical news source on esoteric subjects).

http://highexistence.com/spiritual-bypassing-how-spirituality-sabotaged-my-growth/

"Spiritual bypassing, a term coined in the early 1980s by psychologist John Welwood, refers to the use of spiritual practices and beliefs to avoid dealing with uncomfortable feelings, unresolved wounds, and fundamental emotional and psychological needs. The concept was developed in the spirit of Chögyam Trungpa’s Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, which was one of the first attempts to name this spiritual distortion.

According to teacher and author Robert Augustus Masters, spiritual bypassing causes us to withdraw from ourselves and others, hiding behind a kind of spiritual veil of metaphysical beliefs and practices. He says it “not only distances us from our pain and difficult personal issues, but also from our own authentic spirituality, stranding us in a metaphysical limbo, a zone of exaggerated gentleness, niceness, and superficiality.”

Aspects of spiritual bypassing include

exaggerated detachment,
emotional numbing and repression,
overemphasis on the positive,
anger-phobia,
blind or overly tolerant compassion,
weak or too porous boundaries,
lopsided development (cognitive intelligence often being far ahead of emotional and moral intelligence),
debilitating judgment about one’s negativity or shadow side,
devaluation of the personal relative to the spiritual,
and delusions of having arrived at a higher level of being.

----------------

Lotta truth in this article. I at first thought this article was written by a "hater", someone who perhaps was once spiritual but felt betrayed by it, someone with a bias to see the negative in the spiritual situation or those following a spiritual path.... now I see it does accurately describe a trend.

Since I saw spiritual bypassing in myself and in the world first then read the article it didn't do much for me, maybe it will be more helpful for you.

----

Good luck.

shivatar
19-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Oh, I'm a fan of stirring the spiritual pot. That's my bias.

---

[[TRIGGER WARNING]]

lol

naturesflow
19-12-2016, 07:40 PM
Here is a link to an article by High Existence (opinionated but strongly rational/logical news source on esoteric subjects).

http://highexistence.com/spiritual-bypassing-how-spirituality-sabotaged-my-growth/

"Spiritual bypassing, a term coined in the early 1980s by psychologist John Welwood, refers to the use of spiritual practices and beliefs to avoid dealing with uncomfortable feelings, unresolved wounds, and fundamental emotional and psychological needs. The concept was developed in the spirit of Chögyam Trungpa’s Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, which was one of the first attempts to name this spiritual distortion.

Interesting term, it fits all the same. In my experience I reached a point of awareness where I couldn't avoid myself even if I tried too. I often wonder if fear of death and wanting to live created that in my awareness all the same? Meaning once you get to the darkest corners of your mind and fears, you will do anything to move beyond them. So if you make that choice, there is only one direction to move to, from the external at that point. "within and look at yourself more directly" I had so much spiritual distortion, I can laugh at myself now, see the absurd nature of myself. But walking through it, of course it was terrifying and crazy and provided a way out and in and out again looking at myself and life more directly, which was important for me building the whole awareness, I suppose you could say.

According to teacher and author Robert Augustus Masters, spiritual bypassing causes us to withdraw from ourselves and others, hiding behind a kind of spiritual veil of metaphysical beliefs and practices. He says it “not only distances us from our pain and difficult personal issues, but also from our own authentic spirituality, stranding us in a metaphysical limbo, a zone of exaggerated gentleness, niceness, and superficiality.”

Yes we love to hide from and behind things, regarding ourselves. It is a way to distance and detach from our deeper movements and creations in us. I think life itself when we don't get things, often triggers experiences to show us the reality of life and ourselves as life when we get in the way.

Aspects of spiritual bypassing include

exaggerated detachment,
emotional numbing and repression,
overemphasis on the positive,
anger-phobia,
blind or overly tolerant compassion,
weak or too porous boundaries,
lopsided development (cognitive intelligence often being far ahead of emotional and moral intelligence),
debilitating judgment about one’s negativity or shadow side,
devaluation of the personal relative to the spiritual,
and delusions of having arrived at a higher level of being.

Makes much sense to me.

----------------

Lotta truth in this article. I at first thought this article was written by a "hater", someone who perhaps was once spiritual but felt betrayed by it, someone with a bias to see the negative in the spiritual situation or those following a spiritual path.... now I see it does accurately describe a trend.

Since I saw spiritual bypassing in myself and in the world first then read the article it didn't do much for me, maybe it will be more helpful for you.

----

Good luck.

For me I suppose what you have posted here, shows me myself in the past and it fits much of my own hiding and deeper opening's in all those aspects that I had to face in myself..

I suppose you could call this "getting more real" about life and yourself.

shivatar
19-12-2016, 08:27 PM
What was getting more real like to you?

--

For me getting serious about my life meant quite a few things, mostly material things I had been rejecting while following spiritual things.

Simple things like creating a budget, getting a steady job, becoming more responsible for my own life, etc.

naturesflow
19-12-2016, 08:37 PM
What was getting more real like to you?

--

For me getting serious about my life meant quite a few things, mostly material things I had been rejecting while following spiritual things.

Simple things like creating a budget, getting a steady job, becoming more responsible for my own life, etc.

Yes I can relate. As much as being in the "higher realms" of learning for a time supported my deeper awareness and learning, coming back down from that to the nature of reality, had me look more directly at life as it is the second time around without distortion in place, more open and aware to know what was important in the nature of living this life more real with less fantasy at play from my own distortion and altered perception of reality..

Things like taking care of my physical self, personal responsibilities, awareness of life as it is around me, not detached and believing it to be something else. Seeing life more "real". As in being more real in terms of relating and living with other life.

In my altered "spiritual bypassing" I was avoiding looking at life more directly in lots of ways of living, so everything came into this view and awareness. Of course seeing myself more directly/truthfully supported this opening up.

shivatar
19-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Balance between living in reality and being too pessimistic about the power of imagination is a difficult balance.

--

So your experience led you to live in more harmony with other life forms? ( I assume you mean animals and plants)

SecretDreams333
19-12-2016, 09:44 PM
interesting what sort of spiritual development does this psychologist have himself , does he know his past life's met his guides yet ? lol
no those those do not exist right haahaha

shivatar
19-12-2016, 09:48 PM
Doesn't matter to me what his development is.

SecretDreams333
20-12-2016, 08:20 AM
Doesn't matter to me what his development is.

lol yes you never even met him
sure all people are nice
but spiritual realities show the human soul in a different perspective
that makes a lot of other knowledge obsolete since they can be explained as
wrong conclusions drawn from lack of seeing all
just imagine the list of things that arise from past life actions
makes your statement a thing to say in a spiritual perspective this poster (you) knows nothing worth while , but yes sure you might be a nice person
well how is that for a review of your answer form some one who does know his past life's and all other stuff lol ΑΩ

God-Like
20-12-2016, 09:37 AM
Some I would say venture into spiritual practices in order to escape or blank out trauma or just to perhaps bring a little peace into their lives .

For some there is total dedication and devotional tendencies had to enquire and get to the heart of one's self .

In this instance it is as far a way as one could get in regards to escapism and such likes .

x dazzle x

peteyzen
20-12-2016, 09:41 AM
I totally agree with this post. My teacher has always said to me we have to have a firm foot in both worlds, the spiritual and the material. He meant we need to deal with our physical lives properly, that is, earn a living, look after our family, keep ourselves healthy, manage our finances etc etc., but at the same time we need to go inside ourselves and develop our spiritual nature, spend time with god, meditate, mantra. then bring that spiritual practice and discipline into our worldly endeavours, so we embody empathy and kindness. Having said that he also said we need to be pragmatic, if someone is cheating on us, then by the law of deserve or not deserve, we need to let them go, because we do not deserve that. Its a tricky thing at times to get the balance right. But depending on the tarot to show us the way every day, or swooning over `twin flames` who have dumped us are definitley not the right way and these weaknesses need to be faced, or we will just bounce around at the same deluded level for the rest of this life.

Aube Borealis
20-12-2016, 09:42 AM
Is reality more of a self control and spirituality more of freeing one self.

We control our emotions in reality for us to think logically.

I am guilty of suppressing my emotions to be logical but spiritually suffer for not expressing it.

We know ourselves, what we want, what we dream of but we tend in prioritizing what is needed.

Baile
20-12-2016, 09:43 AM
That's an interesting list, it reads like a person in an abusive relationship. Which makes sense given many religious and spiritual beliefs, organizations and cults really are quite abusive (and self-abusive). Something to keep in mind though: everything we do, is a spiritual act. We are evolving our spiritual or higher nature with every breath. I personally never could or would describe certain types of human thought and behavior as "aspects of spiritual bypassing." Rather, these are all aspects of personal spiritual expression, relative to the particular individual, in this particular lifetime.

A human Being
20-12-2016, 01:14 PM
It's true, imo, that engaging in spiritual practices can simply be an elaborate avoidance strategy, and just yet another way to avoid what you're feeling in this moment. It's unfortunate, but people often only face what they've studiously tried to avoid their whole lives when they reach a crisis point, when they've exhausted all other avenues.

Which isn't to say that spiritual practices don't have value - far from it, they can have inestimable value. But sincerity and underlying intent are everything, imo, and I feel that quite often people are engaging in these practices because they're looking for a painless route to liberation.

Gem
20-12-2016, 01:40 PM
It's a good article which raises a good point, because spirituality and its various practices can be used as avoidance strategies and often are, perhaps more often than not, because the consumer culture in which one comes to believe that the next purchase, consumption or attainment will bring happiness, and such things such as spending, eating, consuming intoxicants, or getting recognition and fame in some way then serve as pursuits which distract people from their life's pain, are easily transferred to beliefs that attaining this spiritual experience and that will bring happiness. The objects of it change, but the pattern of it is the same. Eventually it exhausts a person and they have to come to a stop, and I think that's when it becomes what I'd call spiritual, as everything you avoided catches you up and everything you pursued gets away.

Really!
20-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Thank you for the link ...
I'm hoping it will be read by everyone ...
Sadly, I've frequently come across bypassing here on SF ...
Its my reason for replying w/clear practical answers/advice especially w/younger people ...
They are still evolving as an individual, learning to problem solve, understanding their emotions, searching for answers they can apply to daily life, etc ...
Its valuable when questioning why their beliefs stop working as well as rejected by others ....

shivatar
20-12-2016, 10:40 PM
lol yes you never even met him
sure all people are nice
but spiritual realities show the human soul in a different perspective
that makes a lot of other knowledge obsolete since they can be explained as
wrong conclusions drawn from lack of seeing all
just imagine the list of things that arise from past life actions
makes your statement a thing to say in a spiritual perspective this poster (you) knows nothing worth while , but yes sure you might be a nice person
well how is that for a review of your answer form some one who does know his past life's and all other stuff lol ΑΩ

maybe my spiritual reality doesn't require knowledge of the credentials of my teachers.

---

seems like a pretty opinionated review, but hey isn't that one of our basic human rights? lol

shivatar
20-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Thank you for the link ...
I'm hoping it will be read by everyone ...
Sadly, I've frequently come across bypassing here on SF ...
Its my reason for replying w/clear practical answers/advice especially w/younger people ...
They are still evolving as an individual, learning to problem solve, understanding their emotions, searching for answers they can apply to daily life, etc ...
Its valuable when questioning why their beliefs stop working as well as rejected by others ....

I was mad at first at how prevalent this "spiritual disease" is but being mad isn't going to help the situation so I just be aware of it when I remember to and try to apologize when I forget.

shivatar
20-12-2016, 10:44 PM
It's true, imo, that engaging in spiritual practices can simply be an elaborate avoidance strategy, and just yet another way to avoid what you're feeling in this moment. It's unfortunate, but people often only face what they've studiously tried to avoid their whole lives when they reach a crisis point, when they've exhausted all other avenues.

Which isn't to say that spiritual practices don't have value - far from it, they can have inestimable value. But sincerity and underlying intent are everything, imo, and I feel that quite often people are engaging in these practices because they're looking for a painless route to liberation.

Indeed, I heard it's called the sacred wound. When avoiding our problems becomes the reason we (pretty much) require spirituality in our life. Avoiding problems becomes a bigger issue than the oringinal pain, spirituality becomes more or less "required" when people reach a place of suffering they are unwilling to deal with. If they reach that state and use spirituality without solving their problems then the problems are just delayed, eventually spirituality is again questioned and is either reinforced (into a stronger delusion of spiritual journey/bypassing) or problems are solved. The crisis gets bigger and bigger until it's foundation is removed/solved.

shivatar
20-12-2016, 10:47 PM
That's an interesting list, it reads like a person in an abusive relationship. Which makes sense given many religious and spiritual beliefs, organizations and cults really are quite abusive (and self-abusive). Something to keep in mind though: everything we do, is a spiritual act. We are evolving our spiritual or higher nature with every breath. I personally never could or would describe certain types of human thought and behavior as "aspects of spiritual bypassing." Rather, these are all aspects of personal spiritual expression, relative to the particular individual, in this particular lifetime.

The term spiritual bypassing can stand as the negative term that brings a person to clear awareness of their probelms, or it can be seen as not a problem and other things can become the negative term.

regardless of what we label as the problem something is going to have to be the nasty sign of "hey, look at this, it's a problem!". otherwise why would they have negative symptoms if everything is good? Seeing everything as a spiritual journey, even the things causing suffering that can be solved, isn't a good way to ease the suffering faced in life. In fact it seems the opposite, pride leading to inaction or incorrect action.

Really!
20-12-2016, 10:51 PM
I see it as escapism when spiritual beliefs are not properly implemented to help solve problems ...
I don't think of bypassing as a negative term, I view it as a necessary tool to help others identify the reasons that are preventing their spiritual/human growth ...
If this information causes anger, then it's intent is not properly being understood/realized ...
Many people quit spiritualism or religion b/c they lack the knowledge of how to balance the two as well as how to smoothly intertwine them into their daily life ...

Excerpts from video:

Yoga, meditation, psychedelics, prayer, affirmations, deeply engaging with the present moment, etc. are all incredibly powerful spiritual tools if used appropriately.But sometimes, and if we’re not careful, those things can end up masking deeper issues lingering both inside and outside of us.

To me, spiritual bypassing is fundamentally about taking a so-called absolute truth — such as “everything is okay” — and using it to ignore or deny relative truths — such as the grief we feel when we lose a loved one, or the shame that arises when we fail at something important. On the personal and interpersonal level, sometimes everything isn’t okay. And that’s okay.

Before we can heal our pain, we have to be honest about it and accept it — which is ideally what spirituality should help realize. As Masters suggests, this is certainly easier said than done and requires a level of vulnerability which most of us are uncomfortable with.

shivatar
20-12-2016, 11:26 PM
I see it as escapism when spiritual beliefs are not properly implemented to help solve problems ...
I don't think of bypassing as a negative term, I view it as a necessary tool to help others identify the reasons that are preventing their spiritual/human growth ...
If this information causes anger, then it's intent is not properly being understood/realized ...

Excerpts from video:

Yoga, meditation, psychedelics, prayer, affirmations, deeply engaging with the present moment, etc. are all incredibly powerful spiritual tools if used appropriately.But sometimes, and if we’re not careful, those things can end up masking deeper issues lingering both inside and outside of us.

To me, spiritual bypassing is fundamentally about taking a so-called absolute truth — such as “everything is okay” — and using it to ignore or deny relative truths — such as the grief we feel when we lose a loved one, or the shame that arises when we fail at something important. On the personal and interpersonal level, sometimes everything isn’t okay. And that’s okay.

Before we can heal our pain, we have to be honest about it and accept it — which is ideally what spirituality should help realize. As Masters suggests, this is certainly easier said than done and requires a level of vulnerability which most of us are uncomfortable with.

I agree and it's my personal opinion to leave things as I would have once seen them and not use my "spiritual vision" to view material problems.

Keeping things as negative, without addng the additional "wow I hate negative things" (the double whammy), is how I avoid using spiritual bypassing as an escape mechanism. it's like I have eliminated the additional worry without avoiding the problem, it's the best solution in my opinion.

Baile
21-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Seeing everything as a spiritual journey, even the things causing suffering that can be solved, isn't a good way to ease the suffering faced in life. In fact it seems the opposite, pride leading to inaction or incorrect action.A person operating out of a material understanding of life will struggle with the idea that the impetus behind all human experience - including suffering - is spiritual. Whereas an individual operating out of spiritual, higher-self awareness, will see, understand, embrace and nurture these connections. Pride leading to inaction or incorrect action isn't a concern; this is simply the way of the world for most, a result of their material, lower-self beliefs and activity. Rather, I concern myself with eternal wisdom and higher action born of an understanding of all reality as spirit.

Moonglow
21-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Hello,
This discussion brings some thoughts.

In regards to being obsessed, as I am interpreting, over " spiritual" matters, isn't it a question of self worth?

Meaning if someone feels " unworthy" then in my option would think he/ she would seek out things and/ or people to give them a sense of worthiness. Which to me is in a way escaping facing oneself and would think may lead to being obsessed with trying to be worthy.

I feel there is a distinction between being obsessed and being dedicated. Being aware or whatever brings one to feel a connection with Spirit/ God does not necessarily free one from this world with its struggles and beauty. It changes the perspective. Atleast this is what I experience.

I feel everything has some sort of spiritual value, but this may be based upon how one views and feels spiritual to be or not.

Still, even feeling and noticing the undercurrents or spirituality in life does not free me from having to deal with living my life and what comes along.

At times tried to hide away for awhile, but life has its way of creeping in and reminding me what needs to be done. What gets ignored for me will persist until I take steps to take care of it.

Now the above may not seem " spiritual" but then again depends how "spiritual" may be termed or not.

There is a difference between having spirituality enhance life and trying to be spiritual.

shivatar
21-12-2016, 08:42 PM
A person operating out of a material understanding of life will struggle with the idea that the impetus behind all human experience - including suffering - is spiritual. Whereas an individual operating out of spiritual, higher-self awareness, will see, understand, embrace and nurture these connections. Pride leading to inaction or incorrect action isn't a concern; this is simply the way of the world for most, a result of their material, lower-self beliefs and activity. Rather, I concern myself with eternal wisdom and higher action born of an understanding of all reality as spirit.

Or have different opinions on what spiritual is and material is.