PDA

View Full Version : Can you wear make up and still be interested in spiritual growth?

Lavender88
10-12-2016, 03:50 AM
Let's say that a girl really enjoys wearing make up and dressing up.... but does that hinder her from her spiritual path?

I'm just not sure...

naturesflow
10-12-2016, 05:40 AM
Creativity is part of self and life.

You can still create yourself and look deeper beyond your surface appearance to heal and grow. All the while enjoying your own creativity and personal preferences.

I am a girl, am pretty spiritually minded in relation to a holistic approach to life and living.

I love clothes and dressing up. I feel good deep down, the surface stuff doesn't lead me, what is moving deeper in me moves me. But I still have fun with my own creativity in this way your asking about.

I do have this awareness in my use of makeup. I care about what I put on my skin in relation to its ingredients so I am conscious of the product and its creation before I do wear something. I prefer natural as close as I can get it.

As for clothes I love colour, texture, style and instead of always buying new, I buy second hand which helps the planet and others

In the nature of my own spirituality, I am simply more conscious of what I buy and put on my skin. So it serves my preference of staying "close to nature" as I can get. So I like to be informed about what I am using.
My body serves me to walk this earth, so it pays to take care of it.

wstein
10-12-2016, 06:30 AM
Let's say that a girl really enjoys wearing make up and dressing up.... but does that hinder her from her spiritual path? Wearing make up (or other types of body enhancement) generally does not impede spiritual growth.

Spiritual growth is about an inner journey, not an external one.

One might get the impression that make up is counter the spiritual journey because many 'spiritual types' do not adorn their bodies. There is a spiritual path of 'denial' of all worldly things (includes adornment), this very uncommon in the West and a minority in the East.

More commonly however, one looses interest in making an impression on the external world. Those previously wearing make up to impress others will stop doing so. Some will still wear make up (or other adornment) if it has meaning to them personally (internally).

Overall there is no need to worry much about it. What to do will become more clear over time.

Lorelyen
10-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Seems fine to me. It's just about enhancing your physical appearance among other people in a way you like, is all.

Hardly different from wearing a bra to show off your shape. I wear one more for support but hope it's basically true to my shape. :smile:

Rozie
11-12-2016, 04:37 PM
It is good for your spiritual growth..When you are creative, then you are tuning in.

If you use yourself as the palette, that is fine. It is good.

n2mec
11-12-2016, 05:11 PM
Some things we much all go through for better or worse, especially when young. All part of a passage to greater things, harm can also come from not allowing. Spirituality may have to come later.

The real question is can you survive?

Blue Tiger
11-12-2016, 05:30 PM
It seems to me that the only way it might interfere with spiritual growth is if one became totally obsessed with appearance. Obsession of most any sort takes focus off other pursuits and limits ones ability to think rationally.

As long as there isn't obsession, makeup and nice clothes seem like ways of expressing self love.

n2mec
11-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Living in a world of illusions, where one feels the need for acceptance and bonding why not. Seems like its a necessity in the beginning.

taurmel
12-12-2016, 03:45 AM
As long as there isn't obsession, makeup and nice clothes seem like ways of expressing self love.

Absolutely, what is so wrong with feeling good on the inside by what you present on the outside, within healthy limits of course :)

If you want to feel good about the makeup, so many brands are cruelty-free and vegan now, that it feels so great expressing creativity via these brands! Clothing, so much fun to show who you are by what you're wearing!

I love to wear makeup WHENEVER IT WORKS FOR ME! I don't do it anymore to impress the world, I do it to express my mood. Do it for you, that's what makes it fun, makes you grow in your self-expression, creativity, and self-love...and don't worry about what others think because (as I tell my children) you're the one who has to wear it, no one else should matter!

Gracey
12-12-2016, 04:13 AM
Let's say that a girl really enjoys wearing make up and dressing up.... but does that hinder her from her spiritual path?

I'm just not sure...
no.............it doesn't hinder your path unless you allow vanity to rule your life.

lilith
12-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Living in a world of illusions, where one feels the need for acceptance and bonding why not. Seems like its a necessity in the beginning.

That.
Although doesn't matter per se.
But there is truth that being less materialistic makes you grow more spiritually, as you feel more free and accept yourself as you are, your body, and all, your face without makeup and your breasts without bra, and so on. Don't you feel some clothes restricts your energy flow? Try going out like that if you don't usually and you'll see how it has impact on you.
We spent a lot energy creating our false image we want to present to the world, by trying to look good to feel good instead vice versa.
Don't we enjoy ourselves feeling careless with messy hair in pyjamas? I do. But most would feel embarrassed if people saw us like that.
How we look is an extension of our minds in a way. But caring less about that is a symbolic way of making our souls liberated. Remember how we didn't care about any of this when we were kids...

Jack of Spades
14-12-2016, 10:33 AM

I'm just not sure...

I would like to think the opposite. She might be expressing her creativity and femininity by dressing up and doing make up. Those are good forces and beneficial in her path.

DoctorStrange
14-12-2016, 11:24 AM

I'm just not sure...

Life is to be enjoyed. In all facets. Once people live this, spiritual growth will come naturally. It's important not to judge yourself.

LadyMay
14-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Why not? Why would you think you can't? Religious stereotypes carried over perhaps?

MARDAV70
14-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Whether make up is worn or not is not a barometer of what's inside. Simply, "you can't judge a book by it's cover"...song penned by Bo Diddley.

Debrah
14-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Can you wear make up and still grow spiritually?

Depends on if the products contain or were tested on helpless animals.

keokutah
15-12-2016, 11:28 PM
Not a girl, but I feel like if you really loved yourself you wouldn't need to wear a mask (so to speak).

I feel like it would be better to celebrate your natural beauty by investing more time in healthy skin care routines and what not, rather than slathering on a bunch of unhealthy makeup to hide flaws. Also, I love the natural look on women too.

The woman I currently am seeing never wears makeup, except for lipgloss and nail polish for some reason, and she never wears fragrances because she has sensitive skin, but I like that because I'm not fond of smelly perfumes anyway.

Human mating rituals are backwards, I think. In the animal kingdom, it's usually the males that are more colorful and prettier, so that they can attract a female mate, since the females are usually really picky and there's like tons of males trying to compete with each other to impress one female.

And in the human world, tons of men are still trying to compete with each other to impress one female, but women are the one dolling themselves up, and men aren't really doing much to improve their physical appearance at all, which makes it even more difficult for them to find a woman.

So really... men should be wearing makeup and getting all dolled up. Because, really... the majority of men really don't care about makeup, we'd still be attracted to a woman if she wasn't wearing any. I swear the majority of men are not as picky as women are. Most of us would find any woman attractive, as long as she has a heartbeat and is breathing LoL. I guess I sort of got off topic.

Govind
18-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Yes definitely you can wear make up and still interested in spiritual growth. Spirituality does stop you to wear make up and all, its your choice in which you are comfortable whether in make up or not.Spirituality comes from inside and doesn't depends on your looks and dress up.

SecretDreams333
18-12-2016, 11:42 AM
I wear make up ,its the body I own , but I am not interested in spiritual growth

Snow Goose
18-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Interesting topic!

Lots of different views.

Some would say you are being fake by wearing makeup, i can understand that perspective. Wearing red lipstick insinuates that you are fertile etc.

Some would say it doesnt matter or impact those around you.

My experience;

I grew up wearing makeup, i never wore loads but liked to feel fresh and it did help my confidence.
For a few years I stopped wearing makeup, used only natural mostly handmade products. I stopped
straightening/curling my hair, even tried doing water only for washing hair.

The above was a bit of an experiment for me. I found that interacting with others was very different when doing this, it could be that it effected my confidence but I feel that people reacted in a much more positive way towards me when I have taken more 'care' of my appearence.

I live in a Society that has certain expectations about appearence so putting on a little makeup and doing your hair can help you to influence people around you. Im not wearing makeup to attract a partner (im in a very happy relationship) it is to create the life I want to live.

Snow Goose
18-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Ment to add.......

Makeups impact on spirituality.

We play roles all day long and many people use unforms or outfits which help us get into the role. If you look at magikal practice for example people wear robes and different coloured outfits to assist in rituals. Is makeup not just an extension of this in everyday life?

Hemera
18-12-2016, 12:40 PM
I think make up is like most things - it's what not what it is that makes it either a problem or asset to personal growth, but how you perceive it. If you like wearing it then wear it. Likewise if you enjoy a certain style of clothing then enjoy buying/wearing it. Just be wary of letting these things control you and lead you away from your heart. People who become obsessed with their appearance and/or materialism are cut off from their heart because their actions stem from fear. They forget that outward appearances change over time and can't be held onto.

MARDAV70
18-12-2016, 03:37 PM
Ummm...lol...in all this talk about makeup couldn't we essentially say the same things about the clothing we choose? The dwellings we choose to live in? The type of transportation we choose?

guthrio
18-12-2016, 08:29 PM

I'm just not sure...

Lavender88,

Answer to your post's question, "Can you wear make up and still be interested in spiritual growth?"...Yes!

Regardless whether you wear makeup or love to dress up....spiritual growth is less about one's face....outside....and more about what one faces....within.

True beauty...and spiritual growth is less about how you are dressed, and more about how you address your Soul's makeup.

When Yogananda Paramahansa asked his guru Sri Yukteswar, "Gurudeva, are all astral persons beautiful?"

"Beauty in the astral world is known to be a spiritual quality, and not an outward conformation," Sri Yukteswar replied.

As above, so below....

As within, so without....

....just as Nobel Peace Prize winners, Malala Yousafzai, and Aung San Suu Kyi remain unhindered, to this day, from their spiritual paths, despite the horrors they courageously faced...and triumphantly addressed as women, in their respective countries.

Beautiful is...as Beautiful does.

Hope this helps.

Reference: http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/2014/yousafzai-facts.html

Reference: http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1991/kyi-facts.html

Reference: https://www.crystalclarity.com/yogananda/chap43.php