PDA

View Full Version : What are good careers for spiritual development?

Burntfruit
09-10-2016, 02:52 PM
I am at a crossroads in my life, I used to be a software engineer, and was enjoyable and a chore.

I may look into a new career direction, but just wondering what good career options to develop spiritually?

lemex
09-10-2016, 04:02 PM
I am at a crossroads in my life, I used to be a software engineer, and was enjoyable and a chore.

I may look into a new career direction, but just wondering what good career options to develop spiritually?

Not sure if you're working now, but this is something I've seen about work. Work is central to us.

Is it necessary to move to a new career versus direction would be my thought. I tend to find that people do get consumed in their work. I would say people need to take a literal break from the grind and use their vacation time 100% for those two or three weeks. Right now I'm interested in taking a cruise that center on a spiritual theme. Camping and being out in nature. Many times we feel (say) we can't do other things and stay home during vacation and do jobs around the house, where I see that this is still tied to the job. It's a chore. My feeling now is, people should emerge themselves in life as much as they do in their jobs. Job's are very completive for sure. One can recharge their spiritual batteries. Was wondering do many people do this? You want to refresh the mind imo.

Uma
09-10-2016, 04:07 PM

My understanding about developing spiritually is that it's all about burning karma and expanding your self-awareness - and that can happen in any situation. Create an intention to develop spiritually, and the universe will do the rest bringing you people and situations that grow you.

I used to think I had to do something noble and Mother Theresa like to develop spiritually, but now I think it's more about doing whatever brings me closer to my centre inside. That can happen as a software engineer too or any career or no career.

keokutah
09-10-2016, 05:57 PM
Choosing a career that you love is about as spiritual as you can get. What do you love? I think most spiritual careers fall into the categories of helping animals, helping people, helping nature, just having time for yourself or personal development.

Helping animals is very therapeutic and spiritual in nature. There are many possible jobs in that category, you could train to become a vet, a dog walker, etc. If you had enough money you could even open your own shelter.

If you enjoy helping people, you could become a humanitarian, there's many jobs that can help people, for example, doctor, paramedic, counsellor, life coach, psychic, etc.

If you enjoy helping nature, you could become a geologist, tree planter, green builders, work at a recycling facility, etc...

If you like having time with yourself to think and meditate, be an artist, writer, or find a solitary job like landscaping and gardening, where you can work and have plenty of time to think.

Jobs for personal development would be becoming an athlete, becoming a naturopath for personal wellness, etc.

Starman
09-10-2016, 08:26 PM
I think the best career is one where you can serve people. Selfless service is similar to karma yoga.
I worked in the medical field, the field of social work, and in the counseling profession; I was also a
college instructor; all of this over a period of 40-years. It was extremely rewarding and those
professions did help in my spiritual development.

Sometimes we choose a profession and sometimes a profession chooses us; look at your passions and
try to find a job that agrees with your passions. For me, I used to think of service as work but had to
learn how to serve, and when I learned how to serve it was no longer work, rather it was a joy. Love, serve,
and remember that which we are deep within.:smile:

Greenslade
10-10-2016, 09:11 AM

I may look into a new career direction, but just wondering what good career options to develop spiritually?Sort out the practicalities first and foremost, find something you want to do and will enjoy that will pay the bills. Once you've done that then you can think about the Spirituality side of it but it won't be of much use to you when you're homeless and hungry.

Spirituality is a belief system and when it becomes all-consuming in your Life it doesn't mean you're Spiritual, it means you become a religious nutcase. Sorry to be blunt. In context, Spirituality is a part of your Life and not your whole Life. The Universe and everything in it is Spirit, you are Spirit or at least have a Soul inside you so how much more Spiritual does it get?

Jared.L
10-10-2016, 10:51 AM
I think is now about what you do, but how you do it. You can grow spiritually working as a bartender, gardener or janitor....

Gem
10-10-2016, 11:13 AM

I guess it depends on a balance between what you really want to do and taking the first step on the way there.

Burntfruit
10-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Sort out the practicalities first and foremost, find something you want to do and will enjoy that will pay the bills. Once you've done that then you can think about the Spirituality side of it but it won't be of much use to you when you're homeless and hungry.

Spirituality is a belief system and when it becomes all-consuming in your Life it doesn't mean you're Spiritual, it means you become a religious nutcase. Sorry to be blunt. In context, Spirituality is a part of your Life and not your whole Life. The Universe and everything in it is Spirit, you are Spirit or at least have a Soul inside you so how much more Spiritual does it get?
I have watched a lot of NDEs, and afterwards the person often has a spiritual transformation.

For example Howard Storm was a business man, hardnosed and non-compassionate, and after his NDE he became a pastor and an artist.

I don't want to be a religious nutcase, but conversely, I don't want to be spiritually impotent when I cross over.

Actually my whole story is that I have schizophrenia, and that combined with bankruptcy is why I am not working.

I am currently starting volunteering roles.

Honestly I would love to get back in software, but nobody would hire me, and really I am not well enough to apply for hundreds of jobs.

Emmalevine
10-10-2016, 03:24 PM
I have watched a lot of NDEs, and afterwards the person often has a spiritual transformation.

For example Howard Storm was a business man, hardnosed and non-compassionate, and after his NDE he became a pastor and an artist.

I don't want to be a religious nutcase, but conversely, I don't want to be spiritually impotent when I cross over.

Actually my whole story is that I have schizophrenia, and that combined with bankruptcy is why I am not working.

Honestly I would love to get back in software, but nobody would hire me, and really I am not well enough to apply for hundreds of jobs.

Sorry about your circumstances, but great you are starting volunteering roles. I've come from a different place, but I am also about to volunteer. If circumstances allow you could perhaps try different roles until you find something that resonates with you? So many companies are seeking volunteers these days. Otherwise consider what fuels your fire and try to find something in that field, if not exactly that then something that demands similar skills. Also, think about just giving something back to your local community - thinking of others is a fast track for your development if it's born of genuine intent. Good luck!

Uma
10-10-2016, 05:30 PM
You can "spiritualize" any career by bringing the best you to it, bringing your peace, compassion, love to it, by making the work environment as uplifting for everyone as much as possible, by working in harmony with the people and things around you... It's what you bring to career that makes it spiritual.

Burntfruit
10-10-2016, 11:34 PM
You can "spiritualize" any career by bringing the best you to it, bringing your peace, compassion, love to it, by making the work environment as uplifting for everyone as much as possible, by working in harmony with the people and things around you... It's what you bring to career that makes it spiritual.
Yes I think that is a good idea.
It is interesting - the different responses. I guess there is no magic ticket, just be, and live I suppose.
:smile:

Burntfruit
10-10-2016, 11:36 PM
Sorry about your circumstances, but great you are starting volunteering roles. I've come from a different place, but I am also about to volunteer. If circumstances allow you could perhaps try different roles until you find something that resonates with you? So many companies are seeking volunteers these days. Otherwise consider what fuels your fire and try to find something in that field, if not exactly that then something that demands similar skills. Also, think about just giving something back to your local community - thinking of others is a fast track for your development if it's born of genuine intent. Good luck!
Thanks, yes volunteering is a nice thing to do. I have the opportunity so will try my best.

I would love to work in the space industry, but I am probably not smart enough. :redface:

Greenslade
11-10-2016, 09:08 AM

Honestly I would love to get back in software, but nobody would hire me, and really I am not well enough to apply for hundreds of jobs.Right, now I understand where you're coming from. I used to work with the National Schizophrenia Fellowship with people who had ;come through the system' and were trying to get back into work again. I also worked for JHP Training doing jobsearch and the like, mainly with people in the 40+ age group. It's not easy when the odds are stacked against you.

There have been any number of people who have had Spiritual transformations and turned their Lives around, I've known a few personally. Whether it's going to happen to you remains to be seen but I'd think finding some stability is paramount for you, because once you do that your Spirituality will follow suit. Don't worry about being Spiritually impotent when you cross over, Spirit has access the the collective consciousness so no Spirit is 'impotent', and this Life isn't a test to gain Spirituality. Nobody is going to judge you when you get there, just remember that the Universe is not designed for failure - yours or anyone else's.

If you're starting volunteering you're on the right track, at least that will keep your feet on the ground and you can work from there. Being in London there should be any number of places you could do some Spiritual classes or development in any number of Spiritual areas, so you could dabble a bit until you find something you can settle on and perhaps even make a career from. For instance, you could take up Reiki and eventually have your own practice so the possibilities are there. What's worth thinking about is that the Universe will make the right connections for you, if you're volunteering you won't know who you're going to meet and what will come up in conversations so all kinds of Spiritual possibilities can crop up along the way. Being in volunteering roles is Spiritual in itself because you are being of service to others. Often 'real Life' opens up a very different Spirituality if you look for it, Spirituality isn't always in the books it's often in the people around you.

If you don't think you'll get a software job, is it worth looking at freelancing or working on your own projects so that you can sell them? That way you can work on it to suit you away from the pressure you're probably used to. It's also possible that the places you're volunteering at might find your skills useful or you could 'adapt' what skills you already have - known as transferable skills 'in the trade'. That's also a career route you could think of, using your software skills in another way. It might be worth thinking about taking a trainer's qualification.

It is interesting - the different responses. I guess there is no magic ticket, just be, and live I suppose.
:smile: Exactly. It's not always about Spirituality it's all about the Spirit in you. What you're looking at here is more of a Life's Purpose kind of thing, and the best part of that is that you are your Life's Purpose. You'll get to where you need to be regardless of whether it's because of or in spite of yourself.