PDA

View Full Version : Where are you tonight and what's your weather?

earthprowler
02-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Just checking in around the US as the storm makes its way across what looks like everyone.

We're in Indiana and it started snowing yesterday, quit for a few hours and started up again this afternoon, then came the freezing rain for a couple of hours and we're back to a mixture of snow and rain, supposed to have thunderstorms sometime tonight. Level 2 emergency last I knew. Radar shows snow and freezing rain from Chicago though us to Ohio.

We "had" a ten foot awning over our three car garage that nature deemed third tries a charm and it collapsed......it's not gonna be fixable this time. uggghhhh.....February in Indiana is no fun. :icon_frown:

I know some of you have it worse than us......are you all ok?

Verunia
02-02-2011, 01:53 AM
I'm in New Hampshire. We're getting around a foot and a half of snow tomorrow... On top of over three feet of snow we have piled up on the sides of roads... lol :D

We're New Englanders though, we can handle this! We'll be fine!

Medium_Laura
02-02-2011, 02:11 AM
Virginia, a balmy 50 degrees, thank the Goddess/God/Great Spirit, the snow is missing us this time :)

Summerland
02-02-2011, 02:18 AM
I am in southeast Nebraska and we have it better than others around us. About 7-8 " of snow, gusts of wind 35 mi per hr. Wind chill tonight of -10 degrees and actual temp of 1 degree. The problem is that the snow is blowing so much that it is covering black ice on the roads. On the way to work last night had quite a scare; a snow plow turned onto the street that I had just turned onto, no problem normally, but he was driving down the wrong side of the street- right at me!! I had to pull over into a snow pile so as to not get hit. :icon_eek:

Spiritlite
02-02-2011, 02:21 AM
I'm in northern california and in this area since my husband has grown up here he has never ever seen it so warm and sunny. It is the middle of winter tomorrow and it feels like spring. Our flowers are blooming, we are seeing lots of birds....frankly I'm scared because it makes me wonder what's going on with this extreme weather all over the U.S.
Spiritlite.

Summerland
02-02-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm in northern california and in this area since my husband has grown up here he has never ever seen it so warm and sunny. It is the middle of winter tomorrow and it feels like spring. Our flowers are blooming, we are seeing lots of birds....frankly I'm scared because it makes me wonder what's going on with this extreme weather all over the U.S.
Spiritlite.

Spiritlite, the bizarre weather is not just here in the US ; it is happening around the world. Australia is getting bombarded and has been for the past month. Jerusalum had a snow storm. Massive flooding in China AND drought in other parts of China. Russia, England, Ireland are all experiencing extreme weather. Flooding rains in So America washing away towns and mountain sides.

psychoslice
02-02-2011, 02:37 AM
But don't panic, its always happened, and it will still continue to happen, the earth was in much more chaos in the past than it is now.

Summerland
02-02-2011, 02:41 AM
New updates for my location: wind chill is to drop to -30 degrees tonight; blizzard conditions due to gusts of 35 mi per hr.
Robbie, check your PM box, please.

Spiritlite
02-02-2011, 02:51 AM
Summerland very true I'm sorry...for sounding so ethnocentric but yes around the world the weather is Craaaazzzyyyy and it's eerie and weird and scary to me.
Spiritlite.

Spiritlite
02-02-2011, 02:51 AM
Psycho I guess you're right when you say don't panic, I also tend to wonder if the news or people are focusing on strange world happenings because of 2012 and "the end of the world" in that year.
Spiritlite.

SeaZen
02-02-2011, 02:52 AM
We are expecting to break the record of 23 inches of snow in a 24 hour period set in 1967 in Chicago. Thats approximately over 2/3 rds of a meter of snow for those who do not measure in US scales. Whats funny is we are also expecting a thunderstorm with lightning which is what I am experiencing now! Very cool! A once in a lifetime thing! I never experienced lightning and thunder during a blizzard. Watching this all over lake michigan is quite cool! Extreme weather has always fascinated me!

I also enjoyed the 105 degrees farenheit temperature in the summertime we had in the late 90's where everybody hung out and swam at lake michigan beach around 9pm at night time.

psychoslice
02-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Psycho I guess you're right when you say don't panic, I also tend to wonder if the news or people are focusing on strange world happenings because of 2012 and "the end of the world" in that year.
Spiritlite.
Hi Spiritlite, yea thats right, I'm waiting for a hug Cyclone to hit within 6 to 9 hours, I live up north in Australia where its all happening right now, feeling a bit scared but what can you do ?.

Summerland
02-02-2011, 03:08 AM
We are expecting to break the record of 23 inches of snow in a 24 hour period set in 1967 in Chicago. Thats approximately over 2/3 rds of a meter of snow for those who do not measure in US scales. Whats funny is we are also expecting a thunderstorm with lightning which is what I am experiencing now! Very cool! A once in a lifetime thing! I never experienced lightning and thunder during a blizzard. Watching this all over lake michigan is quite cool! Extreme weather has always fascinated me!

I also enjoyed the 105 degrees farenheit temperature in the summertime we had in the late 90's where everybody hung out and swam at lake michigan beach around 9pm at night time.

SeaZen, you have my deepest sympathies! I lived in Chicago about 1984 or so. Waiting for the bus to get to the L, we were huddling in a doorway to a shop. Many of us were saying that we would just like to die right then as it was so cold. When you get the wind barreling down the streets from Lake Michigan, it is HORRIBLE !!!! I have never experienced cold that can cut so deeply into your bones like that cold wind does.

mac
02-02-2011, 03:35 AM
AZ Valley of the Sun where it's less warm than average and a little breezy but we're deeply thankful we ain't in the center and east of the country.

From Oz through my homeland of England into the US and no doubt elsewhere we're seeing some pretty extreme weather over the recent seasons.

All part of the natural cycles of our fabulous mothership Earth - with maybe a little interference from humankind's activities....:wink:

Lets look forward to the return of average weather that we all usually experience - and hope we're not seeing the beginning of a long, destructive change. :icon_eek:

earthprowler
02-02-2011, 03:45 AM

oh please keep it there (no offense)....it'll come right at us :icon_eek:. we haven't had a "Master Attacker" since 78 when our town got 24 inches in 24 hours....shut down the city for two weeks! :rolleyes: but i was only 8 so it didn't bother me back then, lol.

Silver
02-02-2011, 03:59 AM
New updates for my location: wind chill is to drop to -30 degrees tonight; blizzard conditions due to gusts of 35 mi per hr.
Robbie, check your PM box, please.

Gosh, even with a name like Summerland, cold anyway you slice it.

I'm southern california area, was 64F today, but drops to 39F tonight.

Grew up in no. pa., know what blizzards and ice storms are all about, power outages, branches on the power lines, skidding cars, rusted out side panels from salt, watching poor mom n dad and older bros shoveling the sidewalks.

SeaZen
02-02-2011, 04:09 AM
SeaZen, you have my deepest sympathies! I lived in Chicago about 1984 or so. Waiting for the bus to get to the L, we were huddling in a doorway to a shop. Many of us were saying that we would just like to die right then as it was so cold. When you get the wind barreling down the streets from Lake Michigan, it is HORRIBLE !!!! I have never experienced cold that can cut so deeply into your bones like that cold wind does.

Sympathies? Are you kidding me? I LOVE this weather! Thats why I chose to stay here! Yes the initial change from hot to cold is a little uncomfortable but once the switch is flipped, all you have to do is put on your long underwear and bundle and enjoy the spiritual winter snow walks on the lakefront. I guess we all have our different tastes though! Thats what makes the world go around! I used to feel as you do and craved summertime all year and beaches but don't think I can do that now.

SeaZen
02-02-2011, 04:13 AM
oh please keep it there (no offense)....it'll come right at us :icon_eek:. we haven't had a "Master Attacker" since 78 when our town got 24 inches in 24 hours....shut down the city for two weeks! :rolleyes: but i was only 8 so it didn't bother me back then, lol.

I will try to keep as much snow here as I can earthprowler! Didn't you enjoy playing in the snow when you were 8? I remember making snow forts etc. and having a blast! Just bundle up, keep warm, get back out there, and enjoy!

Summerland
02-02-2011, 04:13 AM
Silvergirl, actually we are missing the worst of it. For some reason it always worse to the north, south and east of us. It is almost as if there was a horseshoe around us, deflecting the brunt elsewhere. Still nasty, but could be like it is in Chicago-- they are getting totally hammered.:icon_eek:

Spiritlite
02-02-2011, 04:35 AM
I"m getting nervous that this weather is the beginning of an end.......
Spiritlite.

mac
02-02-2011, 04:37 AM
It's not the first big storm and won't be the last - nil desperandum.

arive nan
02-02-2011, 05:59 AM
I am in the northern part of Illinois, and we have thunder snow :)

Silver
02-02-2011, 09:52 AM
The wind has kicked up a lot tonight. I was asleep for about 2-1/2 hrs and the wind rattling windows woke me up just now...

psychoslice
02-02-2011, 10:01 AM
The Cyclone is getting really mad here right now, I'm all by myself and its really frightening..:icon_frown:

Smiler
02-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Im in the lounge sitting on me bottom typing this ... its very hot and humid.
Im in Victoria Australia and worried for all the Queenslanders with a massive cyclone ( biggest since 1918) about to hit apparently in few hours.. :(

Prayers sent ... the weather is worrying
:)

Smiler
02-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Cyclone Yasi

Oh my its a really big one. :(

Please pray .. I am

Smiler
02-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Psycho

I did not know u were an Aussie.. stay safe my friend .. my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

* Aussie Hug*

Deb
x

sound
02-02-2011, 11:03 AM
I am on the east coast of Australia ... central NSW ... doing a sleepover shift at work (fun fun not lol )... it has been an extremely hot day with temps of 38 degrees ... now it has cooled off a little and at 10pm it is balmy outside with a slight breeze ...

sound
02-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Thoughts are with you PS and all others who are facing the brunt of it :hug3:

Verunia
02-02-2011, 05:17 PM
I hope all you guys in Australia are okay and stay safe. :hug::hug:

Silver
02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm thinking of you too ps, and all the rest of you ~ prayers and thoughts with you all http://fi.somethingawful.com/images/smilies/emot-love.gif

mike bike
02-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi...I'm in the UK and (compared to normal) we've had a very cold Winter,with about a foot of snow here in Lincolnshire....the snow has gone now,but it was settled for a long time...the footpaths were covered in packed snow that froze for days on end...they were deadly to walk on.

We're now in another cold spell....winds straight from the North East most of the time....today I was in town and despite wearing Winter clothing I was still cold.

It's a bit warmer than recently,but there's still time for another spell of Winter....There's an old saying here about your weather and ours...words to the effect of "What they get comes here a bit later"...so often true in the past....let's wait and see.(lol)...but I hope not.

Blessings......Mike :smile:

CuriousSnowflake
02-02-2011, 08:42 PM

Hey, that's my old stomping grounds! I live about 2 hours SW of Chicago now, and we got the thundersnow here too. Just shoveled out about 20 inches of snow off a 2 1/2 car driveway. ::pant::

Oh lord, I remember that summer... '94 I think? I was working in a warehouse the day it hit 107; walking around doing pick'n'pack with sweat literally dripping off the end of my nose. Management sprang for Popsicles for everyone that day, and few thing in my life have ever tasted that good.

CS

CuriousSnowflake
02-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Sympathies? Are you kidding me? I LOVE this weather! Thats why I chose to stay here! Yes the initial change from hot to cold is a little uncomfortable but once the switch is flipped, all you have to do is put on your long underwear and bundle and enjoy the spiritual winter snow walks on the lakefront. I guess we all have our different tastes though! Thats what makes the world go around! I used to feel as you do and craved summertime all year and beaches but don't think I can do that now.

Spoken like a true Chicagoan! Life is all about the contrasts, and Chi-Town gets it in spades. Come July, when it's 97 with 140% humidity, we'll wish we bottled some of this, but I too wouldn't want it any other way.

CS

Spiritlite
02-02-2011, 08:52 PM
hope you guys in Australia are okay
Spiritlite.

CuriousSnowflake
02-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I"m getting nervous that this weather is the beginning of an end.......
Spiritlite.

Nah, don't fret over it. It's just climate change catching up to us. And they're talking a beast of a La Nina this year, which means a slew of hurricanes coming at the US more likely than not.

Sow the wind.....

CS

TrainsAndSewingMachines
02-02-2011, 09:13 PM
The storm is making its way over to Canada as well.
Seems like the whole cities shutting down today, malls, restaurants, schools. I've got a snowday from work :)!

Although were I am it really doesn't seem that terrible outside right now, just lots of wind and a a foot and a bit of snow.

Sending good wishes to all of those stuck in bad weather!
-TrainsAndSewingMachines

mac
02-02-2011, 09:17 PM
The storm is making its way over to Canada as well.
Seems like the whole cities shutting down today, malls, restaurants, schools. I've got a snowday from work :)!

Although were I am it really doesn't seem that terrible outside right now, just lots of wind and a a foot and a bit of snow.

Sending good wishes to all of those stuck in bad weather!
-TrainsAndSewingMachines

The way it's reported here in the US is that it's "snow from Canada"....:wink:

You guys are to blame - ay?

TrainsAndSewingMachines
03-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Oh is it now?

Well I'll have to teach you all the fine skill of igloo building! hahah!

-TrainsAndSewingMachines