PDA

View Full Version : Does the Universe support authenticity?

Luminary
28-05-2016, 08:51 PM
I've searched some earlier threads. They're old and most of the contributors are either deactivated or suspended. Hope this interests someone.

Observation of life experiences and introspection have given me a two-sided theory:

One side is that discipline is important when our values are giving us a sincere motivation to do something or abstain from doing something, despite any amount of burden is felt at the thought of doing it. In such situations, I have found peace and fulfillment in doing the difficult thing, even if it was not greatly enjoyable.

The other side is that, when there is nothing within me that values doing (or abstaining) from "______" but a sense of obligation, fear of judgment from others or guilt etc, the discipline is not only laborious and energy draining, it is unprofitable for anyone concerned. This can be unsavory to realists who may say, "Easy for you to say when I'm pulling your weight while you stay true to yourself."

Am I too idealistic? Or have others found that life/the Universe seems to support such authenticity in significant and tangible ways?

Baile
28-05-2016, 10:24 PM
The only discipline that matters to me comes easily and naturally. My higher self inspires and helps with what I know in my heart I need to have happen: sticking with my whole food diet to maintain my weight, and saying goodbye forever to habits and addictions like alcohol and smoking. But if my intellectual self thinks it must to do this or that for whatever reason, I never stick with it.

firstandlast
28-05-2016, 10:35 PM
The universe supports everything in existence; however only for a period of duration and then it undergoes degradation-- Unless you have the ability to transmute it to a higher quality of order, but unless the higher quality order is free of contaminates (opposing order); then it too will suffer the same fate of degradation, though the higher quality the longer lasting it will maintain--

Mr Interesting
28-05-2016, 10:43 PM
Really it might just be a matter of going out there, in there, whatever and being whatever version of authentic springs to mind, or heart... or even bones as the case may be and giving it all enough of a go... that you find out.

Luminary
28-05-2016, 11:09 PM
The only discipline that matters to me comes easily and naturally.

This is the principle by which I operated during most of my Christian walk, though I was a little out of the ordinary in the community of believers. I believed in "grace" over "works" and it seemed as if life was smooth for me coming from that perspective. I am relearning old lessons now with a greater level of openness.

Really it might just be a matter of going out there, in there, whatever and being whatever version of authentic springs to mind, or heart... or even bones as the case may be and giving it all enough of a go... that you find out.

Thanks, Mr Interesting. I find that encouraging. That's what I'm doing and I post my questions to give myself reality checks - sometimes I get lost in my own contemplations and need some alternate perspective.:redface:

wstein
29-05-2016, 02:09 AM
I've searched some earlier threads. They're old and most of the contributors are either deactivated or suspended. Hope this interests someone.

Observation of life experiences and introspection have given me a two-sided theory:

One side is that discipline is important when our values are giving us a sincere motivation to do something or abstain from doing something, despite any amount of burden is felt at the thought of doing it. In such situations, I have found peace and fulfillment in doing the difficult thing, even if it was not greatly enjoyable.

The other side is that, when there is nothing within me that values doing (or abstaining) from "______" but a sense of obligation, fear of judgment from others or guilt etc, the discipline is not only laborious and energy draining, it is unprofitable for anyone concerned. This can be unsavory to realists who may say, "Easy for you to say when I'm pulling your weight while you stay true to yourself."

Am I too idealistic? Or have others found that life/the Universe seems to support such authenticity in significant and tangible ways? I am just confused by your question. You refer to discipline, abstaining, burden, peace, fear, judgement, obligation, guilt, energy, labor, values, profit, and concern then ask about idealism and authenticity. I don't see the first list as all that related to the last two items.

Idealism has to do with you believing something (the universe in this case) follows some 'rules' that if not thwarted come to some overall good. For most people this has to do with them wanting others to do things their way. More often than not, in this universe, people follow their own ways and ideals not that of others.

Authenticity has to do with following your own nature/morals/ideals. As far as I can tell this universe is utterly neutral in this regard. It neither supports nor discourages being authentic. Note that most things in this universe follow their nature only in that they lack any means to do otherwise.